Dynaco A25 Floorstanding Speakers

4.52/5 (33 Reviews)

2 way small box speaker system, approx 19 X 11 X 10 in., 8" woofer, 1.25 in dome tweeter

Submitted by Hal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2016

Bottom Line:
After my dad passed away, I inherited his Dynaco A25's, bought back when we were living in Montreal about 1975 or before. I remember them being something like $79 apiece, perhaps that was the cost per pair. Always loved them, love them now.
Amazingly, when I was attending some movies at a wonderful small review cinema in Montreal (each showing room would house perhaps 100 people), the speakers they were using were Dynaco A25's (this probably pre-dated 5.1 sound tracks). They sounded great, there was no lack of volume (it was a movie theater after all) and they kept up. As far as i could tell there was only one pair set left and right just at the lower edge of the screen. The magnificent sound track to Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon" sounded amazing, as did "The Rocky Horror Picture Show". Wonderfully versatile speakers, if you can get a pair at a steal, wonderful - you won't be disappointed. If you have to pay a couple of hundred for them, you'll still be delighted.

Submitted by Scooter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought the Dynaco A25 speakers in either 1975 or 1976. My friend in college who was an audio expert had them and I loved how they sounded. Very difficult to track down. Crazy Eddie's was only selling the A25 XL which I was told wouldn't be as good. My dad finally had to make a trip to New Jersey to pick them up. I never needed to replace these speakers. For a long time I wasn't using my stereo but recently I decided to run it and these speakers sound so warm and lush. This, after owning them for about 40 years. Except for a stain on one of the grills, they look absolutely beautiful too. They even sound better now that we are in the digital age and tape hiss and lp surface noise are things of the past.

Submitted by Martyn Miles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2014

Bottom Line:
I owned a pair of Dynaco A25s in the '70s and sold them to my brother to buy some English loudspeakers with Bextrene cones.
I thought that plastic cones would be better than paper ones. How wrong can you be?
After a while I found the new loudspeakers, which were Celef Monitors, fatiguing to listen to.
It was as though the ears and the brain were having to work hard to 'decode' the music.
I forgot about these Dynacos until I discovered my brother still owned them. He hadn't used them for decades.
In the end he gave them to me. What a revelation they were when I set them up to listen to.
Natural, unforced reproduction. A smooth top end and the ability to 'catch you out' with an aspect of the music you had missed previously.
I thought to myself, 'Welcome back you Dynacos. I have missed you.'

Submitted by joop speth a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought my Dynaco A25 speakers in the welfare store of the Dutch Army in 1975! Since then they have always been my standard living room speakers, and says a lot. I am a music enthousiast, Classic Rock, Zeppelin , Beatles, etc, but also ancient classical music. So... They still sound superb after more than 35 years!!

Submitted by Mikeymort a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
If you search online, you'l find these available used for 200 a pair, and reproductions using drivers from SEAS which are the modern equivalents of the drivers they made for Dynaco. The reproductions cost over $2,000 a pair. The speakers are immune to most of the problems associated with old speakers, such as the woofer surrounds rotting out, as they used rubber surrounds.

I'm a musician and have owned a Dyanco system for many years. The speakers can be listened to for hours on end without listening fatigue. The midrange (where 90 percent of the music is) is as good as it gets, at any price. They don't have bass that will shake the foundation of your house, but bass lines are very cleanly articulated. The treble is as smooth as the midrange.

I am sensitive to distortion from a speaker's crossover. You can hear it with well-recorded voices. This is the one of the few speakers where this distortion is entirely absent. It's why speakers without crossovers, such as Bose 901's and Magnapans are so revered. .

Dynaco A-25's are some of the most musical speakers ever made.