Dynaudio Audience 82 Floorstanding Speakers

Three-way floor standing loudspeaker. Front-ported bass-reflex, spikes included.

Submitted by Justin Bentrup a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
The Dynaudio 82's are magnificent sounding speakers. I was in the market for speakers and a reviewer had written it's not true fidelity if it doesn't cover the full audible spectrum. This makes sense, if the recording and all other related components are made to replay the full spectrum, shouldn't your speakers do the same? Of course if you have a small room bookshelf speakers are the way to go, but otherwise make sure you can hear the entire audible spectrum. Dynaudio recommends these speakers for medium to large sized rooms.

The 82's are very coherent with a balanced sound top-to-bottom. They have a laid-back sound, but can rock a party if you have current on hand. The 82's can make very good music with high-quality moderately powered amps (50 wpc or more); I am running mine with an Arcam A75+, which is only 50wpc, and have very satisfying results. They do still seem to communicate, "You have no idea what we're capable of doing", so I do intend to upgrade my amplification.

The 82's are very transparent with good resolution and detail. Because of this, low-quality components will be revealed for what they are, but high-quality components will sound better than ever. The 82's are never harsh, but rather invite you to join in the listening event. Bass has good depth, speed, and pitch definition. The midrange is very neutral. Treble is detailed and airy, giving a good sense of ambience in recordings. The only thing I detect as a minor flaw is a bit of emphasis on sibilants ("s" and "ch" sounds). Not harshness, just emphasis.

I preferred the 82's to the Focus 220's b/c the treble seemed airier with more spatial information. A review from a major audiophile magazine did test bench measurements on the Focus 140; sure enough the tweeter had a horizontal dispersion that was somewhat abbreviated. This effect will probably be highly subjective to most listeners; some may even conclude it makes the Focus tweeter sound more refined than the 82's. I personally felt information was missing. I also preferred the 82's true 3-way design to the 220's 2-1/2 way design. The 220's bass was a bit punchier, but not as deep or clean as the 82's IMO.

All Dynaudio speakers are available with real wood veneers, not vinyl anymore! The 82's have detachable grilles which can be placed on the back of the speaker cabinet; this keeps them away from kids and pets if you like to listen with the grilles off; it also keeps the place tidy for the wife. The binding posts are of good quality; you can use speaker wire, pins, spades, and bananas.

Purchased At:   Music For Pleasure

Submitted by Justin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers about 2 months ago and have been enjoying them immensely. I have listened to countless speakers at a similar price point. None have come close to what the 82's offer for the dollar. The 82's have unbelievable transparency, coherency, detail, and full range sound. These speakers offer the listener the ability to turn their analytical mind off and simply enjoy the music. If you like to be analytical they offer plenty to keep you busy that way too (but I think it's better to just love the whole presentation).

I will share one specific thing that potential buyers may want to know about. The high frequencies are excellent and mostly smooth. The only caveat is on sibilants ("s" and "ch" sounds), where some emphasis/splashiness is detected. It's only harsh if the recording is harsh; otherwise it is a non-fatiguing minor flaw. These are moderately large speakers so make sure to consider room boundaries, the first order crossover can cause the dispersion (which makes for a soundstage w/gorgeous bloom) to interact with the room. Ideally these belong in a mid-size or large room. If you want a treble that is a little more refined, try comparing these w/the more recent Focus 220 floorstanders. After comparison I slightly preferred these b/c I felt the treble had a little more ambience; the Focus 220's treble seemed a little restrained (held back) to my taste, but had better slam w/less bass depth than the 82's. But for a beautiful all-around wood veneer finish and a couple hundred dollars more the Focus is a worthy consideration.

I fully agree with others who reviewed here that it is best to use "quality" components to send the signal to these speakers but . . .
contrary to what many have said, these speakers present a very easy load to an amplifier (i.e. you don't have to have huge power to drive them). Yes many will pair the 82's w/Krell, Mark Levinson, etc., but I have mine paired with the Arcam A75+ and a Denon disc player (which I do want to upgrade to Arcam). My amp never gets hot, rather, just barely warm, and I will listen at 12 o'clock for several hours. I get more bass than I thought I could ever expect from an Arcam 50-watt/channel amp. I previously purchased Wharfedale Evolution floorstanders that were pretty good w/decent bass, yet my amp ran warmer driving them. I returned them b/c they had some displeasing treble characteristics (surprising since the Diamond series tweeters sound fantastic at their price point). But these 82's have an extra bass driver than those, and should technically require more current to drive them. But these 82's seem to show kindness to my "weak" amp and say "We can do more, but there's plenty here to work with". So please, if you have quality low-powered gear (Arcam, Creek, Naim, even Cambridge Audio), take them to your Dynaudio dealer and see for yourself. You can save serious dough and quit the hi-fi rat race.

When I have a larger place I will probably look at higher powered gear, but that would just be for kicks (I would love to hear these bad boys w/300 watts RMS driving them!). Otherwise, my Arcam can drive these to loud levels that will overload my current room w/decent deep, punchy bass. I know, I didn't think Arcam's played bass frequencies either!!

If you want to know how good they look and sound leave it to a woman. My 50-something mother told me after hearing them, that she was seriously considering buying a pair. What?!

Purchased At:   Kansas City

Submitted by DocFoster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
Fantastic speakers.
My initial response was to feel impressed by:
1. The subjectively flat frequency response and;
2. The pleasing dynamic range.
Together these 2 factors make the Audience 82s wonderfully transparent - from deep down bass to sweet sweet trebble. When they are required to sound big they swell accordingly, when called on for delicacy the 82s demonstrate a feather touch.
These Dynaudios definitely push anything but the most impressive source and amplification components to their potential - excellent if your source and amplification has great potential; not so great if your kit is substandard budget.

SInce purchasing the Audience 82s several years ago I have made numerous changes to every other part of my hifi setup. I have not once considered changing these speakers.

My current setup is largely Musical Fidelity, together with a Roksan Raduis 5 turntable (Sumiko MC cartridge).

A fantastic hifi product - especially when a good second hand example can be found at a knock down price!

Purchased At:   ebay (second hand)

Submitted by Amir a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
I think 82 is an excelent product but if your other component be good.
I listened to it with many amps but just it matched with krell. wide dynamic range, detailed mid and airy high with deep and clean bass(it's bass with krell is wonderful). you hear all thing but 82 sound with cheap amps like nad is under standard. if you use it with mcintosh, mark levinson or krell with a cd player over 1000$ you will see it's actual ability to make music.

Purchased At:   Iran

Submitted by A-Audiophile a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
Like the other reviewers said, these speakers let you hear the strengths and weaknesses in your system. Once you buy them your speaker upgrade are over for sure but the search will begin for components that will do them justice. Upgrading to a better amp will only take you to newer highs, better cables or pre-amp and you will be in a new heaven, but if your equiptment is not up to par they will let you know thats for sure, so please have an amp with some power and components that are worthy. Anyone who rates them anything less than perfect has issues with other components not these speakers.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   store

About "DYNAUDIO AUDIENCE 82"

I've heard lots of good things about these speakers. So I would go to listen to those in a couple days. But I heard also these needed lots power. What amp or receiver do you guys thingk can drive those well? oh...one more what is the street price for these? Thanks.Read More »