Dynaudio Audience 62 Floorstanding Speakers

4.38/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $1199.00

Two-way floor standing loudspeaker. Front-ported bass-reflex, spikes included.

Submitted by rama a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
good for av

Purchased At:   2005

Submitted by jukeboxtheater a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
Okay, let me say first off that this is a very fine speaker. Now let me hedge that statement by saying that despite its excellent qualities, that I do not believe that this speaker represents the best in its price class. As an comparison, lets take the Paradigm Reference 40 speakers, which are priced similarly on the new and used markets.

1.Treble. Both speakers are very good in this regard but I have to give the edge to the Dynaudios for their slightly smoother, though still highly detailed, top end. The Paradigms can get a little too aggressive and in-your-face.

2. Bass. Again, the Dynaudios are superior, though the Paradigms are certainly no slouch. However the Dynos have condiderably stronger output below 50khz.

3. Soundstaging. A draw. Both speakers have outstanding soundstaging characteristics.

4. Image height/size. This comparison hardly seems fair since the Paradigms were placed on 24" stands which made their overall height considerably taller than the Dynaudios. Never-the-less, the Dynos equated themselves very well, projecting an image well above their modest heights. Overall, I would have to judge this contest a draw.

5. And last (but certainly not least!) Midrange. No comparison, the Paradigms simply smoke the Dynaudios in this regard. The Paradigms possess the midrange magic that makes instruments and (especially) vocals seem real. The Dynaudios do not.

It's for this last reason that the Dynaudios, as excellent as they are in other areas, will soon be going back on ebay.

Submitted by Kris Benson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
After deciding to change from stand mountables (b&w602 s2')I decided to search for a pair of speakers that would give a very subtle bass, that travels well and yet isnt too overpowering I became rather lost amongst the Missions and Kef speakers that i demo'd. And in honesty I had started to listen to the 42 and 52 bookshelf models due to their excellent treble roll and even though they were stand/bookshelve speakers the bass was rather punchy and rich, just as music should be (providing its supposed to be punchy in the first place!) These are very commendable speakers but as i was leaving the demo room a nice package had just arrived, the 62 model. 10 minutes later my decision was made. These excellently built speakers had pure clarity at both ends of the audible spectrum and I was smiling from ear to ear. Until I was told they were the only ones in the city and had to have them orderd from Denmark! a lovely 3 week waiting, but very worth it. Till this day they stand in their black facia and cherry veneer as the pinacle of my bedroom. Towering tall(ish) and proud and still reproducing crystal clear audio.

Purchased At:   Frank Harvey HiFi, C

Submitted by Xavier Scheepers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
The reason that I bought these speakers is, that these ones were the only speakers that were really neutral and natural (at the price). For me, the KEF's were nice in big rooms, but in small (5*4) they got very big in the bass and I like a deep bass, but I really dislike a big/fat bass. the other speakers mentioned (not the audience 60) didn't have a natural sound or they sounded coloured or flat. The 60's were very nice like the 62, but the 62 had more "room" in the sound. I'm a professional classical musician and listen a lot to music, these speakers were for me the only ones at the price that sounded a little "real" authentic.If you like a loud bass above all, look elsewhere, if you like a deep bass with more than a hint of the recording location audible, these are the ones for you at this price level (and a bit higher)

I found out that the placement of these speakers was a bit critical. My speakers are standing in a very well damped room and that is also where I tested them in in the shop (this was probably also the reason why the other speakers were sounding flat, they were not direct enough).I guess the Dynaudio 62's directness makes them work in these kind of rooms. The floor and wall materials have to be soft/damping to make them come out and play, if not, they can get harsh and sound forced!

My electronics are a Marantz PM8000 (with class A operation) with 95/35 (Class a) W.P.C
Arcam alpha 7se CD Player
Kimber 4PR speaker cable (cable choise makes big difference with these speakers)

I can only say that if your budget is limited and you like classical (and jazz) in a natural way at decent levels (neighbours) you really should give these speakers a try (in a well damped room 5 stars, if not damped ,4)

Purchased At:   Poulissen hifi

Submitted by Doug Morgan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
For a couple of years I owned a pair of Dynaudio 60's. I loved 'em. The problem was, that because the tweeter could easily be damaged, I would worry anytime someone went near them. With kids around the place this was a bit of a nightmare. Then I was lucky to find - for a good price - a pair of ex demo Dynaudio 62's, and thought that I would use these instead, (and try not to worry if they got damaged). I could then keep the 60's in a safe place/ 2nd system. Logical, if slightly bonkers, I know.
This may have worked, had it not been for the fact that the 62's sounded a lot different from the 60's.
Someone had stolen the 62's mojo.
They sounded cold and irritating, and couldn't jive.
Perhaps they needed some more running in, I thought. But these were the pair that What Hi Fi used for their review, and so should be well and truly run in. I played them constantly for weeks, until I could take no more.
Putting the 60's back in the system, brought back warmth and listenability.
I would hazard a guess, that when Dynaudio decided to revamp the Audience range, they extended the very highest and lowest frequencies, to give what may be "technically" a better sound, but something definitely went missing when they did so.

As a footnote to this saga; I have since sold both pairs of speakers, and bought a pair of Monitor Audio GR10's. To my ears these are at least as accomplished as the 60's, but are prettier and have a protective grill over the tweeters - very sensible.

Purchased At:   Audio T

Considering Dynaudio Audience 62

Hi all, First post here. I can't believe I haven't discovered this place until now. Looks like an informative forum. Anyhow, I am considering buying the Dynaudio Audience 62 floorstanders. I've got a couple of concerns. 1. Is my amp good enough to drive them? I have a YBA YA201, rated a ... Read More »

Dynaudio Audience 62

Hi, Just wanted to know whether a NAD 372 would make a better amp or a Denon PMA700 or a Marantz for a pair of Dynaudio Audience 62, The NAD is the choice of many Dyn owners, however i heard the C372's had some problems??Read More »

Dynaudio Audience 62 vs. Triangle Altea vs. Focal 816V vs Monitor Audio RS8

Since I don't have a chance to listen to these 4 speakers with the same amp or in the same room, it would be great if somebody could compare them. I mostly listen to acoustic jazz, soul and funk! Thanks!Read More »