Fluance SV-10 Floorstanding Speakers

4.92/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $369.99

An elite flawlessly made three-way technology speaker system in a contemporary design. With this model we were able to achieve both vivacious high-end sound and elegant style. The SV-10's narrow profile is given additional emphasis by the side positioning of the high excursion subwoofer. This allows for a uncrowded placement in your sound system. In the listening environment this speaker gives an exciting performance. With superb sound radiation and rich timbre, it converts the audio signal into incredibly wonderful music. It has top reproduction qualities in the hi-fidelity music as well as the surround sound home theater area. The SV-10 is vertically and horizontally braced internally to ensure that the acoustic image remains free from cabinet vibrations and driver resonances. Rock-solid MDF construction suppresses enclosure panel resonance for distortion-free, accurate response. By virtue of the tuned bass reflex cabinet with ports in the rear and the side-firing 8 inch subwoofer the SV-10 speakers have outstandingly brilliant and dynamic low frequency subsonic performance. Only premium components such as powerfully dimensioned high-performance magnets and Neodymium tweeters are used in the production of this system. The Neodymium balanced pure silk dome tweeters provide a wonderfully smooth and accurate projection of the high frequency portions of the signal. The result is a pure and perfect listening experience. Thanks to its distinct design and trendy natural beech finish, it harmonizes perfectly with modern living areas. This is unmistakably a speaker system made by Fluance.

Submitted by Audiophile009 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
Completely satisfied with both the quality of product and customer service level. I was looking for something not too expensive for my SECOND ZONE, and I was quiet suspicious about ordering the product, I've never heard before. So I did it only because the manufacturer guaranteed "money back option", in case I am not satisfied with the quality. What can I say now...
The quality is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Buying a product of the same quality from a well known brand, (which is Klipsh_RF-82 in my case) I had to pay $550 for each speaker, while I paid only $400 for the set of exellent speakers. Even my friends-musicians couldn't find much difference between sound quality of Klipsch and Fluance.
I would strongly recommend this product especially to those, who prefers classical music.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by tciancia a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
Back when these speakers came out, I bought a pair. I'm a tinkerer and get bored with audio equipment rather easily. For years, I used Bookshelves on stands with a powered sub. (consider it pre-acoustimass system) So I sold my Missions for a set of NHT1.3's and they served me well for years. With a larger house and more space came room for larger speakers. But, who wants to spend an arm and a leg on something I know I will sell and have depreciated heavily in the future? So I looked around for a few months for something "fresh" in the <500.00 range. I was THIS close to buying ebay white van specials; as what I was primarily interested in was the build quality and attractiveness of the cabinets. This sounds odd....however, knowing that once I had a volume measurement inside, it would be simple to replace the drivers with quality vifas and make a matching crossover. So I emailed Fluance some very specific and technical questions about the sv10's. Wouldn't you know it, they answered every one, in detail. I bought a pair.

First impression:
Hated em! they didn't sound anything like the NHT's. I gave them a chance and got used to them. Turns out the NHT's were the speakers I didn't like! Ive since been to a friends with the same NHT's and I was grossly under powering them with a base model Sony ES receiver. My old dog receiver sounded pretty good with the Fluance, and I got used to them.

Ownership:

With an Infinity il100s subwoofer, computer speakers can sound good. My new Denon amp arrived and these babies BLAST it out, without breaking up! I lived with these for a while, and was completely satisfied. Then my sub blew up. This gave me a chance to realize what I was missing or not missing with the 8" side firing speakers. i had to turn up the bass a bit to get them to thump, but they actually did thump! I was impressed. Blew up one of the woofers, and a call to Fluance solved that in less then 5 minutes. New woofer on the way, no charge. Overall I was totally satisfied .

Current Status:

Ive owned these longer then any speaker Ive kept in my main listening area, and it was time for a change. but wait!..what if I played with these a little bit? Instead of replacing drivers, what if I kept the speakers EXACTLY as they were and see what I can do with them? Lets play with active crossovers and bi-amping!
enter one Teac equalizer (think 80's),and a new AudioSource 200w dual mono amp. Total cost (thank you eBay) 110.00 for both. Now, I thought the 8" drivers were just cheap (they are), but after listening, hence the equalizer, I realized that they are crossed over too high for their location on the side of the cabinet. Now the equalizer is hooked to the AudioSource amp, and drive ONLY the 8" drivers. The EQ is set to resemble an upside down U removing everything over 2000hz, than climbing to the mid bass, and tapering off again at 250hz. The Sub is crossed at 80hz to pick up the rest. HOLY CRAP. I find myself inviting the neighbors over for beer and ear melting music at VERY high SPL's. I'm VERY happy.

