Focal Cobalt 816 S Floorstanding Speakers

• Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
  • Dimensions 980 x 220 x 308 mm

Submitted by troygarren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
I paid $300.00 on craigslist (like new), so I will not be as critical as some. I agree they are bright, but I like metal tweeters. They are also bass shy, but any speaker without two 8 inch woofers or one 10 inch woofer in my opinion needs a powered sub. I use a powered sub. If you can get a pair for under $600.00 (use a good sub) then I think you will be happy.

Submitted by HighTech RedNeck a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
A bright articulate and bass shy speaker that desperately needs a good subwoofer like a REL or a good Paradigm model such as the PS1000, which blends with the JMLab easily. I have owned both the 816 and 826 JMLab speakers. The 826 is only slightly better in IMO. It has a better midrange and slightly better bass. If you have bright or harsh electronics, look out! This speaker will make it sound twice as harsh. However, if used with the right equipment it can give good results.

Submitted by stryker a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
I want to post a review now although these still need some breaking in. According to another audiophile whose opinion I repsect, they need like 300 hours of playing time to really open up and lose some of their brightness. However, their "brighter" presentation is their signature sound and, from what I've heard, common of French-made speakers.

What I haven't seen written about the Focals is how fast these speakers are. They are fast! They give an effortlessness to the flow of sound and give reasonably-powered amplification total control over themn. Although I can see how someone with less than great digital gear would find them too lean. I don't see that. I see them as very revealing due to their speed and ability to reveal the flaws of your amplification or your source. If your digital source is not up to task and has a poor output stage, you will hear the grit. The stock opamps in a lot of players will come through these speakers as sounding too harsh.

I would imagine that a vinyl rig would sound wonderful through these as they will definitely show off the smoothness and musicality of a vinyl rig. The bass is a little lean and room treatment would be critical to getting the most out of them but, then again, room treatment should be something that anyone spending thousands of dollars on a stereo should be doing anyway. Currently, I find the bass accurate and not straining to reproduce anything it cannot.

I will have another review/update when they open up a bit more and I get a higher-end digital source. Right now, they are bi-amped with an Arcam Alpha 10 and an Alpha 8. However, I suspect I will grow to love thier sound and to apprecaite the ability to match them with good ss amplification or tube amplification.

Either way, if you treat these speakers with good equipment, you will be more than satisfied with thier detail, speed, and definitely with their imaging. I do not come from lots of experience with speakers, but I did hear them demo'd at Tweeter against the Polk LSi15 and the JM Lab Profile speakers. I found the Profiles to be too polite for me, and the Polks didn't have nearly the same resolution of the 816S. This was the speaker that came out on top for me against these other two. They had a sound I thought would mate well with rock and jazz. So far, they haven't disappointed.

Submitted by shark777 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers as a DEMO special for $800.00 pair in the classic/light cherry style.I am extremely pleased with my purchase.They look as great as they sound.My prior speakers were the JBL E-80 (that i love) and have been moved to my basement system.I read all the reviews on here before I purchased and they were very helpfull.I run a NAD T-753 and it's a great combo.You don't need seperates to run these like others have suggested.The NAD moves these with plenty of gas.I would agree that they may sound bright with a Onkyo/Yammy ect..The Bass is excellent and super clear.Some reported or complained about Bass on these but I had no such issues.The bootom line >grab these speakers at these silly low prices.5 Stars.

Purchased At:   Sound By Singer

Submitted by prc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
Just an update to my previous Review:
After a few more month, I've stuck the speakers on 20mm thick granite bases with Clearlight RDC 2 spikes (instead of using supplied spikes).
(original review was with no spikes (rubber feet) on my hardwood floor).

Imaging has becomed much more focused than it was before (not that it was ever bad). The higher frequencies and vocal are much more correctly positioned and alive so to speak. Depth of soundstage much improved. Biggest difference in my opinion was with sharper bass. There's also more of it, but this is most likely due to moving speakers 10cm (4") closer to back wall.
Speakers are positioned about 70cm from back wall (27.5"), 150cm from side walls (60") and just slightly turned in.
IMO it really works great with my Naim CD5/Nait5/flatcap combo.

For those who like quick reviews: :)

Put it on spikes and solid base to make it really show its full potential!

Purchased At:   Local Distributor