Dynaudio Focus 110 Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $1400.00

The basis of the Focus 110 is the extremely solid cabinet construction. The asymmetrical form of the cabinet takes shape with sidewalls that gently taper towards the back, contributing additional rigidity to the assembly. In principle, this further prevents unwanted resonance and its detrimental effects. The end result is pure and untainted sound reproduction free of coloration. The Esotec+ technology is also prominently featured in the smallest model of the Focus range. The integrated D 280 tweeter with its coated 28mm soft dome fascinates with its incredibly detailed resolution of the high frequencies – a level of performance for which Dynaudio has become renowned.

Submitted by proxyyy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent little speaker good for small size rooms as well as mediums size rooms. I think it is not designed for spaces bigger than 40 square metres.
It has excellent highs, not harsh at all, open mids and powerfull and quick bass. It is probably the best small speaker with the best bass on the market, even some floorstanders can shame if put against the focus 110.
Dynamics are good, bass is tight with body, but not boomy like on many speakers.
The build quality is excellent as well as the finish and looks.
They love playing loud, and are excellent partners to all parts of the HiFi system as they are neutral.
Probably better with classical and jazz, as opposed to dance and rock tunes, but handle all very well.

One more thing, they need 200+ hour, maybe more to start to sing and be patient with them as you will be rewarded with the excellent sound.
I compared them with many other speakers e.g. Sonus Faber, Klipsch, Jamo, Rogers, Wharfedale, B&W range, and they win easily.
You cant go wrong with them, their sound is fresh and crisp with body, without being harsh or fatiguing, in fact very musical and surprisingly musical.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Kuma a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
I compare this speaker against audience 52 se , Rega R3 ,Focus 140 and Maggies MG12

Focus 110 and Mg12 where my favorite.

the focus 140 lacked a bit of speed , and freshness compare to the focus 110 in the mids .

The 52 se just a little dull for my taste.

The focus 110 had just the right amount of liveness and also good control between a dull or bright sound.

I am using it with a Class A amplifier (50watts) , Rega Apollo Cd player and everything is coming out in a really musical way.

From classic music to prog rock , they are just amazing for a little speaker.

By the way. i did use 4TC kimberkable (rewired the inside cable) and the sound gets better!

Cleaner, sharper, and a less confusing sound. if you can do it ,don`t hesitate

The Mg12 where excellent but not enough space in my room and also a little picky for positioning

i am more than satisfied with my purchase go listen it !

Purchased At:   audio occasion

Submitted by Ratman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2007

Bottom Line:
The performance of these speakers, especially for their size, is absolutely jawdropping. They do it all: deep, tight bass without being boomy, lush midrange (but not overemphasized artificially), and crystal clear sparkling highs. They are extremely dynamic and sound great on all kinds of music. They image like crazy, are built solid as a rock (16 pounds each) and look great, too (cherry finish, but auditioned the ones in black ash before purchasing, which looked awesome, too). They work a treat with my Simaudio electronics (I-5 integrated rated at 75 watts/channel into 8 ohms). For anyone looking at monitors within this price range these are a must audition. I believe they blow away the competition I have owned or auditioned, by far. Simply awesome.

Purchased At:   Home Theater HiFi

Submitted by gruening42 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2007

Bottom Line:
First things first. Since 'I am not a native speaker be warned: My English sucks. So does the spelling.
Having worked in a Munich Hifistore, HifiConcept, for 10 years running, I got rid of my old rig, since I considered moving. Which I didn´t at last. So I was left with my headphone rig (MF XCans, Sennheiser HD 650 with Cardas Cables).
Since I am not the Canstype at all, I needed to get a small, inexpensve rig for the time being and things get sorted out.
In the store we have always been fond of the Dynaudio Contour 1.1, which when used with decent amplification is not short of a miracle. I will always remeber them running with a Bryston 14 BSST. Go Forrest, go :-)
Since they are not available anymore, I settled with a pair of Focus 110.
And guess what. They are even better, and still very charming. Except for one thing, which sets back every single Dynaudio Design and cannot be mentioned often enough: THE Cable they use inside is inapropriate.
There is a guy working in our store, named Gerald Gessner. His dayjob is creating the HIGHEND Soundsystems at BMW. The carmaker, not B&W Speakers :-)
Your Beamer has the M-Technik Sound fitted to it. It was Gerald, who came up with it. He does a terrific job there. And along the ML/Lexus Systems, the BWM Sound is the best you can get.
He advised me, that the Dynaudio Drivers a first rate, the parts quality of the crossover being better, than he hoped for. This means a lot, since the guy is never satisified with anything; not even the stuff he builds.
Quote: "I like it lots. But the cabling ? Calling it BS would be honoring it. Get rid of it. ASAP."
So we stripped the Focus 110 of its cabling and replaced it with Kimber 4 TC, a long time favorite of ours.
What can I say ? A completly different league of performance fpr those little babies now.
Cleaner, crisper treble with not the slightest hint of harshness and the base lost its mushiness altogether. What else can you hope for ?
A set of decent speakerstands, decent decoupling ( Finite Elemente CERABALLS work a treat) and finally capable amplifiation.
We tried another favourite of ours, the Naim Nait 5. Guess what ? It simply sucked. Big time. What a letdown. There still seems to be the Dynaudio trademark: CURRENTHUNGER. Not as bad anymore, since the bigger siblings Focus 140, work fine with it.
So I needed to look elsewhere. The Rotel RA 06 now does the job. Very capable.
They are connected with my very favourite speaker cable. Transparent Music Wave Super. A little "overdone", but they were left from the old system and are simply stunning. There RCA Conectors where never my cup of tea, but there speakercables are stunning.
Still looking for an affordable source. The Rega Apollo comes to mind. Right now I am working with our Giant Killer: Cambridge Azur 840 C. Looks like a piece of crap, feels it to. But sounds faboulus.

Purchased At:   Hificoncept, Munich,

Submitted by John R a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Focus 110's for a system in my bedroom (VTL 80 tube amp and Dared tube preamp. Having been a big fan of Dynaudio for many years and having owned numerous speakers from their Audience and Contour lines,I was anxious to get a pair of Focus speakers in my home for a listen.
These speakers out perform my Dynaudio Contour MK II 1.3 speakers (costing over $2,000 per pair) in several areas. Bass,highs and impedance correction.

Purchased At:   pro audiomusica-chic

Dynaudio focus 110 - amp requirements

Hi Everyone, I could use some advice from anyone familiar with the focus 110's. Can a rotel 1062 integrated push this things at low to moderate listening levels? I won't need loud volume, but just want the detail and fullness at lower levels - but im not sure if the rotel can provide it with th ... Read More »

Rotel RA 1062 - can it drive focus 110's? Please Help!!!

Hello Everyone - I have a rotel 1062 int. amp in a small office: 12' X 12' and am looking for and listening to small monitors to fill the room with jazz/classical etc...at low to moderate listening levels. I absolutely love the Dynaudio Focus 110's, however im concerned about my amp not being ... Read More »

Shootout: Paradigm Signature S2 vs. Dynaudio Focus 110 vs. B & W Nautilus 805

Hello to our fellow audiophiles, Shootout: Paradigm Signature S2 vs. Dynaudio Focus 110 vs. B & W Nautilus 805 Here are three bookshelf speakers from renowed world-class makers. We need expert input and insight as to virtues and strengths of these three different designs. We need to determi ... Read More »