DIY AudioREVIEW Speaker kit Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (70 Reviews) MSRP : $30.00

Do it yourself kit brought to you by AudioREVIEW and EFE Speakers. Two-way stand mounted monitor loudspeaker with a 1" tweeter and 6.5" mid-woofer.

Submitted by cleaneduphippy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Bottom Line:
Was looking for high quality monitor speaker to go with my Jolida SJ-502A tube integrated amp, but didn't want to spend a great deal of money. Found these speakers on Audiogon and am very impressed with their sound quality. With my amp, the AR.com speakers deliver a very detailed, but musical presentation. Soundstaging is fairly deep, imaging is good, and bass extention is quite good considering that this is a monitor type of speaker (note: these speakers like all good monitors, require a stable stand, preferrably one that can be loaded with sand or lead shot for added mass). Other speakers that I listened to and liked before purchasing the AR.com speakers have included the Energy RC-10, JMLab Chorus 706, Quad 11-L and the NHT Classic Two and Threes. I think AR.com speakers compare very well with these other speakers and to my ears actually sounded the most musical and detailed throughout it's frequency range. One more thing, I was quite surprised at the quality of the cabinets, very nice looking real wood finish (red oak). Whoever built this kit, did a very nice job.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by pale a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
I had read all the reviews and I was very skeptical but also very curious, so I took the plunge. I am astonished, the reviews are true, they are the best speakers I have ever heard, period. I didn't expect they could beat my Paradigm 7se mark3s but they beat them handily in almost every area,( the 7s had a slight edge in the low bass).I don't have a huge amount of experience in high end audio, but I have some and these speakers are truly a marvel. Cymbals are metalic, pianos are not, great dynamics on Rush's r30 drum solo, solid clean bass, stunning detail, great imaging and soundstage. They reproduce piano better than anything I have heard. Anyone with less than $1000 to spend on speakers would be a fool to not consider these if you have any mechanical abilities at all. If you've got 2000 to spend you still should give these a look. they are that good.

Purchased At:   madisound

Submitted by jeechung a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is my first venture into a DIY speaker kit. Having some background in physics, acoustics, and basic electronics, I was aware of how difficult it is to build a decent sounding set of speakers. However, the consistently good review on this web site prompted me to try this pair. Besides, how can I go wrong for $350/pr?

Anyway, I built the kit in just a few hours, but with the following modifications:

1) Treated the inside surface of the side walls with 6x6x1/8 sheets of Sorbothane to try to reduce cabinet vibration.

2) For internal wiring, I used 20awg silver coated copper with Teflon insulation.

The build process was extremely routine.

The initial sound was characterized by bright treble and confused bass. Measurement in my modestly damped listening room revealed a significant peak around 4KHz. I figured the speakers needed some break in time.

After about a week or so the speakers sounded smoother. However, imaging was still a bit diffuse and the treble peakiness around 4KHz was still there albeit to a lesser degree. That's when I did two more modifications:

3) Placed 3/8 inch layer of precisely cut felt around the tweeter, extending all the way out to the grill frame in order to try to reduce defraction and to reduce baffle loading effects. The hole around the tweeter dome was cut so that it effectively flared out.

4) Drilled holes into the bottom and screwed spikes into them so that I can tilt the speakers back when placed on my 24 inch stands.

With these two new mods, there was a very noticable improvement in the tonal balance (treble peakiness gone) and imaging was now nearly holographic, but not quite the caliber of my Omega Super 3Rs (hardy to beat this little guys for imaging).

Overall, the sound is well balanced, but with a bit of cabinet coloraction in the mids and less than crisp bass definition. The latter point makes me think that the box volume is a bit too small for the woofer. The high frequency is remarkably smooth for such an inexpensive tweeter, but the upper extreme is limited, but not in a negative way. I do use a Velodyne subwoofer (fed parallel from the amp) to supplement the bass and the overall effect of the 3-piece system is quite satisfying. These little guys can also play very loud without sounding too strained. Not bad for $350 (plus mods) per pair! I would recommend this kit to anyone who is starting to think about DIY speaker kits.

Purchased At:   Madisound

Submitted by MGS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
Just completed building a surround sound speaker system using a kit designed by Ed Frias of EFE TECHNOLOGY Speakers. Absolutely fantastic sound! What a value.
My front,rear and center speakers are Ed's kit from Madisound Speaker Components. In addition I purchased from Ed a JBL E-Series E250P Woofer, Sherwood Audio Video Receiver #RD8109 and a Sherwood CD Player CDC-5090R. Fortunate for me I live in the same city as Ed and he helped me tune my speakers and then set them up in my home. The kit is so solid you need do nothing but follow Ed's instructions. The best part was being able to hear his entire line of speakers. I was absolutely blown away at the quality and realism of the sound. With each trial set I listened to it just got better. The ATI amp and Ed's speakers place you right in the middle of the concert. The Pearl Harbor movie on his big screen had me leaving my seat as those bombs exploded. Truly an amazing experience. Ed's kindness, attention to detail and love for what he does clearly transfer to his products. Great value and increadable sound. Thanks again Ed. My family and I are enjoying movies and music like never before.

Purchased At:   Ed Frias of EFE TECH

Submitted by crashedout a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
What can I say, I waited way too long to put these together. At first I only finished one and was not impressed. After I completed the pair and let them break in I was blown away. I guesse I never really knew what soundstage, imaging and clear reproduction was. I do now. I can hear new textures to music that I never heard before. Don't wait, buy'em and build'em.

Purchased At:   Madisound