Focal Chorus 715 Floorstanding Speakers

4.87/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $949.00

JMLab Chorus Floor Standing Speakers - Chorus 715 Black/ 2-Way Bass Reflex/ 125 Watts Maximal Power Handling/ 6-1/2'' Polyglass Mid-Bass/ Black Ash Finish

Submitted by roger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
These are great speakers. Very transparent and detailed. I have tried it with Yamaha, Marantz Denon and Roksan Kandy L3 amps. The low level bass js adequate provided you use cables that are warm sounding. With the Yamaha and Roksan, I use Tara Labs spectrum 2A ic and Van Den Hul cs-122 speaker cable. Bass is great...it is solid and lingers in the air!

Speakers were initially bright but settled down after about 30 hours of use. For amps, at least 65 w @ 8 ohms is optimal. My marantz pm6003 at 45w couldn't produce as good a result as the yamaha amp at 65w.Probably the amp was not dynamic enough. With the Denon at 50w the sound was bassy. With Yamaha and Roksan, I got the best results.

Submitted by Marcos Cezar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
I recommended this products peoples at likes sound of the excellent quality.

Purchased At:   imports

Submitted by Gino Lavoie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought my JM Lab Chorus 715 speakers in February 2004. My budget was 900,00$ CDN. I listened and compared some speakers in the same price range from PSB, Paradigm, B&W, Rega and JMLab. I chose the JM Lab speakers because they are a good match for analog and digital sources. I like the qualities of these speakers. The treble is clear but not bright or dark. The bass is tight and clear but not confused or too much warm. The medium is nice and natural but not overloaded emotionally. They are less dynamic than the Paradigm Studio 100 but more dynamic than the Rega Alya. In fact, it's the more neutral speakers that I have ever listened in its price category. It's not complicated to match a cable, a source or a cartridge with these speakers because they are transparent and reveal the personnality of the source. Also, the tweeter is a at the right level with my ears when I'm sitting on my sofa. I don't regret my choice. In sum, if you have a warm and dynamic amp with analog and digital sources, these speakers are for you.

Purchased At:   Filtronique, Montrea

Submitted by f-21 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
These speakers turned out to be an excellent value! 900.00 in CDN dollars! I use an extensively modified, vintage tube system - Dynaco st-70, Dynaco pas-2x, Eico hft-92, Nad 541i, and a rega planar 2. When I first put these speakers into the system I found them to be a little bright. After about 10 months of "breaking in" they sound fabulous. Excellent wide soundstage, treble, bottom-end (tight!) as well as a warm expansive midrange reproduction. These speakers are a relatively easy load to drive and are quite sensitive (91db). These qualities seem to make them a fine match for tube amplifiers - I certainly enjoy what I am hearing. If you can find them buy'em. I also audition the 925 and liked these alot better. Five stars for these little sleepers.

Purchased At:   Commercial Electroni

Submitted by Frank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
These speakers saved me. I bought a Harman Kardon receiver (HK3370) and multiple cd player (FL 8380) and the sound quality was far from good with two different types of speakers. I was almost at the point were I just wanted to get rid of the (expensive) HK products. Finally, there was a discount on the JMlab Chorus 715 and I could test them with my HK products. The result was very good and the speakers, especially when bi-wired (yes, there is a difference), could compensate most of the problems I had with the receiver and the cd player (sound not clear, lack of highs and bass, too much medium, not enough dynamics, boring). I wouldn't say that I now have the best stereo for the price but thanks to the JMLab's it became a very decent set. I can imagine that, with a good quality (NAD, Cambridge, Rotel, etc.) amplifier and cd-player, the sound must just be wonderful.

Some of you may think that I just had a speaker problem and that the HK products are not the problem. Well, I don't think so because I made comparisons with another (cheaper) HiFi set and the result with my former speakers was much better. What is nevertheless possible is that the HK products have strengths (high current, power) and weaknesses (highs, dynamics) which make the JMlab's an ideal match (or saver) for them.

Purchased At:   Switzerland