Eminent Technology LFT-VIII Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by armyscout42 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
Purchased on october 2004, amplifiers used are carver 225 TFM using a carver c-16 preamp and pioneer vsx912 7.1 home theater receiver with dakiom feedback stabliziers,acoustic research tds-202 spatial enhancer. With the right components or matching, this system is hard to beat and a steal for the price. Life like imaging, crystal clear highs and midrange and voice is realistic. Highly recommended and compared to magnepan better sounding overall.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by douglas_schroeder a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2005

Bottom Line:
I had used the Eminent Tech LFT-8A's and was quite pleased. I previously posted a review of them. Decided to add a second pair, as per review I saw, in order to make mains with four speakers. Phenomenal upgrade in the sound. Went from good to "world class" sound. I am biamping both pair and running them on Outlaw Audio multi-channel amps. Am using twin outputs from Rogue Audio Magnum 66 pre and splitting them to achieve signals for 8 amps to feed the four main speakers...

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Peter John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
SUPERB!

I recently acquired two pairs; i.e. four Eminent Technology VIIIa speakers, and I am driving them with a pair of Bryston 7B-SST monoblocks.

To my ears this combination is indeed quite synergistic perhaps due to the fact that the eight to ten ohm impedance of each ET VIIIa speaker connected in parallel perfectly matches the output impedance of the Bryston monoblocks.

I would like to recommend to everyone that they give very serious consideration to acquiring not two, but four of the ET VIIIa speakers, because this truly provides a very wide soundstage and also allows a great deal of adjustment to overcome possible room problems. The four VIIIa speakers do indeed create a "you are there" atmosphere no matter what type of music.

I am reasonably certain, although I have not personally made the comparison, that FOUR ET VIIIa speakers greatly outperform TWO of the more expensive Magnaplanar 3.6 series speakers.

Purchased At:   Factory Direct

Submitted by douglas_schroeder a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
In initial listening sessions, I very much prefer the sound of the LFT to the maggie 1.6's. They are similar in nature, having the same kind of 'planar' sound as opposed to cones, but there the similarities end.

The LFT is a slightly narrower width of sound field, which makes sense due to the maggies being wider pannels. But the quality of the sound reproduction is wonderful! I especially appreciate the softer, yet more accurate high end. I had always struggled with the edginess of the tweeter on the 1.6, but the LFT resolves the treble nicely without the edge to it. And that is with the setting for tweeter on high.

Further, the seamless integration of the bass driver and planars is quite well done. I had auditioned Martin Logans and was not impressed with their integration of the electrostat and woofer. I am hearing very defined, strong bass with the combination of the LFT and my twin Vandersteen subs.

I would have to say that the LFT is already outperforming any setup I have used with the Maggies, and that's even before I have tried passively biamping the LFT! I'm very eager to hear what they sound like given more clean power! I have noticed that especially in the bass, there is definition and depth I never heard from the 1.6's.

In essence, the LFT produces a richer sound, one that is more like live music, without adding the "box" coloration to the sound.

Purchased At:   audiogon.com

Submitted by floydla1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
Purchased a pair of LFT-8a to replace KEF 104/2 that age finally caught up with. Purchase was based solely on strength of audioreview reviews and e-mails with Bruce Thigpen. After three months listening, can not be happier. Staging, imaging, tonality is a step up from the KEFs (folks, that ain't easy to do). Very pleasant on the ears.

Purchased At:   Direct