Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference Floorstanding Speakers

4.94/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $3995.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by daviethek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2009

Bottom Line:
I am on year 4 with my Gallo Reference pair. Still extremely enjoyable. I still enjoy the nearly complete realism offered by these accurate speakers. They have the least amount of "speaker sound" I have ever heard . They nearly always sond like the source material and not themselves. Awesome....I am already on my second set of electronics and I think I have arrived at a system sound that gets the job done for me. In general, they seem to sould best with more laid back sources and source material.. Mid to upper shelf CD players are recommended. CD players that are described as "laid back yet detailed" in presentation might sound the best. I have a highly modified sony SACD player and with SACD material, it approaches analog sound and feel when played through the Gallos. I have dabbled with tube preamps and since the speakers are so revealing the quality of the preamp is brought to the forefront very quickly. It will take a highly refined tube pre-amp to satisfy with these speakers. Until I can afford that, i am running with a trusted solid state Pre/Power. One thing is for sure, practically every box speaker sounds like a damn box after listening to the Gallos. I heard some properly positioned Joseph speakers recently, which sell for roughly twice the Galllos and man, they sounded boxy to me. These speakers are a spoiler. Since they are extremely accurate, you can easily dettect flaws in the recorded material which will steer you towards making sure you purchase good recordings. Thismay be my last speaker. Bravo to Gallo and continued success.

Submitted by Ed L a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
My 2 channel audio system... sony scd777es, acurus rl-11, odyssey audio stratos, and the gallo nucleus reference(aluminum spheres on barcelona stands) updated with ref II drivers. ICs and speaker cables are Millersound large guage.

These gallos cast a hugh soundstage, deep/wide/tall, with a large sweet spot. The cdt is very fast... transient attack is amazing. Given a good quality source, these speakers manage to be detailed and not harsh or gainy.
I also own the sonatinas which are also great speakers. The gallo have a very good midrange with voice and instruments; however, the midrange of the sonatinas are so smooth and liquid... detail is not washed over...a speaker I can listen to for very extended periods without a hint of listner fatigue. These are the original versions with the beveled upper front edges. Both are beautiful to the eye as well... in a classical formal way for my briarwood sonatinas and in a modern way for my champagne gallos.

Bass extension and power are good for the sonatina and a bit better for the gallos. Compared to the best, both are not up there with Von Schweikerts, Wilsons,... in absolute terms. For me, I enjoy the music with the gallos and the silverlines.

Considering the cost, a very very good speaker.

Submitted by Richard Unanue a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
As a follow up to my previous review, the Gallos (now almost four years old!)are going incredibly well. For those of you who want to maintain a stable impedance curve but up the sensitivity for low powered amps or OTLs etc., Gary Pelled at Gallo suggests shifting from the Hovland Musicaps (I was using 5 mfd) to TRT Wondercap 6's. You can use the higher value and still get really sweet highs. Best, Richard

Submitted by Richard Unanue a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
Can't disagree with all reviews of this marvellous speaker. Have one of the earlier models and with the possibility of external adjustments and modifications would recommend to new buyers to seriously consider the space frame References.
Would disagree with one aspect of the comments. The amplifier match would under ordinary circumstances limit these speakers to non-SET, low powered amps and OTLs. And yet the best combination I have heard on the Gallo References has been the Transcendent OTL with all of 30 wpc in a 18/30 room! This compared to VTLs, ARC, and a Pass single end. Wasn't the only one with that opinion. Believe the reason for the incredible difference was that Simplicity Ruled. In other words, you have a signal direct from a tube to an enclosureless, crossoverless speaker. Folks, the difference was not subtle. Good listening.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Erik a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
First off, let me just say that these speakers are incredible. I've recently updated my sound system and purchased a used pair of the Gallo reference's. I've owned some decent speakers (Def Tech, Magneplanar, and Klipsh), and have auditioned a number of high end systems and am an avid live music fan. I know its cliche, but these speakers are awesome in their ability to recreate the live musical event. A number of my friends (non-audiophiles) have made comments such as, "Wow I feel like I'm front row dead center", and "It feels like I can reach out and touch Sting as he sings".
Like Mark S., I too have the previous generation Gallo Reference system in the space frame. While I like the sound and definitely the look of the current generation, I really prefer the adjustability of the older system. In speaking with Gary at Gallo, he mentioned that they intended for the older speakers to be the most adjustable speakers ever designed. The tweeter output and rolloff can be adjusted through the use of different capacitive or resistive values. The speakers can also be positioned independently. It's just these features; however, that can make speaker set up a lengthy process.