Dislikes:

You didn't think these were perfect did you!? The 8" drivers, while on paper may be correctly crossed over, are not correct for 99% of people. Most of us have walls that are not acoustically treated to absorb reflection. The high crossover point of the woofer echoes off of the side walls, and distorts the sound; cheapens it, if you will. Facing the drivers towards each other can cancel some of the much desired mid bass "hit" that an 8" speaker is good at delivering. The MTM drivers are great and have given me no problems or complaints. The build quality is good..surprisingly good. They have not come apart at all and there are no rattles to this day. They still look great too. The problem with the cabinet design is that it is top heavy. I know that increasing the mass and/or weight at the base would place shipping charges into another level, so we have to live with it. If you have a large pet, or kids near your speakers, you will definitely want to make a stabilizer for the base. I thought of sand bags, but don't want to upset the cabinet volume. Currently I am experimenting with plugging the tuning ports for the woofer, as I do not need anything below 100hz coming from these. The Bass should tighten up and punch a bit harder with the ports plugged and new found power

Overall:
I'm keeping them for a few more years! I'm so happy with the results of EQ tuning, that I bought some Canare speaker cables..2 large braided garden hoses running to each speaker looks damn cool over a beer with your buddies. The bottom line is that for the money, I am completely satisfied, and I have a brand no one else has. Why conform to the norm! They were a good deal to me at retail. If you can find em for less then that, buy em!
On a final note, when they stop sending me free replacement drivers, I will start replacing them with aftermarket ones.

Submitted by jfferrett a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
Just bought these from someone in Long Island and I only paid 75.00 pair. Even if it were not for that amazing deal I would still be more than happy with these speakers! I had a Sherwood receiver connected with 12 guage cable and then switched to my Harman. At first I thought the sound was mediocre with very subdued treble. With the proper power and room adjusments the speakers opened up and filled the room in stereo mode with unbelievable sound. Crystal clear and very powerful. Crossover points are near perfect and all program material from classical to hard rock shook the house. I have not yet bi-amped these speakers but will buy a reciever capable in the very near future. I replaced a pair of Polks and could not be happier. Also use JBL, Klipsch and ADS.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
I ordered the SV-10 along with the AV-SC center channel and the SX-6 bookshelf surrounds. The SV-10 are, to me, very impressive. I have them hooked up to an Onkyo 504 receiver with 75 watts per channel. I got these as an upgrade from a Logitech digital computer speaker system with 3" surrounds and a 10 in sub. Those were great for a while but I finally realized that the sound was unbalanced, so when I upgraded I decided to go all out with some of Fluance's higher end products.

I've given them the 15-20 hour break in period. The highs are not too harsh, and sound very good. This is where I can tell a big difference from the other speakers I've used. The mids are pretty much dead on, giving just enough low midrange to have a small thump and enough high mid to make guitar riffs sound really good. The 8" woofers are quite impressive. Considering I'm going from a 188 watt powered 10" sub to 8" woofers from a 75 watt per channel receiver I was expecting bass to be a little lacking. Well I was wrong. While they aren't quite as room shaking and powerful at the 10" sub I'm used to, the bass is much more clean and tight sounding, not boomy. And whereas the other sub made a dead spot in the middle of the room where there wasnt much bass, the bass in the SV-10's fills up the room much better.

The end result is a very balanced sound. Good lows considering there is no powered subwoofer. Good highs coming from the silk dome tweeters. Good mid ranges coming from the 5" mids. I also have them biwired but I didnt hear all that much of a difference. The speakers are very visually appealing and look very nice next to my entertainment center. They also have very good stereo imaging compared to what I'm used to. When listening to music and movie soundtracks you can really tell how the music was mixed into the right and left channels because some sound comes from one side and some comes from the experience.

I use the speakers about 70% music and 30% movies. The music is almost exclusively rock. I've also tested them with rap although that's not what my usual listening is. With movies the sound is very immersive and the speakers manage to make the soundtrack and effects sound like they are coming from three feet to the outside of the speakers, which is a nice effect to me. I'm am not dissapointed in any sense with these speakers.

Purchased At:   Fluance.com

Submitted by clarence wiebke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2007

Bottom Line:
hello to the folks at fluance. from the design... to the assembly... to the sounds coming out of your speakers... combined with great care in handling with mercury-like delivery. thank you very much for producing such a great internet purchase experience !!!

Purchased At:   direct from fluance.