Definitive Technology PM 500 Floorstanding Speakers

1" aluminum tweeter, 4 1/2 midrange 150 watt powered 8" subwooer

Submitted by hillsound a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers after one in store demo, that's all I needed.I own another full set of def-tech bipolars, so i felt it was time for a pair of direct radiating speakers.
Upon examining these speakers, I realized that with the subwoofer turned all the way off, you basically lose all midrange, as well as deeper bass sounds. I was at first concerned about this, feeling like without the sub turned well up, the speaker is worthless (visions of amplifier circuit overheats leading to unlistenable music sessions). However, I have adjusted my thinking, and after having spoken with a rep at deftech, who told me that this basically never happens, I've eased into these speakers. The beauty of built in subs, is that you can really finetune the musicality to fit the artist you're listening to, a great thing when your taistes are varied.
These speakers are incredible. The frequency response is so flat, it's really in my opinion, perfect. They are so dynamic, conveying highs and lows, and everything in between, with ease. The bass is tight, deep, powerful, even at low volume. There are absolutely no audible cabonat resonances-very solid. These are the kind of speakers that get me excited to listen to my collection, which for me is what it's all about. I should be a friggin sales rep for this company.
I'm using a technics sada10n receiver to power them (well reviewed on this site). One feature of this receiver is vgca(variable gain circuit amplifier), a technology that gives you audiophile grade noise reduction by shuting down everything else, including the display, and the subwoofer output (rca cable). With these speakers, i'm able to utilize this feature, and still have the subwwofers on, since they're being fed by speaker wire (cake and eat it). Also, since the subs are on speaker stands and off the floor, a bit more apartment friendly.
If you're in the market for new speakers, especialy where space is a concern, I highly recommend giving these speakers a listen. Bring cd's of music you listen to, so you have a reference. You will be impressed.

Purchased At:   audiobreakthroughs

Submitted by Gombi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased the Power Monitor 500's as part of a full replacement for a Bose Acoustimass system that turn out to be the worst set of speakers I have ever heard..but hey Bose is the best right? WRONG!!!! These Def Techs are absolutely spectacular! I have never enjoyed listening to music as much as I do now. Stereo CD's and SACD's really come alive when reproduced by these awesome speakers. The built-in subwoofer really kicks and movie performance is just as awesome. Just listen to U-521 depth charge scene on these or listen how the action moves from left to right and viceversa on Daredevil when he goes out to search for "Quesada" at the bar. I am telling you I have never been so happy to be paying for something as I did when I bought these speakers. Take my advise if you are in the Detroit/Troy area, don't set foot on Best Buy, Circuit City, Bose Store, in fact just don't stop anywhere before visiting Pecar's Home Theatre and listen to Definitive Technology speakers. You'll be so happy you did..also bring the wife along..she will love it too

Purchased At:   Pecar's

Submitted by silverpep a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is simply a great pair of speakers - even if you have to pay retail for them. I used to be a hard core audiophile and have seen the Def Tech ads over the years and thought they knocked off Mirage bipolar speakers and advertised too much. I still think they advertise too much but gave theie new Power Monitors a chance. All I can say is wow. I don't think there is another bookshelf sized speaker out there as full range as these. I've heard the expensive Totem Mani's and they cannot compete with the bass response of these. But the great thing about these speakers is not just the awesome bass...there is great integration of the built- in sub with the other drivers. The sound is full range and very clear and coherent. The imaging is wall to wall and rock solid. Great for movies and music. The weight and impact these speakers have continues to amaze me. You really don't need to add a sub. A perfect apartment speaker. The PM 700 has a bit more bass, but the PM 500 really looks small and makes people wonder where your sub is.

Purchased At:   Discount Audio/Video

Submitted by Don Jordan a

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got the go ahead from my wife to build a recreational / entertainment area in my lower level during one of her rare moments of weakness. That set the stage for my first foray into Audio / Visual since the late 60's. I found things had come a long way since my Vietnam era Sansui SP 5000's.

Thanks to sites like this, there is a great deal of information on a wide variety of products. It definitely helped me narrow down the search on all of the components purchased.

For the "hands on" portion, I wound up at a high end Home Theatre Specialist who steered me toward Definitive Technology speakers. They had several great sounding products. My rep directed me to the DT bookshelve PM 500's. I was immediately impressed with the footprint and clean elegant look.

We cranked them up with Dave Matthews playing in stereo, and he left me alone. Carter Beaufort's drum kit never sounded better. Upon his return, we moved over to DVD and suround sound and played "The Matrix." The sounds coming out of those speakers made me duck for cover! The clarity of those ammo shell casings bouncing off the floor was incredulous! I pulled out the checkbook then and there!!!

I figured buying the Powermonitor 500's saved me from having to buy a separate subwoofer!! There's no doubt in my mind that this innovative product has set the course for the future of things to come in the speaker business.

(I may breakdown later and buy a subwoofer) However, I'm in the wait and see mode for now.

My system consists of:
Rear Projection TV: Hitachi 53" HDTV 16:9
AVR Denon 3802 (Working on using that extra channel)
DVD Pioneer Elite DV37