Energy Speaker Systems C-4 Floorstanding Speakers

4.78/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

2 way w/ 8in woofer, 1in tweeter

Submitted by Bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with everyones review. These speakers are a unbeatable deal at the price. I wasn't even shopping for speakers, I was shopping for amps and the sales person at my local store played the Rotel amps through the C-4s. Well my jaw hit the ground when I heard them, I never had heard so much music before. I played the new Steely Dan cd(2 againts nature) and it was like night and day over my speakers.

Even my wife notices a difference with them and also she loves the finish on them, they look like fine furniture.

I have them teamed up to a older Hafler DH-220 amp and a new HK 8370 cd player with HDCD. The sound is awesome. Don't walk.........run to buy these speakers because they have been discontinued. 5 stars all the way, I lov'em!

Purchased At:   Audio Shop

Submitted by Mike Richardson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
Use good cables, I use space and time cables and good plugs and these speakers are sure to please. you could spend 4 times as much for a comparable speaker that sounds the same but doesn't look or feel as well made. i love my C-4's and you'd have to pry them from my dying hands. The small lack of base doesn't matter as I use an Energy sub for low freq anyway and the majority of my listening nowadays is home theater. if you can get these speakers anywhere BUY THEM!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Base Electronics

Submitted by Benjamin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a main front speaker that would give me the clean tight sounds at very low volume. I didn't need a lot of base as I would control my base through a sub-woofer.
The C-4 was the one at the right price. Had it shipped in from Canada with the exchange rate I made out well about $490 encluding shipping. I have had seccess with DVD's and CD's. Classical and rock music have never sound better. You can hear the indiviual notes on a guitar and the depth of a singer. I get great results at low volume and even better results at high volume. I use a HKavr75 to power my system which has been great. It gives me power for the low volume quilty and excellent surround for DVD's. My CD player is the Rotel 951 which has HDCD and my CD's now have open up more completely. The Energy C-4's rival speakers that cost 3x more.

Purchased At:   Audioshop

Submitted by Jon Oda a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well, I had to sell my beloved Thiel 2.3's because my 1 year old son was trying to destroy these beautiful speakers and I went looking for a cheaper speaker for him to destroy. I chose the Energy C-4 and it's amazing how far cone speaker technology has come.

These speakers are so good that I don't miss the 2.3's, which retail for $3,600! No, the bass is quite as clean and no, the imaging is not quite as holographic, but at the same time, the speaker has amazing coherence and even better balance and smoothness than the Thiel 2.3's. The tweeter on the C-4 is outstanding and I believe it has the same or similar technology as the outstanding Veritas 2.8 and 1.8 speakers.

I was originally concerned that the single 8" woofer would not be able to integrate well with the tweeter but it does. The midrange from the woofer is excellent and bass is good, though not as tight and clean as the Thiel 2.3's.

You can get these speakers for around $500 and at that price there are few competitors.

Another plus, the speaker sounds good with the grille on, and the grille has done a good job of keeping son (now three years old) from destroying the tweeter or woofer.

WI can recommend these speakers to anyone. They are that good, especially for the price and I've heard many excellent speakers.

On an absolute basis, these are 4 star speakers but I just could resist rating them 5 stars since I enjoy them so much and better speakers cost so much more. You would need to spend over $3,000 to get speaker much better than these.

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers, since they were discontinued I didn't expect to see any more reviews on them. Anyway, I bought them back in april 99 and have been loving them ever since.

I originally was running them with an harmon kardon avr65. STAY AWAY FROM THE HK RECEIVERS!! THEY ARE JUNK!! I've tried many hk products and have been upset and angry with all of them.

Be careful, these speakers will make you spend more money on your audio system in an attempt to hear how good they can sound. I started looking at stuff at Circuit City and almost bought a set of infinity's. I'm glad I didn't. I now run my c-4's with a Parasound HCA-2205at amp. The combo of the amp driving these speakers is amazing!

Obviously, these are not the best speakers in the world. On the value scale, they are definately a 5, but on the overall scale, I would say that they are a 3-4, just because they are not the best. Isn't that what the "overall rating" is for? Sorry, I just hate it when other reviewers give inferior products a 5 when it doesn't deserve it. Nonetheless, excellent speakers... aw, who cares, I love these speakers, LET'S GIVE'EM A FIVE!!

setup: