Energy Speaker Systems Audissey A3+2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.56/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

(3)5.5" Woofers and (2)1" Tweeters

Submitted by karister a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2008

Bottom Line:
These are some of the best speakers I had, and sure they sound awesome. I've seen some complains about lack of bass, and for me the bass is tight and more than enough. I love the openness and the great wide full sound stage. They have crisp highs, very clear and natural mids for great vocals. It has a very modern look even though from late 90's. If you can find them in good condition in the used market under 500.00 go for it, as there very very nice speakers.

Submitted by Socrates a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
What an under reviewed speaker! The Audissey series is the best sub $4K bipolar speaker I owned or heard, and I have heard soooo many! The imaging is amazing, just breathtaking detail is revealed with the wonderful tweeter, putting Def Techs with their blurred "wall of sound" to shame, and exhibiting none of the artificial wrap around had with the Mirages. In a small to mid sized room the bass is extraordinarily deep, tight and hard hitting. I had 5 surrounding neighbors complain about the walls shaking in my old apartment complex in a 16'x13' room, yes, six 5.5" speakers can really slam you in the gut with good gear and a smallish room! I have these setup 10 ft apart and the sound stage is HUGE and strong throughout! It even goes to the outside of the speakers when called for in the track and great depth! Very cool to get all of that for this price! Very sad that Energy discontinued the line but if you see them used anywhere grab them, you will be amazed at the performance/$ had, though I rarely seem them listed for sale (unlike its rivals), the owners seem to hang onto them, and rightly so! I had expensive Martin Logans set for the main system, after hearing the Audissey's I never looked back, the ML's overall sounded worse, and at more then 3x the price! Nice job Energy!

Associated Gear:

Chiro 800 Pre/Pro (very nice!)
Parasound HCA1000A
MSB Link DAC
Pioneer Premier CD Changer as transport
DIY Cables and interconnects

Submitted by Mike Robinson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I can't stand speakers that are too heavy in the upper midrange. To my ear, this makes the sound seem unnatural and too aggressive. These speakers are very balanced and have excellent imaging. They take a lot of power to run loud and the lower ohm rating may overwork cheaper amps. My Sony receiver will cut out if the volume is over 50%, but this is a fault of the cheap receiver and not the speakers.

I prefer a little bit of rumble when I listen to music, and while these speakers are adequate for normal listening, I felt they needed something more. I picked up the Energy e:XL-S10 powered subwoofer and hooked it up with these speakers and the difference is amazing. The sub blends perfectly with these speakers for increased bass in the lower frequencies. The A3+2's are rated down to 30Hz and the e:XL-S10 extends that down to 25Hz. The e:XL-S12 would probably be a better match though as it goes down to 20Hz and has the gloss black finish that matches the A3+2's, however, I couldn't afford the extra $300+.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Many peope paid $1200 or more for these speakers and at $229 each, they're an absolute steal.

Submitted by David V a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
System:
Energy Audissey A3+2
Rotel RB-1070 (bought almost new thru marketplace page)
Marantz CD6000OSE (run directly into amp)
AR interconnects
DIY braided Bi-Wire Cat 5 speaker cables w/soldered spades
Total system cost: $2000

Normal Setup:
Speakers 7 ft apart
Front of speakers 2-3 feet from front wall
About 3-4 feet from side walls
Toed-in slightly towards each ear
Medium Size wall unit between speakers (not good!)
Listening position ~9-10 ft from each
Room is 13 ft wide by 19 ft long with high vault

Favorite Music:
Wide ranging taste – alt/modern rock, jazz, blues, ambient, trance, a few large dynamic classical symphonies. Very little hard rock - no {C}rap or country.

Detailed Review:
This system is upgrade from a system based on AR9 Towers and a Denon AVR-2800. I thoroughly enjoyed this system for about a year – then I began to realize many of its faults after auditioning a pair of Mission ($1k pair) bookshelfs. The AR9’s had its strengths and its weaknesses. Its primary weaknesses were a very forward sound combined with common listening fatigue (I wont mention its strengths because I just don’t miss them). The forward sound problem was greatly reduced by moving the listening position back 2-3 feet, but I still found the treble somewhat hard to deal with for extended periods. It was not a bad system – I just wanted a significant upgrade (yes, sometimes money CAN buy you happiness).

My main upgrade objectives were:
- increase musicality through improved tonal balance (warmer)
- reduce forwardness
- eliminate fatigue (smoother treble)
- increased 3-dimensional soundstage

My budget for speakers was $1-1.5k and I researched everything under the sun – ribbons, planars, electrostatics, etc. I was intrigued by bi-polar and di-polar speakers but there seems to be a general consensus on dynamic limitations, poor efficiency, and weak bass response with many of these and I was concerned about losing the lively jump factor that is so satisfying after a few cocktails...oh yeah.

