Dynaudio Craft Floorstanding Speakers

4.89/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $4300.00

2-way bass reflex standmount monitor

Submitted by a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
One amp. that kill all

Purchased At:   secondhand dealer

Submitted by Rathan karan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
It has everything. Using with Mark Levinson 383 and Mark Levinson No. 39
cables : Transparent

Purchased At:   Dealer

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
It is by far the best pair of bookshelf speakers that I have owned (if you get the right amplifier for it). I switched from crosssoverless design (Reference 3A) to the Crafft with complicated crossover. The 3A was warm and bass was extended, I was impressed by the amount of low frequency that it can produced as well as its high efficiency. It worked well with my YBA integre DT integrated as well as Forte Model 2 and 1 Alpha pre-power combo.

I bought a pair of Crafft at a price that I could not resist. Boy, that was where all my trouble begin, The 2 amps that I have could not handle the Crafft at all, the control over low frequency was obviously lacking, as the room was booming big time. However, the mids and highs were significantly refined as compare to the 3A.

Next thing that I tried was to switch all of my warm sounding cables to high definition ones, the effect was minimal. Knowing the source of problem, I switched the power amplifier to one with higher damping factor, an Aragon 4004 MKII, it helped a little but still far away from satisfactory. The next amp that I used was a Threshold T100, again slightly better but not all that great.

I got hold of an older Chord amp by chance, it was a SPM 900. I was so suprised that the amp with such a small footprint can produce 200wpc. When the Chord was installed into the system, I instantly understand why the dynacoustic (professional models of Dynaudio) used chord amps as their official amplfier as well as amplifiers in their M series active speakers. The Chord and Dyna are perfectly matched. The improvement on low frequency control was significant. I was also surprised that the Chord amp with 200wpc, does not sound coarse at all unlike many amps with similar power.

I am now using a newere Chord, the SPM 1200B, rated at 250wpc @ 8ohms, 380W @ 4ohms. Again, the improvement is significant with a more sophisicated power supply (an improved swithced mode power supply over the SPM 900). The sound stage is wide and deep, more details,resolution and dynamic.

I can come to the following conclusion about the Crafft after 6 months of usage:
1) It is a true monitor, its output is extremely faithful to the input.
2) It has big sound that can rival many floorstander at higher price bracket.
3) Because of point 1), the user have to be very careful with the source and cables matching.
4) It is not easy for amplifier matching. I found that it likes European Amps better. So far, the Chord is its rightful partner. BTW, never use a tube amp with it!
5) The OCOS speakers cable is the best speakers cable for it. The OCOS is also recommended by Dynaudio for use with their speakers.

Submitted by Eric a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is follow-up review of the speakers. I must say these speakers go from strength to strength.
The McIntosh MC7300,though a very good amp, was proved to be not a good match w/ the Crafft. and the Crfft takes no mercy to reveal the truth. Speed and high freq. were simply missing and sound became too rich and lush for my taste where my previous Dyna Compound 2 is more forgiving.

I bought an int. amp SAME from Audionet. Those you don't know it, it is from Germany. Audionet is formed by a group of professors in a German Univ. dedicated to audio perfection. They produce really high end solid state gears. The sound is very neutural and whole frequency range is smooth and flat as silk. Their strong point is the ability to produce superb music dynamics, both micro and macro. Speed and transient is excellent. Music pieces gets more interesting and vivid. It has a very high damping factor which controls the Crafft with no problem at all. Rated at 150W/ch, it's adequate to drive the Crafft in 90% of the time w/o running out of steam, of course, it's shy of when playback complex orchestral music.

The Crafft is now much faster than ever, the highs goes further up, the mids still remain absolute transparent and neutral. The mid bass is solid and tuneful but not overripe. The freq. response is dead flat resulting an extremely smooth sound. Its monitor characteristics reveals all deficiencies of the ancillary equipment which too often the owner blames it for the sound of the Crafft. With poor eqip., it gives you poor sound. With excellent equip., it excels. It also gives you different sound with different CDs which makes music listening much more interesting than ever.

