Definitive Technology BP7006 Floorstanding Speakers

These elegant, slender towers seem to disappear in a huge natural soundstage which extends in a three-dimensional arc beyond the speakers with front to back depth which can be almost magical in its ability to recreate the illusion of live music or cinematic action actually being performed in your room.

Submitted by LTH a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2012

Bottom Line:
Great speakers but after 4 years, one speaker developed a noticeable 120 Hz hum. The speaker was beyond the 3 year warranty period for electronics problems and Best Buy did not seem to be interested in providing out-of-warranty repairs. Decided to email Definitive support to see if I could buy a replacement part, expecting it to be $$$$$. Received a response from Definitive less than 2 hours later. The support tech said that even though I was "slightly out of warranty," he could still take care of my problem and would send a replacement internal amplifier at no charge! He even attached a PDF with detailed do-it-yourself directions for the repair. Definitive is a company that REALLY supports their products.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Rob 999 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2007

Bottom Line:
I won’t repeat all that has been written by Pro reviewers but will say that I back everything that has been written – these are excellent speakers.

I set out to treat myself to some new main speakers after growing a little tired of my PSB 1000’s (which I never really liked from the outset, for a bunch of reasons). I actually still preferred my circa 1986 Paradigm Model 9s’ , a classic 2 way acoustic suspension if ever there was one.

So off I went, to all of the local high-end stores, at least those that are still in business. Did I mention my budget was capped at a firm $2,000 CDN, taxes in? What did I first listen to… PSB Image series, Paradigm Monitors & Studio series, Revel Towers, Focul-JM Labs, Infinity, B&W, Energy Connoisseurs’, Totem Staff, and a few others. I really liked the Revels, and Paradigm Studio60’s, but both were just a little too big for my family room. What struck me in my shopping expedition was that in a lot of ways, speakers had not really advanced that much in 20 years, at least not in comparison to other areas of technology.

It was going to be the Energy Connoisseurs, until, I went to one more last shop and gave the BP7006’s a listen. I could not believe how they left the others far behind. I found their imaging and sound stage similar to the Totem Staff’s, but offered so much more deep tight bass, the choice was easy. A word of caution though is the variable bass does have to be tamed somewhat, so resist the temptation of cranking it when in two channel listening. Thanks to the bi-polar tech, they sound just as good no matter where you sit in the room. Close your eyes and they disappear, you're in a concert hall.

The bass is fast and tight, midrange (vocals, string and wind instruments) clear, accurate, and realistic. As for the highest treble detail, perhaps not the last word, but, and it’s a big but, my amp (Nakamichi AV8) or cables, or both, may be to blame. When listening to music in my Sennheiser HD590’s, I am able to pick up instrumental subtleties not heard when listening to the BP7006’s. Again, subtleties, and I cannot rule out my amp. The room is also near dead acoustically, so a lot of this musical detail may not make it to my easy chair.

Frankly, when the clerk first brought these speakers to my attention, I new next to nothing about Definitive Tech. I thought the bi-polar thing and built in subs were a gimmick. So back to an earlier comment I made, these speakers proved that there have been some significant leaps in speaker technology in the past 20 years! The music fills a big room evenly and the amp does not break a sweat thanks to the powered sub.

I listen to just about all music and these speakers do not play favorites, it all sounds good, non-fatiguing. These will be around the house for some time to come.

One more thing, they are excellent in HT. No longer a need for a separate subwoofer.

Submitted by westin40 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased the DF BP7006 speakers a few months ago. It was a decision between the BP7006 and BP-10'S. I choose the BP7006 because of cost, and the builtin amps (300 watts). They arrived in excellent condition. I connected them to my Denon 3802 reciever with 10 ga. moster cable and Lfe output from the reciever, using a y connector. This speaker allows for LFE signals (RCA)to be input from the receiver also. Be sure and follow DF instructions for setting them up (main/LFE + SUB).

It took a few hours moving the speakers around to find a sweet spot. The results, 12 inches from the rear walls, about 2 1/2 feet from sides and 7 1/2 feet apart. I was blown away by the sound that these speakers produced. The bass was remarkable, and they filled the entire room with sound(14X30). Don't let the size of these speakers fool you, they are great.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by DanEz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchase the BP7006's two days ago and the sound out of the box is great. The bass is tight, but not overwhelming and the midrange and high end is clear. My room is pretty big and the speakers fill my room with 3-D sound. I recommend these speakers to anyone who is looking for powered towers because Definitive Technology really did a great job paying attention to detail.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics