Dunlavy SC-IV Floorstanding Speakers

4.35/5 (31 Reviews)

(See reviews)

Submitted by jjff168 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2014

Bottom Line:
I tried a few pairs of speakers in my 23'x22' listening room. So far, this IV is the best. I'm looking for a V for an improvement. The IV is biamped by a tube and an SS amps.

Submitted by sappy111 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have owned the SC-IV since 1994. They are some of the best speakers money can buy, and are certainly hard to beat value-wise.

For those audiophiles out there, allow me to qualify myself. I run my SC-IVs off of Pass O amps, P preamp, Meridian 508.24 CD player and balance interconnects. I listen almost exclusively to classical music. For large orchestral music, there is simply no substitute for large, sealed cabinet enclosures. Acoustic orchestral music always reveal the flaws of vented cabinets, especially in the bass regions. Dunleavy knows this which is why they make such huge (and unsightly) speakers that can double as confines for us audiophiles.

Submitted by Jules99 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I wanted to tell people about this great mod on the Dunlavy Speakers. I have the Dunlavy Aletha speakers. I had heard that the Aletha's use cheap parts and I recently found a great guy to do Mods here in New York. I had Blackie Pagano at www.tubesville.com look at them. He said the crossover was very complicated for a first order one and used the cheapest parts imagineable. For a $1000 he put in hi grade caps and resistors but did not change the topology at all. He just upgraded parts. What I got back was 75-100% better. It was amazing! The same sonic signature was there but everything was dramatically improved.

Purchased At:   NY

Submitted by Eric a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had read a lot about this speaker and it's designer John Dunlavy before I purchased it. So when it finally arrived I was very excited.

The SCIV did take some time to break-in but it was not very long. Right from the start the detail, soundstaging and tibre were very good. It was also immediately apparent that it was going to be very tough to get the most out of it.

Even though the SCIV was updated to the SCIVa, I really liked the quality of the bass in the original SCIV. It was quick and well defined. A little more energy would have been good, but that came with the SCIVa.

To get the most out of this speaker you have to understand a little about acoustics. It is key that you dampen the first reflections off the larger surfaces in your listening room. This speaker likes a dampened room. If your room is already bright (has more than a few hard surfaces) the sound from the SCIV will be too bright and you will loose all the beautiful detail underneath.

The SCIV will not be kind to less than neutral components or cables. Be careful composing your system. These speakers are only playing back the information your components feed to it. Believe me, this speaker is a super loudspeaker! It does not romantisize anything. I would like it to be a little more polite in the treble, but again, that is not accurate.

If you succeed in getting your room in good order, you will be amazed at how good these speakers can sound with no brightness at all. They also like to be separated a little farther than normal from eachother. To get the effect that John Dunlavy designed, you need to toe them in completely to your listening position. The sweetspot is for only one head. I think this is consistent with the design tolerances and the accuracy of this speaker.

My setup included Cardas Golden Cross for my balanced interconnects and for the speaker cable. (These speakers like 1 run of speaker cable, you will get no benefits from biwiring). I was using Pass Labs Aleph 2 monoblocks (100watts class A 8 ohms) & my source was a Wadia W860 CD player. They all worked beautifully together. Last year I added a PS Audio P300 power plant (for those intersted in power regeneration - highly recommended - I don't use multiwave. I prefer Sin 60 wave @ 120Volts versus 117Volts.)

If you own the SCIV, please make sure that your setup is the best possible. Dampen your room! Remember, Dunlavy's speaker are used extensively in Pro Audio Studios with great success. The Pro's do take care of their acoustics!

Be carefull to not blame the SCIV for being bright, it might be your components. The SCIV in my system are not bright at all. In fact they can be sweet.

You pay a price of accuracy. It will demand more from you, your listening room and your components. But if you get this all taken care of, the reward is worth the effort.

Purchased At:   DAL

Submitted by Randy a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
At times I just love the speaker, but that agressive brightness is often intolerable. It seems to be very intolerant of problems with the electricity. An Audio Power unit did not help with this. Has anyone figured out how to tame this brightness? New amp, Musical Fidelity AC 3, new interconnects, Harmonic Technology pro silway, have helped, but not enough. I am thinking of getting rid of the speaker, but its size and weight, my isolated location makes this an iffy proposition. I may try new speaker cables (Harmonic Tech again?) and a different power conditioner, but I am getting desperate. Suggestions, anyone?

Purchased At:   Ambrosia Audio