Dynaudio Audience 40 Floorstanding Speakers

4.76/5 (25 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

Book Shelf Speaker

Submitted by allanctan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
The best speaker in its price range. The musicality of this speaker is awesome. The highs are controlled and soft while the bass is good for its size. After playing some of my favorite music, there are some details that were not heard before in my Bose system. Also, the sound coloration is minimal, if any. I prefer this than other speakers within the same price range such as: PSB, Paradigm, B&W, Polk, and others.

Purchased At:   Listening in Style

Submitted by Miika a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
What can I say, I highly recommend these speakers for everyone, and if you can afford, buy bigger Dynaudio's! I somehow liked very much of the long burn-in period..

Purchased At:   Hifikrug

Submitted by Lok a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have always wanted a pair of Dynaudio speakers since I first heard a large pair of floor standers going back 16 plus years ago. I recently had reason ( found a good excuse ) to update my small system in the bedroom as there are times when I don't feel like waiting around for my main system ( pre/power combo and hybrid ribbon speakers ) to warm up just for a bit of mood music - and I've got to get out of bed for this ! After a quick aural re-acquaintance at my local Dynaudio retailer, I hurried home to connect these beauties up and start burning them in and YES they do take longer to burn in than most other speakers. The sound from these little marvels are just soooo natural and free from grain. The highs are clear and crisp with a mid-band that is true to form of Dynaudio. Although these are termed as bookshelf speakers I urge anyone using them to put them on stands and don't let them suffocate on an actual bookshelf. Do this and you'll be rewarded with a very nice soundstage and even more natural presentation. Being fairly neutral, these speakers will play it how it is, so if it's a good recording it will shine and vice versa. Vocals come across clear and lifelike the Bass is amazing considering the size of the driver and the speaker enclosure, this is thanks to Dyn's oversized aluminium voice coil/piston design no less ! Overall, I love these mini marvels and I believe you would be hard pressed to find something better for the same or less money !!!!!

Equipment used in this review

Dynaudio Audience 40's placed on speaker stands
NAD 3020i Integrated Amplifier
Sony XA5ES CD Player
Tara Labs Prism 55 interconnects
QED Silver Anniversary Speaker Cable

Submitted by Juan Ignacio Curone a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
The sound of this small loudspeakers is really great, more if we have in mind the price, I listened it with an integrated amplifier Audio Analogue Puccini SE, and a CD player, model Paganini (Audio Analogue too)

It is distinguished because flat frequency response, with little level of coloration, in sum, this is the kind of sound that I like definitely.

I think these loudspeakers are better than others more expensive, I like very much than the B & W design, in which I find the high frequency a bit hard, and over all the bass have a tendency to be “fat”.

There are ideal to be used in small rooms, associated with goods equipment. Besides, it could be used in near field monitoring.

Purchased At:   750