Focal Mini Utopia Floorstanding Speakers

4.86/5 (29 Reviews) MSRP : $6500.00

Submitted by Ronald a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2015

Bottom Line:
Bought used (perhaps 3rd hand), for around USD 2.5k with original stand. Very please with the sound especially from mid bass to high freq. Very revealing and fast sounding pair of speaker with astonishing sound stage and depth. If nick picking it must be the lower and lowest octaves that is soft or missing (if you have really hear hi-end speakers you will know what I meant). Not to worry I have overcome this shortcoming by partnering the Mini Utopia with the Proac Response ER-1 subwoofer. It was a match make in heaven as the ER1 is able to keep pace with the very fast Utopia. Setting and fine tuning the ER1 was done within 15mins. Now the Mini Utopia sound exactly like a full range hi-end speaker with the wonderful imaging of a standmount. This is a keepers sort of speaker with great looks in a moderate size living room.

Submitted by Peter Ulrich a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2012

Bottom Line:
Lightning fast, superb transparency, dynamcis, soundstage, easy to drive, high sensitivity. Looks great especially with matching stands which you have to bite the bullet and purchase despite the high price as they provide an exact match and height relative to listening position is absolutely critical with these speakers. Capable of very high volumes without distortion and sound superb with any type of music. Used with Lavardin IT and Nordost Valkyrja cables in my system. I completely agree with another reviewers comment here that these are really hard to macth with a sub (even the known great ones) due to their speed. I have an REL B1 which has worked great with every other monitor I have tried them with but not with the Mini's. The REL obviously could not keep up with the Minis and everything sounded more sluggish with the sub in the system. The good news is that you don't really need a sub with these in a reasonable size room with proper placement. An oustanding product from a solid company that makes theirs own drivers.

Submitted by nsinclairb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
Having had the minis for just over a year, I have had great problems to get them to reproduce the superb sound stage that my Quad 57s used to give me. Maybe my room is a little too large for the speakers or maybe my speaker cables are too short. Having said that, the sound from them is great and once I had resigned myself I thoroughly enjoy the fidelity that these speakers give throughout the range of music that I play - anything except hip hop, garage, house, punk or Max Bygraves.

Purchased At:   EBAY

Submitted by Norman Sinclair-Baines a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I only picked up these 2nd hand speakers today. I have had a pair of Quad 57s for 17 years and a good friend has a pair of Mezzos so I thought I would try a pair of JM labs for myself.
Not having the same budget as his I found my new speakers through ebay and wired them into my Audio Analogue Bellini/Donizetti amp system with Linn LP12/Ittok/MCR Spectral and Sugden CD player. I won't go into detail about the cables.
I haven't yet got the positioning right but I can tell that the Minis are faster and a little brighter than the Quads. The bass is a little fuller as well.
I am sure we are going to get on fine and will update this once I have got the soundstage right

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   from EBAY U.K (paid

Submitted by SL Wang a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
Outstanding speakers.very good in mid and high. Bass is good enough for me. Don't want to turn off the system once you turn on.

Purchased At:   Taipei