Energy Speaker Systems 8 Powered Subwoofer Encore 8 Floorstanding Speakers

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Unlike most competitor subwoofers, the encore8 sub features an 8"" long throw woofer instead of a larger 10 or 12"" platform because smaller woofers are lighter and faster.

The encore system was designed with music in mind first; necessitating audiophile quality bass response. The 150-watt RMS MOSFET amplifier section provides all the power you will need, and the front-mounted controls provide for easy adjustments.

Submitted by DVD a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
It is a great sub. It looks shining and great. Sound quality is perfect to movies and music. It has 8" woofer but it has the 12" woofer quality and inpact. Great product.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by bsc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
Excellent subwoofer with very articulate bass output. In my medium sized room, there was more than enough volume to fill my room. This subwoofer is paired up with a set of Energy Veritas 2.2 speakers and this combination is breathtaking.

Initially, I thought that the subwoofer was too boomy, but when I replaced my Carver power and pre-amp with the Arcam DiVA A85 integrated amp, the boominess was gone.

Pls note that my set up is strictly for music and my review is based solely on this. With a home theatre set-up in a large room, I cannot vouch for the subwoofer capabilities. For a musical subwoofer at this price range, the Encore 8 is a real winner.

Purchased At:   A&B Sound, Vancouver

Submitted by Nordin Rahhali a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I own the Energy Encore system and love it. The sound is clean and warm. I have had an occassional (very rare) "pop" when listening to certain DVD's. It eminates from the subwoofer on a few DVD's I own. Strange because it doesn't seem to be related to deep bass scenes, but a frequency. It's also point specific on the DVD, and repeats if volume is loud enough, and you're at the problem spot in the DVD. This hasn't impacted my enjoyment of this powerful subwoofer though.

I have a question for UK residents. I am relocating to London, England and would like to hear from anyone using a North American 120V ~ 60Hz system in a 240V ~ 50Hz environment. I have heard from energy themselves that in about 50% of the cases a hum can be heard from the subwoofer when used with a power converter. Anyone that has had any success doing this conversion without the hum I'd love to hear from you. Please email me at nordin@rogers.com. Any recommended voltage converters would also be appreciated.

Cheers,
Nordin

Submitted by ausmo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Encore 8 is part of a bigger system using the new C-7'towers, CC1 center,
and C-1 bookshelfs for rear surround. For apartment size rooms this sub is superb. It is not going to move enormous volumes of air. It WILL give you the sort of speed and attack so that it seamlessly integrates with you system rather than stick out like a sore thumb. This sub does not exhibit the usual sluggishness and overring/droning charicteristics that plague many other low cost-big driver designs. I appreciate the forward firing driver; the concept of the sub being able to go anywhere in the room because it is "non-directional is complete crap, it needs to fire in the same direction as your main speakers or phase problems (read bass CANCELLATION) will result. I love the front panel controls and frequently use the A/V switch which allows to to enjoy great bottom end on movies without exessive bass on music. I only wish that was something my remote control could learn. If a $100 VCR can have remote control - why can't a sub? I have put the supplied feet on after epoxy gluing nuts in them to accept standard leveling spikes. This further improved the subs performance. If you need more bass - add a second sub. All in all great value andin my best estimation the best bang for your buck under a grand.

Purchased At:   A&B Sound

Submitted by Lord Raegune a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
IMHO, this sub is the best sub on the market under 750$ (CAN), and is definately superior to a number of 1000$+ subs out there. Why, you ask? Although there are boomier, louder, bigger subs out there, they do not have the poise, control, and clarity that this sub does. When I had my set of Mission 750's hooked up with this sub, it covered all the bass that the small bookshelves just couldn't do. Once the variable crossover was set to the right position, it was truly like magic. The excellent midbass and midrange of the 750's was complemented perfectly by the tight bass of the Encore8. Although the sub doesn't boom like many with with a 12" driver would, this is a GOOD thing. Even if you are thinking, "Hey! I want my system to boom", I assure you, once you listen to this in comparison with a similarly priced 12 incher, you'll be convinced of the superior QUALITY of bass this sub provides. Though it is not overly boomy, this is not to say it is not loud. The ample 150RMS/600peak amp will withstand great punishment, and pump out enough loudness for most people, as I can attest to. Though I use this sub for music, it IS part of the Encore ^home theatre^ package. It is so well balanced though, that it does either one equally well. It has a switch that boosts certain frequencies when used in a home theatre situation and this is best left to movies. Due to the small driver, the cabinet is relatively small. It's certainly larger than the average 8", but definately smaller than any 10". Like all the Encore components, it has a high-gloss, "burnished ebony" finish (looks like black marble). Gorgeous. Now that I have extolled all the many virtues of the sub, I have to say, it's NOT the best sub in the world. It's the best sub under 1000$ that I've sampled, and I work at an electronics retailer. Since I've upgraded from my aforementioned Mission 750's to a 5000$ set of Energy Veritas1.8 towers, the Encore8 is somewhat redundant. The 1.8's have SO much bass in their own right, I keep the crossover pretty much at the lowest setting. This allows the sub to perform even better for the frequencies produced, but it's not so obvious until higher volumes (where you can hear lower frequencies better) that the sub is even there. In a nutshell, anyone without ridiculously expensive towers, and a budget around 5-700$ for a sub should go and find this for an audition.