My current positioning in a 14'x18' room is 4-3/4' from the rear wall by 3'from the side walls, with 7' between the speakers and 10' to the listening position. This room opens up into a fairly large hallway and then pantry. Due to this, the room has very poor low frequency performance. To compensate, I've positioned the Mid/Tweeter units pointing forward and toe'd in a couple of degrees, while also tilted back a few degrees. The bottom bass ball faces the rear wall (as recommended by Anthony Gallo) and is toe'd out a bit toward the side wall. Positioning the lower bass ball this way has two effects: increased bass output and even greater 3D imaging---no doubt due to the delay of the tweeter and bottom bass balls midrange as they reflect off the back wall. Finally, I've hung a large, thick blanket on the rear wall from the roof to about 4' feet from the floor, midway between the speakers. This cleans up some of the reflections off the rear wall and brings images into even greater focus.

To rap it up the positives about these speakers are:
-Transparency (I need to get within 2-3' of the speakers to actually tell they are emitting the sounds I'm hearing)
-Imaging (3D, with very clear delineation between instruments and people's voices)
-Speed (These speakers are as fast as the Magneplanar's I've owned and as fast as any ML ESL I've ever heard)
-High End Clarity, without graininess (The CDT tweeter needs to be experienced to really understand this statement)

The negatives are:
-The lowest octave or two of bass is not reproduced as loudly as it could be (I don't feel I'm really missing anything, though I know a good fast sub will help to extend the freq. response and help to increase the soundstage even further)
-Looks (the older models I own are not as nice looking as the latest version, but the price and adjustability more than makes up for it)

Notes to owners of the older Gallo Systems, with externally adjustable capicitance/resistance for the CDT tweeter. Check out the TRT Infinicaps, instead of the included Hovland Musicaps. The infinicaps cost less and sound better. Make sure you discuss with a knowledgeable person though as a multi-capacitor network will create the most desireable, transparent high end you'e ever experienced. Oh yeah, when ordering the Infinicaps, make sure to ask about their SETI Caps, which try to recreated the warmth of a single ended tube amp---awesome. My 4 microfarad capacitor network is made up of 2x2 microfarad caps, plus 1x.01 microfarad cap, plus 1x.1 microfarad cap per speaker.

System:
-Monarchy SE100 Delux Single Ended, Class A monoblock SS Amplifiers
-Monarchy Model 33 Class A Line Preamp and dual 20-bit dac
-Sony D100 DAT
-Aiwa Portable CD player (upgrading soon, but the results with the rest of the system are still pretty amazing)
-Homebrew Speaker Cables-Cost $75/6' pair---Sound Awesome
-Homebrew RCA and XLR interconnects $20/1meter pair---Also sound awesome---See www.soundstage.com, look for Synergizing Section by Greg Weaver, find his write up on Signal Tape, you won't be sorry
-Anthony Gallo Nucleus (previous generation)

Finally, the best part of all. I paid $1400 for the used pair of Gallo Reference's in AS NEW Condition. I'm in audio heaven.

Support Live Music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gallo Nucleus Reference 3 review

Just posted my review of these speakers to Audio Review. Here's the link; [url]http://www.audioreview.com/Speakers/Gallo%20Acoustics/PRD_327589_3646_1711691crx.aspx#reviews[/url]Read More »