Dynaco A25 Floorstanding Speakers

4.44/5 (34 Reviews)

2 way small box speaker system, approx 19 X 11 X 10 in., 8" woofer, 1.25 in dome tweeter

Submitted by hifijohn a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2017

Bottom Line:
Bought a pair of dynaco a25 , for $25, I dont know why but curiosity got the better of me,If your not familiar with them they use seas drivers One dome tweeter and a 10"woofer. a super simple cap and resistor crossover for the tweeter.the enclosure is an aperiodic design which seems to be a fancy name for a ported speaker where the port is mostly stuffed with insulation.This is a good thing since this is long before they learned to make bass reflex speaker that where tuned properly.
Firstly these are speakers designed in the late 60's so its unfair to review them by todays standards.there is no deep rumbling bass but plenty for jazz or rock even though the bass isnt of very good quality.the top end is mellow but very good,you turn up or down the tweeter with the 5 way switch in back .turning up the tweeter gives more air but makes the upper mids a little too metallic for my taste.I have found that speakers with simple crossovers can give you very good imaging, and these did a good job but did not do better than any modern speaker today could.I also think the 10"woofer was bad idea, its a little bit too big to handle the midrange well and you hear it in female vocals if you turn it up.
Overall they are fine for background music.

Submitted by Hal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2016

Bottom Line:
After my dad passed away, I inherited his Dynaco A25's, bought back when we were living in Montreal about 1975 or before. I remember them being something like $79 apiece, perhaps that was the cost per pair. Always loved them, love them now.
Amazingly, when I was attending some movies at a wonderful small review cinema in Montreal (each showing room would house perhaps 100 people), the speakers they were using were Dynaco A25's (this probably pre-dated 5.1 sound tracks). They sounded great, there was no lack of volume (it was a movie theater after all) and they kept up. As far as i could tell there was only one pair set left and right just at the lower edge of the screen. The magnificent sound track to Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon" sounded amazing, as did "The Rocky Horror Picture Show". Wonderfully versatile speakers, if you can get a pair at a steal, wonderful - you won't be disappointed. If you have to pay a couple of hundred for them, you'll still be delighted.

Submitted by Scooter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought the Dynaco A25 speakers in either 1975 or 1976. My friend in college who was an audio expert had them and I loved how they sounded. Very difficult to track down. Crazy Eddie's was only selling the A25 XL which I was told wouldn't be as good. My dad finally had to make a trip to New Jersey to pick them up. I never needed to replace these speakers. For a long time I wasn't using my stereo but recently I decided to run it and these speakers sound so warm and lush. This, after owning them for about 40 years. Except for a stain on one of the grills, they look absolutely beautiful too. They even sound better now that we are in the digital age and tape hiss and lp surface noise are things of the past.

Submitted by Martyn Miles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2014

Bottom Line:
I owned a pair of Dynaco A25s in the '70s and sold them to my brother to buy some English loudspeakers with Bextrene cones.
I thought that plastic cones would be better than paper ones. How wrong can you be?
After a while I found the new loudspeakers, which were Celef Monitors, fatiguing to listen to.
It was as though the ears and the brain were having to work hard to 'decode' the music.
I forgot about these Dynacos until I discovered my brother still owned them. He hadn't used them for decades.
In the end he gave them to me. What a revelation they were when I set them up to listen to.
Natural, unforced reproduction. A smooth top end and the ability to 'catch you out' with an aspect of the music you had missed previously.
I thought to myself, 'Welcome back you Dynacos. I have missed you.'

Submitted by joop speth a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought my Dynaco A25 speakers in the welfare store of the Dutch Army in 1975! Since then they have always been my standard living room speakers, and says a lot. I am a music enthousiast, Classic Rock, Zeppelin , Beatles, etc, but also ancient classical music. So... They still sound superb after more than 35 years!!