Energy Speaker Systems C-8 Floorstanding Speakers

4.52/5 (73 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

(2)8-in aluminum woofers and a 1-in aluminum tweeter

Submitted by hifimasterOZ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2011

Bottom Line:
Firstly, I'll take the liberty to correct teh speaker desription - They are actually Aluminium injected polypropylene drivers, not Aluminium, except for the tweeter of course.

Price Paid - $500 AUD on Ebay (Poor seller)

Now, anyone who has had the misfortune to partner these with the wrong electronics and or cables (Whatever they may be, I've had a number of different components and cable combinations since buying these speakers, all sounding great) is naturally going to post an unfavourable review about these speakers, but have been an audio enthusiast for close to 30 years, and working in Hifi and audio visual for 17 or so, I can tell you there is not a speaker that comes close to the overall performance of these anywhere near the money.

Here is what I use, with fantastic results :
- Sherwood Newcastle RX772 stereo receiver - As a pre-amp (Saving for a Quad to match my power amp, after having sold my Parasound)
- Quad 99 Power Amp - Which at 90watts per channel, drives these far better than the 200 watt x2 Rotel , and the 100Watt Rotel mono's I used to have - So dont let anyone tell you these NEED over 100 watts, they just need GOOD amplification - I can play car sub test discs thru this setup to rediculous levels with no clipping or distortion, and I dont know how much louder it goes, my ears tend to give out before the system does.
- TEAC VRDS 10 SE CD Player
- Audioquest Sky Interconnect (Minus the DPS - yes from a dodgy chinese ebayer, no DBS but the cable and plugs are geniune, I bought two pairs and pulled one apart to check - and at $100 each, superb triple balanced perfect surface silver solid core conductors, cant beat it for the price)
- Good but basic run of the mill speaker wire, in a Bi-Wire configuration - Currently shopping for new speaker cables.

- Bass response is clean, tight and deep, and seemingly limitless with the right amplification
- Midrange is slightly warm, but not much, just enough to be smooth and silky without colouring the spectrum too much, and thats just how I like it - Makes for a musically engaging speaker that you can just sit and listen to for hours without fatigue
- Treble, well I think I saw someone saying it was agressive... WTF !!! I do believe its your equipment and/or cables doing that my friend, the treble on these speakers with all the combinations of equipment I've used on them has been anything but. It has always been very smooth and balanced, and when you get that perfect cable combination, sings like an angel, extremely open and airy and with a real sparkle that brings a smile to your face everytime - I stumbled upon a great cable combination with my previous setup, but sold all of the components and cables to make way for the Quad power amp and TEAC cd player. I love the new gear, but I long for my old cable combination :( Hopefully the right speaker cable will make that last piece fall into place for me.

If there was a REAL speaker out there that offered better overall performance for the money, please let me know so I can audition it ASAP.

Otherwise, if anyone is reading this because they are thinking of buying a pair, if the price is good, go for it, you wont find better without spending many thousands of dollars - $500 AUD for a pair of speakers that could well last me the rest of my life, and sound superb to boot - Bargain !!!

5 Stars all the way, always has been and always will be - My only regret is the ones I bought werent in the African rosewood veneer, that finish was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen on a loudspeaker of any price.

Submitted by POGORY a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2009

Bottom Line:
I 've been using the speakers Energy Connoisseur C-8 and they gave me plenty of hours with good sound.
Now I'm selling the 2 speakers. Price : 500 $ for the pair. Excl. transport & delivery cost.
Intrestes ? Please contact : +32 (0) 494 036207 Belgium - Oost-Vlaanderen - pc 9620 Zottegem

Submitted by dr.robert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought recently a pair of Energy C-8 and I use them with a carver 400 II power amp and a phase linear 4000 preamp - probabely not the upper class but a good and well listenable equipment. CD Player is an older Camridge Audio player. I listen mainly to classical music and jazz. These loudspeakers are really very well made. They have an excellent soundstage and a fantastic sonic detail resolution. Though they are rather 2,5 way speakers (they do not have a dedicated midrange only loudspeaker), the are extremely homogenous over the whol range. The bass is more then solid, so that certain care should be taken with theit placement. Also they seem to need a power amp that has some reserve of power.
When placed a bit away from the walls they sound free and airy - the musicians are just in your room.
I dont know what else one needs to listen to good music.
I really appreciate this product.

Submitted by bohnemann a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
product delivers crisp, sharp definition. The model is actually the new c9

Purchased At:   www.acousticsounddes

Submitted by wired a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
There back!!!!!!!!!!