Energy Speaker Systems C-6 Floorstanding Speakers

4.57/5 (54 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

Vented design - (2)6.5-in woofers and 1-in alum. tweeter

Submitted by JoeB a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a great speaker that I've owned for five years now. I've compared it to newer models from NHT, B&W, even the new Energy models, and I still love the originals. I have money to upgrade but I don't because I can't find anything in a local store that makes me want to get rid of my C6s.

A few notes on previous reviews: some say the tweeter is bright. Yes, upon first purchasing I noticed that too. But after about 30-40 hours of playing, they "break in" and become very smooth and accurate. I don't know why they're a little harsh at first, but after a short while they settle down quite nicely.

Another reviewer said "don't play them loud" and I don't know what his basis is on that, except that he uses a Yamaha RXV1000 which may be underpowered (read: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm to see that the Yammy rates at 100wpc but performs at 78wpc). I have NAD separates (known for their accurate, actually ultra-conservative, power ratings) and I can tell you that these bad boys go as loud as I can stand without getting harsh or bottoming out. Of course I also have a subwoofer so that may help keep them from bottoming out.

The beautiful high gloss finish really makes these speakers look good in my living room, and people comment on them quite frequently (in a positive way).

I've owned these speakers for four, nearly five years and have yet to find anything in its price range that I want to purchase. Like a fine wine the C6s get better with age.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by medaica a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had these speakers for almost 4 years now. I made the purchase based on Engergy's marketing and user reviews found on this site.

Sound: very good and clear if you don't play them loud. I am using Yamaha RXV-1000 to drive it. As you crank up the level, there comes a point when the tweeter just "hang loose" and you could hear a lot of unpleasant harmonics. Other reviewers mentioned that you need to have high quality amps to drive these speakers but I am wondering how many people out there can afford a stand-alone amp.

Imaging: not as wide as I hoped. It's easy to locate the high frequency source. The lower cost bookshelf B&W DM303 has wider sound stage.

Conclusion:
Price to performance is good, but not outstanding. I am not an "audiophile" but I know what sounds pleasant to me and I would say that Energy's sound is a bit harsh for my liking. Some say B&Ws are "dull" (i.e. not bright) but these fit my taste better. Mission speakers sound good too.

Equipment used:
Yamaha RXV-1000 HT receiver 100Wx5
Onkyo HT receiver 55Wx2

Purchased At:   Canadian Sound

Submitted by DBH a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
These loudspeakers are just great.Before i bought them(in 1995)i listned to many other,but ENERGY C-6 where the best.I compared them to speakers at twice there price(2500$) (handbuilt Danish speaker brand called F3/Lyd)wich made only a half as good stereo image as the c-6´s.I have also heard speakers at 5 times there price only playing marginally better.They are very good at placing the instruments in a ochestra correct.They can reproduce any kind of music with no trouble at all. They have a fast bass,a clear treble,and look great.I have mine coupled to a SONY Cd-player(CDP-X 505 ES)and a SONY Amplifier(TA-F 707 ES).They are biwired.Still i havent found any speakers at the price of the C-6,who sound as great as them.Thank You ENERGY.

Submitted by tentimestwenty a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Energy C-6 is a killer speaker. First of all, it has the frequency range to accurately reproduce all the tones of most music/instruments. I don't understand how other manufacturers can claim to make realistic sounding speakers when their bass rolls off at 60Hz. Here we have a true 30Hz-25KHz range which really provides a meaningful difference and in my opinion puts them leagues ahead of any similar sized or priced B&W, PSB or Paradigm product. Beyond the technicalities, these are just neutral, musical speakers. You don't spend time listening to THEM, you spend time listening to the music. For the price there is no competition.

Submitted by Richard Dort a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
They are I little pricey but you cant get a beater pare of speakers I have used them and abused them and they still go strong and sound grate

Purchased At:   A&B