Egglestonworks Fontaine Floorstanding Speakers

(2)6" Woofers and a 1" Tweeter

Submitted by davidhowells a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
i was looking for a decent pair of speakers to accompany my newly aquired
tube technology synergy integrated amp.i demoed the proac range of speakers up to$5k.their vocal repro was outstanding but i felt they had little else.i demoed the eggs with mark levinson cd,pre & monoblocks with a friend who i just happened to bump into that day.he's not an audio nut but his first words were it's like we're there.i was sold.like all high class speakers they are power hungry and are extremley critical of front end. so make sure you have good amps and cd before you try them or you will be upgrading everything.

Purchased At:   bangkok dealer exdem

Submitted by Ham a

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Fontaine has got to be the best speaker going at its price point and definitely one best I ever heard at any price.

I was ready to spend much more money at local dealer when a freind said to listen to the Fontaine first. Luckily, I could listen to it easily since the dealer carried both brands. From the end of the first track i knew this was special speaker. The fullness of the music is like no other monitor speaker i audition. I will advise filling the stand with sand as others here have said. Sand enhances the bass to a level that is unheard of in speaker this class.

I have tried to tell everyone i meet that the Fontaine is the best speaker I know - but make decision for yourself. After very short time there will be no question. The Fontaine is one of the best speakers on the market today!

Submitted by NKT a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
These standmount speakers may seem expensive at a retail of $5,400 but they are truly one of the most musical speakers I have ever heard. One word comes immediately to mind when describing these speakers: refined. They have a sense of class and sophistication way beyond that of b&w and dunlavys. Revel Salon and Studio will give a greater soundstage and better bass albeit at a more expensive price, but nevertheless the Eggys sound sweeter than the Revels.
Bass performance is, like someone else mentioned, highly dependent upon adequately filling the base with sand or lead shot. Don't expect any earth-shattering bass as these are standmounts, so adding a quality REL subwoofer would be greatly beneficial.
These speakers draw you into the music like few others can. Even when I was at the store auditioning these speakers, I lost total sense of time and didn't realize that I had already been listening for more than an hour when it seemed like only 10 minutes. Piano music sounds, well, exactly like a piano--in fact, more so like a real piano than all other speakers I've heard.
Expect to pay even more than the Eggy's asking price for different speakers in order to get the same amount of musical involvement. Not to mention, the granite side panels and black piano lacquer finish look stunning. Be careful to match them with only good, competent amplification and source components or else they won't perform to their potential.
I know these speakers will provide me with many years of musical enjoyment.
Five stars all the way.

Submitted by Ross Penney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
The Fontaines are my first high-end speakers (I had used and enjoyed Epos ES11s for years). I had no intention of buying anything so expensive, but five minutes with my system (Primare 30.2 CD player, Electrocompaniet EC1-2 amplifier, Linn LP12/Ittok/Karma, Lehmann Audio Black Cube, Kimber cabling and powerblocks) was enough - there was something really special going on here.

When the speakers were delivered I invited some friends round. One brought the Rattle CBSO Mahler Resurrection and played the finale at somewhat more than concert hall volume.
I didn't know this piece well, but it brought spontaneous tears to my eyes and left me shaken for a good half hour - I could hardly speak. This is typical of the Fontaines. They are the most musical speakers I've ever heard. It's easy to be carried away by the music as there is no distance between you and it.

Not cheap, but able to work brilliantly with the Electro amp (an audiophile bargain if ever there was one), the Fontaines do all the traditional "hi-fi" things but at the same time make them irrelevant as they deliver music, of whatever nature, in an emotionally engaging and informative way.

A first rate product, very highly recommended.

Submitted by Simon a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
Although it sounds expensive to buy a pair of 5k speakers which is not a floor standing model (like Wilson's watts), this pair has one of the most accurate mid-range and highs I've ever heard (much better than my previous Thiel 2.3 which sounds overly bright). Bass is very dependent on filling adequate sand in the large base; and although it does not go as low as the Thiel, it sounds very fast and tight indeed.
Excellent at reproducing piano and large orchestral music.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile