Green Mountain Audio Contiuum 12 SW Floorstanding Speakers

12" Home Theater/Audiophile Subwoofer

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have used this subwoofer for about 3 months. I was not familiar with Green Mountain until reading an excellent review in Home Theater Magazine (rated 98 out of 100). I was able to purchase it for a very good price so I thought I would try it. I teamed up this passive subwoofer with a Sony TA-N55ES amplifier that provides 300 watts. What a supprise! The best subwoofer I have ever heard and I have tried and listened to some pretty good ones.....Paradyne PW-2500, Velodyne HG-15, and the like.

The reviewer before me had something wrong. Setup or something because he is very, very wrong. The base on the SW-12 is TIGHT, DEEP, and yes, it can SHAKE the walls. This is by far the deepest, tightest, cleanest base I have heard. If there is a Green Mountain dealer near you you should try it and compare it with any of the top guns. You will hear what I mean.

Submitted by David R. Kuipers a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is a pretty sorry excuse for a subwoofer. It's an OK at best woofer, but certainly NOT a subwoofer. I have the 12SW in my home right now for an audition. I am driving the 12SW off a Paradigm X30 crossover using a SimAudio Celeste W4250SE power amp (the 12SW is a PASSIVE sub). The mighty Celeste is known for very strong and well-controlled bass. It bridges to 1000 watts mono; I used both the mono mode and drove the 12SW via a single channel of the Celeste in stereo mode. My conclusions regarding the 12SW are unchanged using either approach.
To whit: the 12SW has no useable output below 30 Hz. With organ music or test tones in the low 20 Hz range, the woofer distorts very audibly and the port she's a chuffin'. I'm sorry, but I don't consider a subwoofer to be worth the expense if it can't at least get into the lower 20 Hz range, otherwise, what's the point? Full-range loudspeakers go just as low as this guy. Considering its cost and the fact that an external amplifier is needed to boot, this is very poor value.

FWIW, I've owned and/or auditioned scores of subwoofers, so I'd like to think my opinion has no pre-conceived bias against this product or company; just stating the facts. Sorry for the poor review, but I calls em as I sees em.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Eric Conyers a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
Well I figured I would post this since I was getting a ton of email requesting contact information for Green Mountain Audio.
Green Mountain Audio
111 South 28th Street
Colorado Springs, CO 80904
(719) 636-2500

A web page is in development stages at this time (6/21/99) so be looking for it soon.

Submitted by Eric Conyers a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1998

Bottom Line:
I picked one up from Green Mountain Audio directly and am TOTALLY impressed with it. I have it running off a Marantz mono-block amp currently and it will literally knock the pictures off the walls. This is quite possibly the best sub on the market in its size. I would not trade this sub for anything else....except maybe a Contiuum 15SW 15" sub!
Well worth the price and it gets an astounding 25 stars.....well it would if the scale went that high....