So I began contemplating DIY, but I simply don’t have the time. Then I came across Definitive Technology bi-polars – I thought “this is it!” - a combination of technologies into a hybrid design that provides the best of all worlds. Then I decided to look into other “Box-Bipolars”: Mirage, Audissey, others. I decided to buy the 3+2 Audisseys mostly based on Planet HiFi’s review (I think this review is quite accurate), ABR design, reviews on this site, Energy Veritas 2.2 stand mount audition (awesome speaker but very pricey), its price/performance ratio and just a good gut feel based on four months worth of intense research (this research included some time for amp and cd player research). I also noticed that there are a lot of Def Techs for sale on this web site’s Marketplace area and very few, if any, higher-end Energy speakers – to me that says a lot (I do realize that this could be a simple function of numbers). It was not an easy decision to make – but now, I know I made the right one.

Btw, these speakers were impossible to audition in SoFla and I got them from California. In fact, most of the Energy dealers I contacted did not know this line even existed - could this be the best hidden value in speakers on the planet? Hmmm...

I ordered and received each of the three components within a two-week period – then I connected everything and let it break-in for a 2 days and then 1 week. Right out of the box, the 3+2 sounded real good, but I sensed that the treble was a bit rolled off, perhaps too smooth.

After one week, these speakers (or my hearing senses) have fully bloomed and are simply awesome. These aren’t heart pounding, wall shakers – just beautiful providers of music reproduction. I actually listen to classical a little now just to experiment. SRV sounds incredible – Pat Metheny, awesome – Micheal Hedges, like he’s in the room - William Orbit, sensational. The best feature is the soundstage – its much bigger and not “in-yer-face” anymore – totally 3 dimensional. There is no loss of detailed imaging either. In fact, they're much improved in this dept over the AR9s.

I’m just tickled to death with this system and can honestly say that I will keep these for many years to come. I may build or buy other speakers just to satisfy my passion but I seriously doubt I will ever sell these. They also look great. My current goal now is to stock up on CD’s.

Although my normal setup has these on either side and away from a medium-size wall unit, I have experimented with other setups. I had these in a small 10 x 11 bedroom (yuck!) for a couple of days and the bass was pronounced and a bit boomy - want more bass, put these “near” a corner combined with some small cylindrical bass traps.

The setup that provided the best soundstage was on the opposite side of my normal listening room. This setup basically eliminates the corner and side walls, as if you set them up along the long wall of a medium-to-large rectangular room. W/o the wall unit there (this is recommended in the owner’s manual), the soundstage is even more amazing, particularly voices and centered instruments, most sounding like they emanate from between or behind the speaker plane . However, low frequency reproduction was weakened significantly (perhaps a good sub to augment). Note that I run the Marantz directly into the amp and there are no tone controls. A preamp with tone controls would easily overcome this weakness. This will be my set-up as I move into my new house and I do plan to get a high quality preamp w/tone controls and/or sub. I also plan to experiment with DIY convex and cylindrical reflectors behind the speakers in the future. I suspect that the ideal “typical” room size for these is around 12-14ft wide by 18-20+ ft long – with convex reflectors on the corners and other modest acoustical room treatments. In the end, I will have probably spent $3k+ on my system.

I’m astonished that these speakers are so hard to find and aren’t selling like they should. I mostly blame Energy for this – I can only assume that they are making more money with other speakers. What a shame. I would have paid 20% or more for these. This only proves that if you want the most bang for your buck, you’ve got to do your research – I did obsessively for four months (this on top of all of my existing audio knowledge). I’m just glad I purchased these before Energy did something stupid like discontinue this line (I’ve heard this rumor, even from one of their distributors! ???). For the rest of you out there, good luck finding these and use online sites if you can’t find a local Audissey dealer (I did).

CONCLUSION
Buy these if you are looking for a musical, full-bodied speaker that minimizes fatigue, is detailed, dynamic and provides a large, realistic, amazing 3-D soundstage. Although these will play loud, look elsewhere if you want ear-drum shattering, wall-shaking performance for hard rock or home theater. Since I highly value my sense of hearing, playing super loud is not one of my priorities.

“May the upgrade Gods be with you”

Purchased At:   Online site in California

Submitted by Dave a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have to say that Im very happy with my 3+2s. I enjoy listening to music now, more than I ever have. For home theater they are even better. Although I only can place them about 12" from the the wall, & not the recommened 15", the bi polar effect seems to still be very clear. All in all I think they are well sounding, not to bright & not at all dull. The base is clear & undistorted, at all volumes. They don't seem to favor any one kind of music. Wether is rock, or classical. The 3+2 have no problem reproducing it. The only weakness is the fabric cover over the towers, with pets & kids I worry on how long til it rips. But other than that. Well well worth the money.