Focal Mezzo Utopia Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $13000.00

Submitted by Bryan Hunt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
My search for a stereo speaker system is over. These speakers are as good as they get, IMO. Maybe a little better bass slam would be nice, but overall, I've not heard a better speaker anywhere. Wonderful deep and wide soundstage, great balance of tone, absolute clarity, For instance, I listened to Led Zeppelin II for about the 100th time,, and it was like the first time I ever heard it. The detail is astounding. I run these with an AudioPrism Mantissa pre, McCormack DNA1 rev. A amp, and Rotel RCD 975 CD player, all coupled with highend Belden cables. At full new price of $12,000, I'm not sure I'd buy them (I can't afford that sort of cash). But I got them preowned for $4200, and they are awesome. My former speakers were Kef Reference 4 and B&W cdm9nt. and B&W cdm7nt. Those are all nice in their own way, but can't compare with these Mezzo Utopias. Highly recommended..

Submitted by john Sham a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
Some people reviewed this speaker was so harsh and that's not real. I bought mezzo about 6 months and this speaker is so amazing. I got a lot of hi-end speaker before, like Watt5.1 & puppy, ProAc response four,etc...but no one can better than or close to this speaker's performance. It is very easy to drive and with very great sound in many ways, especially in high level sounding that still very smooth and extended without bright and sharp to your ears.

Submitted by er doc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
The fantastic guys at Paradise Audio in San Jose set up the speakers with YBA front end and integrated amp. Wiring by audioquest. These speakers are stunning to gaze upon. They disappear replaced by a transparent soundstage. Ever slightly on the warm side of neutral. Extremely musical. allows me to relax and just listen to the music

Submitted by James a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
Please!!! People who cannot afford these speakers and therefore develop some kind of jealous hatred for them...STOP WRITING REVIEWS!! It is of no use to any of us to have to sift through your ramblings from your 3 minute audition while the shop was setting them up for a real customer! I auditioned this speaker years ago while I was selling my Thiel CS 6's and completely fell in love with every aspect of it...except price. Thank the strong Canadian market, for now I am set to purchase a pair! They simply do everything better than any other speaker I have heard or owned.

Purchased At:   American Sound, Toro

Submitted by Barry Johnson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Hi, i heard these JM Lab Mezzo Utopia speakers in NYC. I heard them on an impressive system. The system was Krell KAS Amps, Pass 01 Preamp, Jadis JS-1 Tube Dac, which has a 60 pound tubed power supply and the Jadis JS 1 Tube transport. This transport looked gorgeous and weighed 66 pounds. The speaker cables were Mit 850 with the matching Mit interconnects. The system was also using that PS Audio Power Plant. Let me sum it up like this. This system sounded unbelievable. The speakers sounded fast airy sweet and the bass was tight and upbeat. It was definitely one of the best sounding systems i ever heard. But they also had some amazing components on them. The Krell amps list for 32,000 dollars. That Jadis Dac and Transport list for 28,000. I would like to hear the JM Lab Mezzo speakers, on equipment like Mcintosh MC 352 Amp or the Mccormack DNA 2 amp, or a good high end amp thats like 5000 dollars.

Purchased At:   NYC