Definitive Technology BP 8B Floorstanding Speakers

4.43/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

Two 25 mm pure aluminum dome tweeters; two 14 cm mineral-filled homopolymer- coned, cast-magnesium basket bass/midranges

Submitted by W.Todd Jueschke a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2011

Bottom Line:
I first herd the bp8b's 15 years ago at a high end store and I never forgot them. I have wanted to buy a pair right then and there but couldn't really afford them at the time. A month ago I looked on eBay and found a pair for 315.00 and quickly bought them. I have had a pair of Advent6003 which are an amazingly smooth and good sounding speaker but after 25 years I am very bored with them and needed a change badly. I had for a small time a pair of used Mags 1.6 that I bought for a very good price but regrettably I sold them because they didn't sound good at all with Hard Rock. I kick my self for doing that because piano and string instruments sounded so incredibly "life like" it moved me very much. I love most genre's of music (except Rap and hip--hop) but needed a speaker that could play anything. So when a saw the 8b's on eBay I grabbed them.
1st.--
I first noticed that the bp8bs were very Thin sounding and was very disappointed as That was not that sound I remember hearing. I have a Denon 588 receiver and put it away and brought out my old Harman Kardon 110. Wow what a huge improvement. The sound is more warmer over all better sounding. So they do need a warmer amp to drive them.
2nd--
I also noticed that like what others have said they really are placement sensitive. I have them at 9" from the back wall and 14"from my entertainment center. I find that they sound good for me at least this way.
3rd--
Like most high end speakers they produce what ever you give them. Basically if you play a poor recording they will sound poor, if you play a excellent recording they will sound excellent. for example. Return to forever's live DVD at Montreux sounds so good, the drums are very Life like.
I do love these speakers and I know they will bring many years of listening pleasure.

Submitted by some guy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
as shown, i only paid $265 on ebay, plus the seller lives 25 miles from me, so i just picked them up, no shipping $. i sold a pair of b&w 601's and a pair of kef q15's for almost $500 because i figured i would have to spend every penny to get something better. even at their retail price of $800 they are a steal!!! as i said i had b&w 601's, not the best speaker in the world, but pretty darn good for a bookshelf speaker, and the def tech bp8b's definitely blow the b&w's away (and the kef's of course) hands down. obviously they take up more space than any bookshelf speaker, but if you dont mind using towers, these are the way to go, used or not. i have noticed so much more with all my music, and i find myself listening to so much more, classical, blues, some jazz even. the b&w's sounded great but piano music was harsh, the bp's actually remind me of when my mom used to play the piano in our house, because they actually sound like a real piano, something i have never heard from such a low priced brand. i have auditioned almost every brand out there, def tech cant be beat for the price, as far as i have heard, they cant be beat for at least 3 times the price.

Submitted by musiclover60 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
Well, after 20 plus years my JBL L46's finally gave out. The foam surrounds on one woofer were cracked, on the other seperated. Strong bass notes meant distortion every time. So I'm thinking to myself, "These speakers were good, and cost $400 twenty years ago. I should be able to pick up something of similar quality for around $600 now." After trips to Best Buy, Circuit City, and others of that ilk, I found out how wrong I was. Everything sounded like crap! Regardless of the price! JBLs, Infintys, Polks, and everything else sounded worse than my twenty year old broken down speakers. So I decided to jack my budget up to $1000 and head to some REAL stereo stores. Now the speakers sounded good, but my one grand looked puny. Paradigms? Sounded good, but needed a sub woofer. $1400 dololars. Listened to Klipsch, yuck! Listened to some Def Tech 7006s and the first words out of my mouth were "Oh my". They sounded better than speakers twice their price. Still they were $1200, $200 over my self imposed limit. Did they have any BP10s or BP8s? No, the closest store that carried those models was in Chicago, a 4 hour drive. So I kept looking and found a store in town that carried the Vandersteen 1Cs (a great speaker) and decided on those for $880 including stands and setup. I stopped in a pawn shop the same week I was going to put the money down on the Vandersteens, and lo and behold, a pair of used Def Tech BP8b's were standing right there. What's the price? $350. I talked him down to $325, and got 1 week to try them in home.
The verdict? FANTASTIC! I kept 'em.
First, their depth of stage, like all Def Techs, is unequalled at any price. There just aren't enough superlatives for them. Second, their width of stage, though not as good as their depth , is still very good. The imaging is fantastic in a speaker in this price range. The highs are crisp and clean and smoother than you would expect from an aluminum dome tweeter. The midrange is slightly recessed but accurate and true ( a sub set to cross at about 50 hz or so should bring the mids out more). The bass is much better than I expected, able to handle all but the lowest organ notes and synthasizer notes. You don't really need a sub with these puppies.
Placement is modeerately critical. When I first set them up I had them 10 inches from the rear wall and the bass was quite boomy. I moved them out to 16 inches and started losing that wonderful depth. I moved them to 14 inches from the rear wall and viola, no boominess (well very little) and that wonderful depth was back.
Are they as good as the 7006s? No, but they are $400 cheaper new, and they stay under that magical $1000 mark. If you're looking for a quality speaker for under a grand, you owe it to yourself to audition these!

