Energy Speaker Systems encore Floorstanding Speakers

4.74/5 (89 Reviews)

6 speaker package

Submitted by Mick Johansen a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
When I saw this set at a local radio store for a relatively low price (I bought the stands later on, the 1300 USD is total price), I decided to make my girlfriend happy and buy a smaller surround setup. At first, I was very disappointed by the sound. Going from Dali 850's to these was terrible musicwise and even surround wasn't anything speciel, although the center performed admirably. After reading a number of reviews here, I setup the sub differently (Not through the RC jack) and slowly broke the set in. After a while, I was quite pleased with the set, although I must admit, big speakers are more to my liking. But hey, they look like a million ;)

Submitted by css a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
Your local theater sound system in a box. Small, compact, stylish and a warm fuzzy sound! This system sounds very respectable even without the break in period. Great vocal reproduction as well as pin-point imaging. I loved the sweet sounding liquid highs of my floorstanding Infinities and I must say that the Encores do a remarkable job in matching that sweetness!

However, don't expect these beauties to crank out the same depth that floorstanding towers do. However, I doubt even the top of the line bookshelf loudspeakers could accomplish that. If the wife has given you the rub about big ugly speakers, then this package is for you.

Purchased At:   BrandSmart

Submitted by Guy G. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
As you can read in many review it's not easy to find the best way to set the sub with the speakers. But after trying every way to get it I finaly found the ultimate way. First you have to know why it's different for these speakers than others. Most of amps are set to deliver up to 70-80H to the sub-out RCA outpout. So you play everything up to 80H in the sub and the main play from 120H and up. There's a hole in frequency between 80 and 120H that makes bass thin (or boomy if you turn up the volume). When you hook-up with the high level input (sub in the main) you can reach 100H in the sub (the crossover max of the sub) and then you get a lot better bass and more dynamic sound. Now I use an external crossover Energy EAC to manage the low frequency. The crossover can up to 150H in the sub (I set mine at 120H) and the main still play 120H and up. This way I get all frequency present in the music. And what an improvement it is. The bass is real, like a live show without the boomy effect. You can pump up the power and it's still perfect and well balance. Also the crossover of amps and sub are not good enuf to realy deliver the frequency you set. You have "junk noise" in it (you can check this running your sub without other speaker) and you can hear even voice in it. With an external crossover you get only what you want: Pur solid bass. You can also set the phase of the sub to make sure it works with the main (and not against them). Now I have plenty of low frequency that makes music and movie more alive and natural. It can be compare to high end speaker with all the details and the soundstage you expect. The external crossover put your speakers at another level so you can enjoy listening both music and movie.

Purchased At:   Tanguay Electronique

Submitted by Max a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I decided to go with the Encore system after hearing it compared to Energy's Take-5 system. While the Take-5 is a decent package, the Encores produce a much fuller sound. Overall, I think this is a good system for the price. I'm using them in conjunction with the Denon 3801 receiver. These speakers give you more than enough bang for your buck. At high volume, the Encores will hurt your ears without showing any signs of strain or distortion.

The initial break-in time is key. I ran mine constantly for a week before I noticed a quantifiable improvement. Even after the break-in time, I still was not happy with the way the speakers sounded with music. The base was boomy, and there seemed to be a lot of midrange. I changed my sub configuration from the single wire to using the scheme described by P Martino in a post below, and this made a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE in music playback! (Thanks go to P). The sub now has a much more dynamic range, and that helps to balance out the mids from the satellites. I wouldn't say that music playback is flawless, but it's a whole lot better than it was.

As stated in numerous other reviews, the strength of these speakers is movie playback. The Encores turned 'Saving Private Ryan' into an immersive experience.

Finally, the size of these speakers is impressively small. My wife didn't want speakers that would dominate the room, and these fit the bill. I got the optional floor stands for the front speakers and used the included wall brackets for the rears. Both the stands and the brackets work well.

Purchased At:   www.soundpros.com

Submitted by John Cerda a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
these speackers are awsome, all the sound fills the room with joy. please dont listen to what im saying. Go listen to them!!!!!! be the judge for your self. but if u buy them hook them up "Hign level connection" dont use a RCA for your sub.dont settle for less these babys rock!!!!!

Purchased At:   Acousticsoundsdesign.com Talk to mike

What is the best magazine for TV listings on chanels like Mystery Encore IFC Sundance

I just expanded my cable digital service at a fairly low cost to include HBO, Showtime, On Demand, Mystery, Sundance, IFC channels & more. What is the best magazine available for listing what's on all these movie channels- Is Satellite Direct the best overall one (even though I'm on cable not satell ... Read More »