Focal Chorus 714 S Floorstanding Speakers

• Nominal impedance 8 Ohms
  • Crossover frequencies 400Hz/2400Hz

Submitted by Mike Jarrett a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2013

Bottom Line:
Accurate throughout the frequency range. Excellent dynamics. Soundstage extends far beyond the limits of the speakers, both left and right, and front and back. Long break-in cycle. Well-controlled bass. Easy on the amplifier.

Submitted by Bluey a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
After many years of 'home theatre' I decided to setup a stand alone 2 channel system;
The last one I had was a 1970's Marantz Gold which served me well.

Short story is I wanted quality without having to mortgage my home, so the long search began.
I finally decided on the Cambridge 'Azur' 650A + 650C and a nice pair of Focal 714s Speakers which had been on demonstration in a local Hi-Fi store.
The store owner gave me a great deal on the combination which included quality interconnects and speaker cable.
I couldnt believe my ears when I played some of my favourite CD's, some I have had a while.
Totally consuming with a lively and smooth responce to all.
Obviously there are higher levels, both cost and quality wise but for me this combination is great.

Submitted by Lazzdog a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
When I originally went into the high end store to hear these I was blown away, when I saw the price I was floored.

I blended the whole Chorus S line with my NAD reciever and some good wires and the result is the best mid level system I have heard. The build quality is superb and the sound is all around impressive. Tracked low range on my test disc to 32Hz. Can't say enough about the value of these speakers- unbequaled clarity, soundstage and neutrality for the price. I love these speakers to death. Horns and brass sound incredible, bass is super fast and tight.

I can't wait to someday own a pair of Electra berylium towers.

Purchased At:   Fidelis

Submitted by machani a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
BACKGROUND
I needed a pair of slim floorstanding speakers for my dedicated stereo music system, powered by a Cayin TA-30 integrated tube amplifier. Over the past year I looked at a number of speaker brands and models and in the process had the good fortune to listen to a pair of JMLab Chorus 710 speakers belonging to a friend. I loved their transparency, mid range punch and tight bass and decided that this line of speakers would suit my taste and needs just fine.

I was actually looking to by the JMLab Chorus 715, when I discovered that JMLab had upgraded its Chorus line in 2003 with the new Chorus "S" line. The key difference in the new line is the TNC tweeter assembly, which replaces the TPC assembly of its predecessor.

So the Chorus "S" line of speakers are now capable of 28 kHz, versus 22 kHz of their predecessors.

The Chorus 714 S has a 5 1/2" mid-bass driver and a 5 1/2" woofer. I compared them with the Chorus 706 S bookshelf speakers and Chorus 716 S floor-standers, both which have 6 1/2" mid-bass drivers. The main difference in sound was in the upper mid-range. Female voice tracks sounded slightly more wholesome in the 706 S and 716 S. But the bass extension on the Chorus 714 S was better than the Chorus 706 S (which has no separate woofer). And I felt the bass on the 716 S was more than what I needed.

I live in a condo which has space and noise limitations so in the end I went with the Chorus 714 S - although the larger Chorus 716 S would have worked perfectly had I the room to work with.

I got the "Calvados" (Cherry like) wood trim, which actually has a real wood veneer on the enclosure. The workmanship and build quality are top notch and these speakers blend in well with classical furniture.

SOUND
JMLab speakers are notorious for sounding bright out of the box and do need 50 to 100 hours of break in. The Chorus "S" line of speakers are no exception.

After six weeks or so of break in, the mid range and bottom end opened up beautifully. The integration of the three drive units became extremely smooth and seemless. The use of the provided spikes removed any semblance of low-end boominess. The bass is tight and fast and the bass extension is deep and controlled.

The soundstage is quite impressive. The manual recommends a toe-in because the sweetspot is slightly narrow. The imaging about as precise as it gets.

The speakers are really transparent and bring out fine detail in any music I throw at them. And I tried a variety of music ranging from classical, to jazz, rock and blues. So much tonal nuance is brought out that I could tell the differences between different cymbals being struck and the timbre of the drums.

CONCLUSION
The combination of build quality, sonic neutrality, midrange punch and deep but controlled bass make these speakers, in my opinion, excellent all rounders.

Purchased At:   Commercial Electroni

Please add JMLab Chorus 714 S and Chorus 716 S speakers

[B] Manufacturer Name: [/B] JMLab [B] Manufacturer's Website Address: [/B] [url]http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/sommaire.htm[/url] [B] Category: [/B] Main Speakers [B] Model Number: [/B] Chorus 714 S [B] Price (MSRP): [/B] $700 [B] Link to an Image: [/B] [url]http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/home/chorus ... Read More »