Epos Acoustics ES14 Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (24 Reviews)

Submitted by Hooch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2014

Bottom Line:
I remember listening to these a long time ago on the end of a Naim Nait and LP12 and thinking they had something. Over the years I have had many speakers my current ones being Yamaha NS1000 s. I was toying with the idea of a second system and spotted a mint pair of ES14 s on E bay. That was three months ago, they are still on the end of my main system. The NS1000's are remarkable speakers but I'm honestly not missing them. Fed by an Inspire LP12 Ekos Lingo, Pioneer transport, lampizator DAC, EE Minimax pre and Forte 1A power and augmented by a REL Strata 111 sub woofer the ES 14's sound astoundingly musical. They absolutely deserve their cult status. Talking about budget esoterica if you ever see a Forte amp up for sale don't let it slip through your fingers. The 1A is a 50w class A design. It sounds sweet, powerful and dynamic. I have owned Naims, Audio Research, Audio Innovation and many other amplifiers. Like Robin Marshall, Nelson Pass was clearly a man who knew his onions...

On a post note, for anyone out there who still thinks digital cannot rival good analogue they should have a listen to a Lampizator DAC. Previous digital equipment I have owned or borrowed includes Wadia, DCS, Meridian, Weiss, Metrum and many others. They always lacked that real believability factor that good vinyl set ups provide. In my view the Lampizator is a game changer to the extent Iv'e hardly listened to vinyl since I bought it which makes me wonder if i should just sell my turntable, its really that good. It is more transparent than anything I have heard, but what it does do that is so remarkable for digital is it preserves all the character of the instruments being played together with huge dynamics. The net effect is something that leaves little to the imagination.

Submitted by pjdowns a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2013

Bottom Line:
My father introduced me to the Epos ES14 Loudspeakers when he purchased them in 1994.

Initially I wasn't a fan because I found them a little boxey sounding for my tastes and even considered not having them when he offered to give them to me once he upgraded.

How wrong was I, he used to listen to them with the foam plugs in, but when I removed them (yes I know Robin Marshall would be disappointed) they seemed to come alive.

I initially used them with an Exposure XVII pre and Exposure XVII combo and then added an additional Exposure XVIII and bi-wire them.

Wow, these speakers are so easy to listen to with a great tone and they certainly have the PRAT factor...

I have considered upgrading them on a number of occasions but haven't been able to find anything under £3,000 that provide a significant advancement.

Would I recommend them, hell yeah... A true classic and shows that Robin Marshall knew what he was doing!!

Submitted by Kevin S a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
Ive had a pair of second hand 14s longer than my youngest daughter and shes just gone of to University..... The ES14s wont be going anywhere.. I drive them hard with monoblocked Audio Labs sadly deceased (the firm) power amps.... true not roof lifting bass but amazingly controlled and subtle.... get them at home in the "right spot" they are without the dogs genitalia.

Dont mess about with all this surround rubish good gear always shines.

Frankly a bargan... would never get rid of them....

Submitted by Devendran a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
If you are one of those who loves music for what it is, love to spend hours listening to all genres and being sure worth the money spent.......Epos es14 has to be on your list!

Getting the right position for this speakers is going to take you years. But that's the best part, how it will surprise you with what each positioning has to offer your audiophile ears.

I am a proud owner. I will surely move on and spend more money buying more speaker. But I can assure the es14 stays.

Submitted by douweb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have these speakers for a long time now. the rubber surrounds are disintegrating so i bought second hand epos m15.2
I thought it was time to give my review about the epos ES14.
Its hard to stay oblective after more than 10 years of use of these speakers. I still haven't found better speakers for the price( i paid e450 a pair second hand).
They do do not have it all. The bass is to smouth to give a real punch, but it still is good enough. Mids are the best i ever heared from these relatively cheap speakers. the highs are very good also.
They give a great detailed and airy sound to the music. They are dynamic and able to fill a big room.
You can play all styles of music on them.
They are better than the epos m15.2 only the highs are a bit more detailed than the epos es14.
Because there are better speakers around(for much more money!!!!) and the bass isn't that punchy and detailed my overall rating is a 4 star.
Too bad the surroundings couldn't be repaired. So i have to settle with the lesser epos m15.2

Epos ES14 and big room?

Anyone, I am tempted to buy a pair of EposS14 because of great look and raving reviews but unsure how they will perform in a large , deep room with high ceilings. Also, my amp is a yamaha A420 and not sure if that will be a good match. Any thoughts on this? Thx. PurRead More »