Definitive Technology BP-8080ST Floorstanding Speakers

• Recommended amplifier power: 20 - 400 Watts
  • Internal amplifier power: 455 watts

Submitted by David Wynsen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2013

Bottom Line:
NOTE: The model year of my BP8080sc's is 2012. Please note that the above box, labeled "What is the product model year?" doesn't permit an entry later than 2010.

I have owned, or extensively listened to, a large number of audiophile or near-audiophile speakers over the past decade or two. Brands include Klipsch, Acoustic Research, Magnaplanar, ADC, Definitive Technology, Velodyne, Bose, Paradigm, Hsu, and assorted lesser names. While each brand has its strong points, no single brand accomplishes what Def Tech succeeds in doing with their BP8080sc's. It is seriously difficult to know where to begin, but let's start at the top.

The BP8080sc's can reproduce shimmering highs that faithfully reproduce the crash of a 16" cymbal, including its sizzling decay. (I am a modestly accomplished drummer, guitarist and bass-player. I know what these instruments sound like L-I-V-E!) The BP8080sc's nail it. There is no hash, no ill-defined raspiness. There is only K. Zildjian cymbal splendor.

Perhaps the most pleasing aspect of the BP-8080sc's is their "you are there" midrange. The mids are reproduced faithfully -- they are neither too forward nor too recessed in the sound stage. The proof of that "you are there" pudding is that they never become tiring even at ridiculously loud volumes. And that's an acid-test. I'm convinced that these speakers could easily do real ear damage even in a fairly large room if one were stupid enough to push them to their limits. Don't do it.

As I said earlier, I am an (ear-plug-wearing) ex-bass player from a serious rock band. I know what l-o-u-d is, and I know what real, unattenuated, belly-shaking bass sounds (and feels) like. And this is where the BP-8080sc's really shine. Yes, they can reproduce bass notes loudly. But where they excel is in their definition of those bass notes. It is as if you can actually count the Hertz below about 30 Hz! They are distinct without a hint of strain or -- more bothersome -- bass bloat. It is really quite amazing -- even surpassing my 12" dedicated Hsu subwoofer in the level of detail they exhibit.

As others have stated, these speakers need breathing room. They really do. I have my BP8080sc's placed about 30" from the rear wall, and approximately 36" from the side wall. They are toed-in by approximately 20 degrees. They are quite sensitive to placement; they will require some patience to fine-tune them. But it's well worth it.

My experience with the Definitive Technology BP8080sc's has been stunning. I am hearing sounds that I've never heard before from my CD collection. (BTW, I use upsampling technology to smooth out the usually less-than-desirable standard CD sound. It works for me.) I feel like I am discovering my music collection all over again. And how can you improve on that?