EFE Technology T-20 /C-20 Floorstanding Speakers

The new T-20 and matching C-20 offer explosive sound in a fairly small size sealed cabinet! Like the T-42 and B-15, the new T-20 cabinets are elegantly and uniquely designed with curved sides. With a MTM driver configuration, the T-20 can move twice the air as a normal single woofer bookshelf speaker. This translates into a cleaner tighter bass, a fuller midrange, better overall dynamics and the ability to play much louder without distortion. The lightweight woven wool driver cones produce a very smooth and natural sound and use rubber surround suspension rather than cheap foam that eventually disintegrates. As a lower priced alternative to the most popular EFE TECHNOLOGY T-22, the new T-20 will no doubt also blow away those who have not heard a 20inch speaker produce such a large and lively soundstage. Adding a good subwoofer will produce sound comparable to many speakers costing $5K to $10K. For those who want the most amount of clean dynamic sound out of a tall bookshelf size speaker, the T-20 has little competition in its price range!

Submitted by mac a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
I am using these speakers for the surrounds for my 5.1 system. I have Ed’s T-22CF’s and C-2CF center as my fronts and center. I purchased these last as I had Axiom M22’s up front and moved them to the surround position after Ed’s speakers arrived, but after hearing Ed’s speakers coupled with the Axioms as surrounds, I promptly placed an order for the T-20’s!

I called Ed about using another set of T-22CF’s as surrounds and he advised me to save some money and get the T20’s instead. He explained that they come very close sonically to the T22CF’s, so I got them instead.

Let me just say that if you are on the fence about springing for the T-22CF’s to use as main speakers, you will not be disappointed getting the T-20’s instead. They give their more expensive counterparts a run for their money. Maybe just a little less presence and clarity, but no slouches by any means. Ed was right; using the T-22CF’s as surrounds would be overkill for me based on what the T-20’s reproduce. And they still would give speakers costing much more a run for the money.

These speakers have the same crystal clear clarity as the rest of Ed’s offerings. These have a soft dome tweeter and I was a little concerned that I would not have the incredible and accurate highs as the metal tweeters on the fronts and center. Ed told me not to worry; it’s all in the crossover design and setting. He was correct. They produce highs that are just a joy to listen to with absolutely no fatigue.

Bass is extremely accurate and tight; midrange is crystal clear and not colored in any way. Listening to multi-channel DVD movies, DVD/A and SACD is a most gratifying experience. These speakers would also excel as fronts or just for two channel listening.

Purchased At:   EFE Technologies

Submitted by dlowman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
I recently had the pleasure of purchasing a pair of ED Frias's new T-20 speakers. EFE aka Ed Frias Enterprises is a small indepenedent company and possibly the best kept secret in audio.
CUSTOMER SERVICE:
Before I start the review I would like to say a word about Ed's Customer Service. Despite an excellent packing job by Ed. The shipping company managed to drop one of the speakers and crack a small portion of the finish on the corner of the speaker. Ed immediately sent me another one. His customer service is beyond compare. Problem was solved with little effort on my part. I would have no fear ever purchasing anything from him. He is a top notch guy. :)
APPEARANCE:
The speakers are very well made and come in beautiful black laquer and stand 20 inches tall. Sealed enclosure.
REVIEW:
Now onto the review. I originally had a pair of Ed's DIY speakers. I loved them so much that I descided to try another of his designs. I went with the T-20, a MTM design.
I cannot tell you how amazing these speakers are. They flat out are the best speakers I have ever heard. And I have heard quite a few. The soundstage is wide and deep. Every instrument sounds exactly as it should. These speakers just disappear. They sound much larger and have a lot of air around them. They sound absolutely live. I took them over to a friends house. He is a big B&W fan and we compared them to his 602's. After about 2 mins listening to them he said that's it I am sold. He will be selling his b&w's and purchasing several set's of the T-20's for his HT setup. So Yes they are that good. They absolutely destroyed the B&Ws.
In short these are amazing speakers. Everything I could ever want from a speaker.
thanks Ed!

Equipment:
Outlaw audio 1050
Theta digital transport
ART di/o DAC
Peerless 12 inch passive sub.

Purchased At:   EFE Enterprises