Focal Electra 920 Floorstanding Speakers

4.93/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $5000.00

Submitted by Torleif Soderlund a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a great speaker and quite a bargain here in Europe compared to US prices. I previously owned B&W 801 series 2 speakers and compared to them the JMLab 920.1 is more transparent, less colored and has a much tighter bass. After having them for a year I blew the tweeter. I decided to change the tweeter to the same model which is used in the new Electra-line (926,936,946).The change was done for both speakers. For those who do not have blown their tweters I urge you to make this change . It is a surprisingly cheap upgrade. The new tweeter model is one of the best on market and is easily replaced by anyone who can use a solder iron. The sound improves after a break-in period astonishingly.

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
Connected to a Denon 3802 the sound is really cool.
Due to the room I've a loss of clarity but the problem don't comes from the speaker but the wall and the floor (many reflections).

Submitted by Lee F a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have 3 stereo systems, using the JMLab Electra 920.1's in my ofice/listening room set-up.
I am using SET tube mono blocks and the Electras sound awesome. They are easy to listen to and sound very natural, especially with small ensembles and acoustic instruments. I mostly listen to Jazz and Classic. I am very happy with the Electras.
I use them with an ARCAM alpha 9 CD player.

To get the very low notes, I am using a REL Stadium III subwoofer (goes down to 16Hz), a great piece by itself that does a lot to the entire frequency range.

The Electras don't need a sub, but I was so fascinated with the REL Stadium III that I had to get it.

The Electras are great !

Submitted by EJ a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
As a long time B&W fan and owner, I was pre-wired to remain
with them at upgrade time. Nevertheless, since I was looking
to spend $5 large I was determined to do my due diligence and audition a variety of well respected makes.

The B&W 803N were very nice: With the typical excellent
sound staging and crystal clarity I enjoy with B&Ws, but
they were analytical compared to the JMLab 902.1s. The
902.1s are lush in comparison - not bloomy or overly euphonic, just musically rich and satisfying. Another
thing I liked about them is their sensitivity. No problem
pushing them with my 27w tube amp. That's barely enough to
make a B&W twitch - so I gained some versatility.

If you are in the market for full size speakers in this price range (and above), I strongly recommend you listen
to these speakers, and for that matter the rest of the
JMLab line.

Purchased At:   Sound Exchange

Submitted by Boris a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
This are an exelent speakers and good value for money. I'm using 920.1 for stereo and front chanels for surround. Before buing 920.1 I've additioned a lot of other speakers in the same and higher pricerange like Sonus Faber Grand piano, JMlab mini utopia, Dynaudio Confidence 5 etc. But I found Electra 920.1 is a very good value and perfomance. You don't even need high powered amlifires to run them they are very easy to drive but for the best perfomance you need a good quality high current amp and good speaker cables.
I will probobly change them only for Wilson Audio 5.1 or 6
wich I additiond couple of month ago those are absolute killers, they sound life a like.
My system at the moment is:

Toshiba 9200 DVD-A player
JM Lab Cobalt 807 rears
MIT 750 plus speaker cabels
Tara Labs Speaker and interconnects
Kimber and Transparent Interconnects

And in my system JM 920.1 works really well, but I'll still looking to upgrade to Wilsons.

Purchased At:   sound and vision