Definitive Technology ProMonitor 100 Floorstanding Speakers

4.7/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

Satallite Speaker - 5.25" Woofer and 1" Tweeter

Submitted by HT Enthu from Dubai a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
High quality and very crispy. Easily handled the Denon at full volume with absolute clarity.

My ht is
ProCinema 100 Front
Procenter C2 (no compromise)
Procinema 80 rear
Pro 100 sub
on a denon 1802.

If any one is setting up a ht, I advise you to check out the 200s before the buy. If you have the money just go for the 200s. The shop i bought from didnt have that in stock. I am making this comment just by experiencing the killer c2 and by comparing the difference between procenter 100 and c2. I am sure 200s can squeeze more out of the amp than the 100s.

Purchased At:   dubai

Submitted by Aaron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great speakers. They are a SOLID step above the 80's (which I use as my rear speakers now). They sound great. Smooth highs, rich mids and decent lows. I have them running with an AR 12 sub and together they sound wonderful. Unlike others I think the mounting bracket is designed well for wall mounting with the only drawback being they are a little big.

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Very nice speaker, I am using them as a rear speaker in my Dobly Digital/DTS systme. The produce a very good sound and an awsome surround speaker. I have had a pair of pro cinima 200's for about 3 yrs. My local dealer is really big on Def tech with good reason.

my system:
Pioneer DVD
RCA Dolby Digital satelite

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these demos from a local dealer after a long, agonizing research process about 3 years ago. I have a variation on the 100.6 system with bipolars in the rear. My wife and I have remained quite happy with this system for movies and music. The front 100's were an excellent buy and have performed well with the only complaint being the easily torn corners on the grills ( mine are white and the black underneath shows through). This seems to be a problem for many of the Def Tech models I have seen as I have checked out classifieds for a future upgrade to some bipolar towers. It is a small problem which has no effect on performance and will not influence my plans to buy another Def Tech system and keep my current on in another room. We have been spoiled with a good system and this is obvious when we watch at someone else's house.

Submitted by Luis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
Upgraded my existing system. Purchased a Def Tech PF15TL+ and a Def-Tech C/L/R 2300 to give system a major boost. They did wonders for my overall sound.

Next step was getting front mains. Had to compromise since I spent a lot of money upgrading my system [recently purchased a Pioneer 53" HDTV Widescreen and Panasonic Progressive scan DVD with DVD audio capability as well].

Went to the Def-Tech dealer and listened to the PM100s. The sound was pretty good but assumed that they were better suited for surround duty. I inquired about the 200s and sadly enough none were on hand for purchase or demo. However, I ordered a pair of 200s on faith and took the 100s home. I hooked the 100s as the front mains temporarily while the 200s came in. I crossed the 100s to my new 500w PF15TL+ subwoofer.

My assumption that they were better suited as rears were confirmed as the sub overpowered them and a noticeable gap in the low range was evident. I knew this going in from the hometheater review of the 100s [rapid rolloff at 104 Hz]. Crossing them properly means setting the low pass crossover of the sub at approx. 100hz. This means the sub is playing the low range which is still audible which results in localization.

When the 200s showed up, they took the place of the 100s. Immediatley I noticed a BIG, BIG difference. I thought the Sub was powered off since it appeared that they weren't coming into play anymore. I checked, and yes the sub was still operational. The 200s were a perfect match for the hi-end PF15TL+ sub. The crossover was seamless. People that come over to watch DVDs or listen to music could never guess where the sub is located. I set the sub crossover at 60-70 hz. The mid's were present on the 200s and they played louder than the 100s at the same volume. I checked the specs and they confirmed the higher sensitivity of the 200s [91db].

For the price, [$350 MSRP for the pair], the 100s are a good buy. I would recommend them for rear duty only if you can get them at a $50-100 discount. The 100s are a nice speaker, however, I will rate them a 4 due to the fact that the 200s are a much better deal in comparison even though they are priced $100 more per pair [MSRP]. If you are looking for front mains and are considering the 100s, find the extra cash required to buy the 200s. You won't regret it. If you can't, the 100s will do just fine.

Purchased At:   Audio Video Now!