Definitive Technology Mythos -ST Loudspeaker Floorstanding Speakers

3.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $4000.00

This is Definitive technologies flagship loudspeaker ,and a incredible accomplishment.I have been an Audiophile for over 30 years and the last 2 years have seen the big adverts in the major Audio magazines without giving the Mythos -St speakers a second look .Out of curiosity I read the excellent reviews and thought i would give them a try .I have owned big Magneplaners,
Acoustic zen Adagios , Omegas ,Martin Logan and Daedalus Dynamic one.
This speaker took the best that they had to offer such as pin point imaging ,
a Huge sound stage excellent inner detail as well low level detail with a open airy top end that is very holographic .to get the best of these speakers
a good set of 1" spikes is needed as well as a good quality power cord ,and Hifituning silver fuses ,I am extreme but it is noticable ,the bass is fast tight and integrates very well Mid 20hz region is an accurate description.
The only complaint is the connectors should be flush mounted and a little higher quality,Bananas connectors are recommended .
If I had $6k to spend it would be here and getting them for under $3500
a steal one of best values in all of Highend .P.S I am using the exceptional
ICE powered power amplifier ,which is so detailed and clean to truly show off the potential of these speakers, as well as Voodoo audio cables .IF you throw cheap at these speakers
you will be dissapointed for these speakers will show any flaws down stream ,and the beautifull Aluminum boattail cabinets are a thing of beauty
including the 1" solid black Granite bases ,My highest complements !!!!

Submitted by Audiocraze a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
After reading the professional reviews, I decided to add these speakers to my collection of audio equipments. I have listened to them at Best Buy/Magnolia stores and I wasn't too impressed with them.
It is unfortunate to see these fine speakers being hooked up to midfi ancillary equipments and set up in rooms that are not condusive to good sound. Good audio equipment needs to be treated with respect to
deliver the results. I am listening to them in a system consists of Oppo bluray player, Meridian processor(for HT), krell(for music), VTL amplifiers and Parasound JC1s all hooked up with MIT cablings. The sound has presence, pace, and immediacy that is addictive. They are fair more detailed sounding than the PSB Stratus golds that they currently displaced. While the PSBs are warm, mellow, sweet sounding speakers with a bit of bass looseness, the new speakers fast, lean and mean with great bass control. They err on the side of neutrality versus musically of the PSBs. I understand why many professional reviewers like them. I am not going to tell you whether these speakers will work for you or not, but simply describing to you what I hear as compared to the other speakers that I have. No speaker is perfect, and the quest never stops here. Owning as many equipment as I have, I realize there is not a pair of speaker that will 'do it all.'
In absolute terms these STs are indeed very good indeed. I have not fired up my Wilsons since I acquired these speakers. Sure, the Wilsons will take you a little bit further down the path of audio truth, but while listening to these speakers I am constantly surprised by how well they perform for their price. The Wilsons are $20k plus.....If you do decide to get these speakers, you will have to upgrade the rest of your system to match. These speakers will demand you attention or they just will not sound good.

Submitted by Dairybeat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
After reading some good reviews, I had high hopes for these speakers, but what a let down these Mythos with build in subs. are! I really wonder if these pro. reviewers are being paid for writing these (good speakers selling) stories...

I 'tested' them in a hifi-shop in a seperate room, with no other speakers in there. This room was pretty 'dead', so nothing could be added to, or interfere with the bass output. They were standing in open space, with plenty of room behind and beside them. The couch I was sitting on was also away from the wall behind me. The volume settings of the build in subs. were by starting off in the middle position.

As soon as the music appeared, I heard a thumping restless unsteady bass, that spoiled the music scene and stereo picture completely. I triied all kinds of music and many different volume settings on the subs., but nothing helped. Only when the volume settings were fully down, the stereo picture and music scene became steady; but then there was absolutely no bass, with a flat and dead sound.

These speakers are probably okay for people who just want to hear noise and bass, in audio or home cinema, and who don't care for a quality sound (most people...). For quality audio they are absolutely hopeless and well over priced!

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by aaudioman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2008

Bottom Line:
One of the Best Values in all of Audio and as far s overall balance in a loudspeaker even at $6k would still be a excellent choice
I forgot with a built in subwoofer system at 300 watts per side
a well thought loudspeaker system for the Audiophile as well as main home theatre loudspeaker !

Purchased At:   online