Definitive Technology DR 7 Floorstanding Speakers

4.77/5 (22 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

One 25mm moving coil dome tweeter and one 17 cm mineral-filled homopolymer-coned, cast-magnesium basket bass/midrange. (1993-1996)

Submitted by Toad a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have the Definitive DR 7 bookshelf model. I purchased one pair from a guy who stated they were ugly, and plain looking. I contacted Definitive about them because lack of finding a owners manual on Definitives website. They emailed me back with the frequency range, and a recommended power amp rating of 20 watt - 250 watt amp to operate them with. They stated they originally cost $249.00 a pair for bookshelfs, and $299.00, for the tower model. I've been running them through a Rotel pre-amp, and an Onkyo power amp, (at 150 watts per channel). The highs are very good, with the lows being very very good. The mid sound is very good also. I've aquired two pairs of them since. Nothing wrong with having spares I guess. Downs if any is they made the cheap version on a speaker cover, which I've had to repair on two of the 6 I now own. I'm a poor man audiophile. So if you are just starting as a audiophile nut, (FIND A PAIR OF THESE, AND ENJOY). I paid $40.00 first pair, $60.00 2nd pair, $100.00 for third pair and matching center channel.

Submitted by dynamic73 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
I found these speakers on craigslist (Definitive Technology DR 7 Towers). Not really knowing what they were. I grab them and took them home. It took me awhile to fully appreciate these speakers for what they are. A guess because I'm not a big audiophile. Nor have I really had the chance to listen to any real top of the line audio gear.

1st off let me say. If you can find a pair of these speakers, buy them. You can not go wrong with a pair of these speakers. You'll immediately notice the low bass response. You will not need a sub woofer with these babies. The bass is very pronounced and true sounding. Mid range is nice and clear and the highs are as smooth as butter. It will make a cheap stereo receiver sound better. And make a good stereo receiver sound amazing. These speakers love rock and roll music but they will shine playing any music. The more I listen to them. The more I realize just how good sounding they really are.

I did have the problem of the drivers surrounds coming off in places when I 1st got them. They sounded really bad. Since they are not foam surrounds. I did not have to buy new foam. The drivers use rubber surrounds. So I peeled them off completely and re-glued them back down, all the way around. They sounded like new after re-gluing them. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I also didn't like the light colored wood end caps. Which I refinished them in a dark mahogany finish.

I think these speakers are probably very under rated. You won't find a whole lot about them on the net. Nor do you hear a whole lot of people talking about them. But those of us who do own them. You know they are in the top of their class.

Submitted by david a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
Just for the heck of it, I challenged my adiophile friend with the$ 60k B&W "rock star" and 4 amp set up to a duel.. Here is the set up- My NAD 25 watt integrated amp and my DR 7's to his system. We used his high end CD player in his environment. His room is 25 by 35 with A frame roof. He played 4 of his favorite comp pieces, I played 4 of mine. We both felt my system at 1/100th of the price, was 98% of his. The lowest octave was the only thing missing....that could be had for a good sub, but rarely do I need that bottom 20-30hz. It was still present, but most likely 5-10db down. He got spanked!

I love these speakers! I did have to use crazy glue to re-glue the surrounds, but got a comp set from def tech just in case.

Submitted by Old Toad a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2008

Bottom Line:
Well this is one of the best $40.00 I ever spent. These speakers have good bass for the size, and they are built heavy. I like the highs too. I bought these about 3 years ago at a yard sale. They sounded great when I got them home, and still do. I put them in my surround sound system for the front speakers. I'm pushing them through a Onkyo Power Amp (I have Three of These). Can't remember the model number, but it's 150 watts per channel. I have a Infinity Center channel. My rear channels are a pair of JBL Pro slighly smaller speakers. They're stuidio monitors. I have two Klipsch powered subs. They are 12" 150 watt powered subs. Eric Clapton, (One More Car One More Rider DVD) Sounds Great on it.

Purchased At:   Yard Sale

Submitted by maxspinel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
I never thought that I would buy something that have been discontinued for over 10 years. I owned a full set of Def tech in my living room. They are awsome for HT but lack details and precise imaging required for music listening.

As I was setting up another set in the bonus room for both HT and music, I opted for something definitely not bipolar; they have to be relatively small yet can handle low bass without a subwoofer. I have auditioned numerous brands such as B&W and Paradigm. Only the Def Tech PM 700 seems to fulfill all my constraints but they are very pricey. I was watching ebay for a used pair and somehow an auction of the DR-7 came up. I grabbed them as fast as I could based on all the rave reviews even after their discontinuation

When I first connected the speakers, they were distorted and crackling as if they were blown. Then I remembered the other review on the delamination of the woofer cone from the surround and upon careful inspection, that was indeed the case. We simply glued them back and wow, we were totally blown away. We are still in awe of the rich and vibrating sound put out by these little ones, which normally can only be achieved by others twice their size and more than four times the price. It is sad that my BP2002 tower ($2000 when new) can't even hold itself besides the small DR-7. Compared to the little bookshelf, not only that it lacks the details for music, it does not even have tight and clear enough bass for HT. Now I know how much that I have been missing. No wonder that Def Tech has to discontinue the DR Series since their signatures BP series, even with a much higher price tag, can't really compete in direct comparison.

That is the best $250 that I've spent.