Purchased At:   Pawn Mart

Submitted by chuteskier a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
So I've best running around for most of my life trying to fall in love with a speaker. I have finally done it. I went into my usual audio store to listen to some B&W 603 S2's after hearing some paradigms (which sounded awful) at another audio store near me. The sales guy was more than happy to show me the B&Ws, but I then noticed the little monoliths sitting right near them. I asked about them and he says that they are Definitive Technologies, and are amazing. So I did some switching back and forth between the B&Ws and the Def Techs, and it was simply astounding. When I listened to the music from the B&Ws, I knew it was coming from a speaker box in front of me. It was clean, but it was still obviously coming out of some box. The Def Techs were a whole different ballgame. Each time I switched back to them, I was blown away, the notes were freed, music surrounded me in a way I had never experienced. I played Joni Mitchell, Simon and Garfunkel, Coldplay, the Zombies, Elliott Smith, and lots more and I played them to hear what they were supposed to sound like. I had always wanted to like the B&Ws, I figured it was what I was supposed to do if I knew what I was talking about, but the 3-D soundstage that the Def Techs throw is staggering, almost confusing in that it makes the music completely effortless. It's just music, not distortion, no filler, and all you can hear are the perfect notes, singers taking breaths, fingers shifting on the fretboards, and it's a magical experience. I now have them hooked up to a Marantz vc-5200, Luxman R-351, and am amping them with a Musetex amp. Giving them more watts definitely brings out more bass, but I am still looking into a subwoofer, although for regular music it isn't necessary. Daft punk fared well under low volume levels, but when the bass needed more everything went off kilter.
So if you are confused, and don't know why you can't find the amazing speakers you crave for under a grand, seek out the Def Techs. I can't speak for you, but they had me sold four seconds into my first song with them. Also, they look awesome and the soundstage it really cool because it has almost no limits, go behind the speakers, they still sound great, in between them, it's all good, and in the sweet spot it's just heaven.

Purchased At:   Audio Etc.

Submitted by Neelesh a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
Alright, here's the story:

Well, when i was in high school (yes, I'm young...) I wanted to have a good home theater setup, so my dad and I went off to the local "boutique" A/V shop, and ended up with some Boston Acoustics speakers, a cheap Denon receiver, and a DVD player I still like because of it's immense ease-of-use (my c. 1950 mom can operate it...) Well, they people came in, installed everything and we looked forward to getting blown away by some intense HT experience... unfortunately the setup was pretty poor. The BA surrounds were of disgustingly poor quality, and the main speakers made you very aware of their presence. I made my dad return this stuff right away, and I sought out advice on how to do HT the RIGHT way... 3 months later we ended up with the BP8Bs, BP2X surrounds and a ProSub 100. The Def Techs are the only speaker to consider, they actually look decent in a living room, unlike those plasticky BAs, and various other brands.

Purchased At:   ebay :-/

Definitive BP 6B/8B/10B series as rear surrounds?

Hi all -- I recently purchased two Def Tech BP7006's to use as my front speakers and a c/l/r 2002 to use as my center for my HT setup. I was going to buy something from the BPX series to use as my rear surrounds, but I'm seeing a lot of the BP6B/8B/10B towers on ebay, and, wisdom of purchasing s ... Read More »