Dynaudio Focus 380 Floorstanding Speakers

• Sensitivity: 89 dB
  • IEC Power handling: > 300 W
  • Impedance: 4 O
  • Frequency Response: 30 Hz – 25 kHz (± 3 dB)

Submitted by Zac from Florida a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2016

Bottom Line:
Great pair of speakers. The mid and especially the esotar tweeter is amazing. I have a pair of Monitor Audio Gold GS60 and B&W 703 that I use in two home theater systems and the Dynaudio's are far superior speakers. For several months I had the B&W and Dynaudio's set up side by side on my Arcam A90 Integrated amp that is rated at 150 watts at 4 ohms and is equipped with speaker A and B terminals where I could easily switch back and forth. The B&W's sounded good however it was like a veil was lifted when the Focus 380's were on. Plus they were never harsh sounding during long sessions.

My only two comments on the negative would be to watch the positioning of these as too close to the back or side walls will result in a booming effect in the bass as they are rear ported. I have mine about 2 feet from the rear wall. This is about the minimum in my room. As they are relatively deep set of speakers make sure you take measurements as they are large dominating speaker.

I bought these sight unseen as they were having a promotion and closing out the line at only $4850 per pair which was half the MSRP. I was a little disappointed with the finish as it almost looks cheap with not much wood grain. They have grown on me over time however the Monitor Audio and B&W put these pair to shame in the looks departments.

Submitted by Olivier (France) a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2012

Bottom Line:
I was happily living with a pair of Dynaudio Contour S 3.4 although there were definitively something missing: punch, dynamics, airiness, precision and bass impact. The Contour are wonderful speakers but a bit on the dark side.

Going 'down' from Contour to Focus was kind of a strange decision to take, but the Focus 380 are some pretty impressive speakers, have two 20cm bass drivers and an Esotar² soft dome tweeter. Their cabinet is not as sophisticated as the Contour cabinet but you get what you pay for.

All I was looking for, I get. Even right out of their boxes, the Focus sound big. Precision, punch, bass impact and fantastic highs. They're easier to drive (89 dB vs 86 dB sensitivity for the Contour) and most enjoyable communicative speakers. I play them on an Accuphase P-4100 power amp preamplified by a C-2410 (also Accuphase) I can't even get warm.