This is the best, most neutral bookshelf I have ever heard since. I 'm glad I own it and I can forget about the endless speaker search. Not until I opt for the floorstanding spk. Confidence 5 from Dynaudio.

Remember to use the OCOS speaker wire from Sumiko, a must for Dynaudio. It won't sound as neutral if you use other expensive exotic speaker cables. That save you some cost for upgrading spk wires! These speakers is extremely eqip. sensitive and revealing the coloration and tweaking from their ancillary equip.

A solid 5-star performance.

Submitted by Eric a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
I'm hesitant to put this review on since my current system does not truly reflect the potential of these speakers. However, they are already showing its strength even in a less than perfect( or near perfect) system.
Upgraded from Contour 1 MkII then CompoundII, finally the Crafft took a big leap in sonic improvement. What is before excellent is now bettered previously by a large margin.

Remarks:-
Absolute colorless and neutral.
Midrange is smooth, although slightly grainy because of my CDP.
Highs could improve by upgrading my equipment! not the Crafft. It reflects the slight inferior treble presented by my CDP. Substituting to Sony CD7000 improve a little bit. Top of the line Esotar tweeter can perform much better.
Bass..ah this little gem can definitely go down to 40hz and the cabinet hardly resonance at all! However, it needs amp that has a higher damping factor than what i'm having now. Nevertheless, it provide tuneful bass down to 40hz, though w/ some humming. Wish the bass could be a little more tighter and taut. Again, the fault of my equipment other than the speaker! The plentiful bass info provide a solid foundation to the overall sound which makes whole lot more sense to the music.
Overall sound is very musical with a lot of flesh and muscle, more a character of the amp than speaker! Could be toned slightly more.
Soundstage is wide and reasonably deep and yet to further improve after I had purchased a preamp or trade it to an Int.Amp. Instruments tends to be a little congested right now when playing complicated music, its my CDP again..
Timbre is preserved nicely for different instruments although I expect a little more decay on instruments. Another shortcoming of my CDP.

Problem is that I've come to know more and more shortcomings of my system and it urges me to improve my system.

There a treble and mid gain switch which I've toggled a bit and still prefer set it at neutral. Maybe someone can advise me on how to use it.

I love it more and more and I am dead sure that the speaker would reward me every time I improve my other equipment! I would not need to change speakers to suit certain shortcomings/coloring/character of different speaker make. Crafft is simply like pure water from the mountain top or a piece of white paper. It simply reflects what the ancillary equipment's character than has its own earmark.

Ah.. as for my system:-
CAL IconMkII (excellent CDP, though w/ a lot of shortcoming, but I'm comparing to player at $3k+). I've bought it at less than $400US as a demo that is seldom use.
Transparent Ultra as interconnect. Big, deep(even w/o preamp),lush and musical. Bass is great where highs is slightly inferior to others say Ortofon 8N, Audionote ANVX or VDH MC silver.
Direct feed to McIntosh MC7300 300Wx2 power amp controlling volume via gain control. (weak part of the chain and would upgrade later)
OCOS speaker cable. ( A must for all Dyna owner, this is THE speaker cable which Dyna specifically recommend. It's comparatively cheap but is extremely neutral and does well, 80-85+, in every aspects). I've bought a new pair for $50US in a clearance sale!
Crafft Speaker. (bought at an unbelivable price in a clearance sale. So cheap that I won't tell you for you might got heart attack!)

I'll keep you inform if I had upgraded my equipment.

But for now, a definite five star for the potential it possess, though 4-4.5 stars for the current performance which is not of the fault of the speaker.

A reference in its class, a mirror that reflects all the good and evil!

Bravo!!

Calling all occupants of interplanetary craft...

I have my tin-foil hat on... Is Dusty still out there in the ether? It would be nice to have a full reunion at RR. Who are we missing?Read More »