Energy Speaker Systems e:XL 16 Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (54 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

6.5" Woofer and 0.75" Tweeter

Submitted by acrzycat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers. The sound is incredible for a small speaker. I bought them as my main speakers to start until I was able to buy some other speakers for my mains. The bass responce was surprising and I wish thay would still make them. The main speakers that I bought were the exl:25's They are awsome!

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by cgreen41 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wow, Wayne that is tough it seems as though this might have been your first speaker purchase.

I have been using the the XL16s for a few years now. First, as surround speakers and more recently they have graduated to stand alone in the den.

On their own they absolutly sing. The transparancy is wild, sometimes it feels like they disappear in the room. Detail is great, although they can be a bit fatiguing in close quarters. They have quickly become my new favourites for jazz, putting my XL25s to shame in terms of soundstage and openness. They don't quit have the same punch as the XL25s, but consider the cabinet size, and I suspect rear ports will tend to fill a room with bass rather than punch you in the gut. Overall they have been a joy both as mains and surrounds.

On the bright side Wayne, you have a great start, find yourself some nice stands and I think your opinion will quickly change about these speakers.

Purchased At:   Bay Bloor Radio

Submitted by Slosh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wayne, you are a total and complete idiot. These are standmount speakers. No speaker will sound good on a bookshelf. Put 'em on stands where they belong, 15" (or more) from a corner and the mid-bass hump will go away. Learn how to correctly use a product before bashing it, please.

Purchased At:   not

Submitted by Wayne Gensler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
The simple things must be done correctly first.

Bad marks because the speaker designer failed to do the simple thing first: build a speaker with a flat response curve. The e:XL-16 has an annoying loud frequency hump that make kettledrums sound boomy and unrealistic. This hump masks other frequencies that make the speaker sound unnatural and dull. The frequency is in the range where if you want to boost the sub-base with tone controls, it is also boosted. Taking 4-6 dB off of the base modifies the hump to be acceptable but kills the sub-base.

My mistake is that I did not negotiate with the store a money back return policy (yes I would gladly return these speakers.) This is necessary, as the listing conditions in most stores are very poor for low-end speakers. I had a policy that I also ignored, walk away and come back another day.

Other bad marks for the e:XL-16 is that it was bought for a book-shelf speaker but the manufacture recommends it being set up 15-inches from the wall (they are rear ported) and not in a corner. The problem is that every bookshelf has corners. To set up 15-inches from the wall Energy has ugly expensive metal stands. This money can be more wisely spent to improve the sound quality. The e:XL-16 have a very narrow sweet sound listening position thus it is difficult to set for home theater as well as music listening. I could have avoided this mistake by walking away, looking up the manufactures web site, getting and studying the literature. Also by studying this website.

Good marks must be given for quality of sound, when the boom is not overshadowing it. There is some solid sub-base that stays together at fairly high volumes. Horns including Tubas sound great. My e:XL-16 are for away from home use. At home I have had Walsh Ohm 4 which disperses the sound through 360 degrees. Thus I am enjoying the in-your-face projection of horns from the e:XL-16.

If Energy could get rid of the boominess, the sub base could be increased with the tone control and these would be one fantastic pair of speakers for the size and price.

Purchased At:   Electronic Express

Submitted by paulusx a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
**Am only demo'ing these (99% will buy).
Due to current living conditions (flatmates I dont trust) my Veritas 1.8's have been boxed up and for the last few months have listened to NO cd's :(
Went into my local HIFI shop and mentioned i wanted some bookshelf speakers for my bedroom.
Without taking any CD's with me or taking them home, i instantly recognised the incredible "Energy" emotion.
Thankfully these will end up as rears for my HT when i find better flatmates :)

Purchased At:   Lakeland, Hamilton