Definitive Technology BP 8 Floorstanding Speakers

4.33/5 (45 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

Two 19 mm moving coil dome tweeters; two 14 cm mineral-filled homopolymer-coned cast-magnesium basket bass/midranges.

Submitted by r32657 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
Ive own these speakers for a very long. These where my "nice" speakers that I bought in college. Back then, I compared them to Vandersteens, Sonus Faber, Magnepan and Martin Logan. Compared to those, the BP 8 speakers just had a certian "rightness" to them. They sounded much better than the Klipsch Signatures that I was using, especialy In the highs and mids.
Back then, I was using an NAD preamp, NAD 502 cd player and Hafler amp from that era. They sounded great, never felt shrill etc. They do need a lot of space around them to sound very open. Ideal space is about 2-3 feet from the walls.
Last weekend, I was out looking at different speakers to finally replace these with something that can better fit the quality of of my current system. I'm currently using Wadia for my DAC and transport, McCormack preamp in passive mode, Audio Research SS amp. All of this connect with Transparant cable. Being married now, I need to go on a college student's budget again. Classe components was used to power all of the first batch of speakers I tried. First up was a pair of used Soliloquy 6.3. They sounded like they where under a wet blanket. B&W CM7, sounded good, but not as open. Next came a used pair of Dynaudio Special 25. Sounded better than the B&W and Soliloquy, but if blindfolded, I could not pick them over my BP8.
At another store, with everything powered by Bel Canto, I tried Sonus Faber in the 2k range, smooth, not as open as I would like, in order to fork over 2k. Magnepan in the same price range, sounde really nice, except the highs where a little bright. Triad sounded similar to the Sonus Faber. The music I used, where Enya, Phill Collins and Dido.
So I am still listening to my very old BP8's and surprised that they held up that well in my test. Now if I can only afford a pair of Willson Watt Puppies, I'd be done with this need to upgrade my speakers.

Submitted by r_chopin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this pair of BP8's over a year ago. They were slightly used, and only now I can appreciate the sound they produce. Don't know what the everage break-in period is, but a year made a huge difference. Let me add that this is my first pair of better-than-avarage speakers, although before buying them, I checked quite a few different ones (my price cap was around CAD$2,000). For what I need the speakers for, nothing came even close, considering the combination of price and performance. I have them hooked up to the low line SONY receiver from early 90's, and the sound is still amazing. I had them compared with BP10's in the store, but did not find the difference in price to be reflected in the better performance. Like the previous reviewers mention, the placement of those speakers is really important. I have to admit, that they lack something in the middle range, so when you listen to e.g. solo piano, it's not what you would expect.
I think BP8's are some of the best in their category (price range).

Purchased At:   Canadian Sound (Bram

Submitted by Lee Dise a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
In 1997, I went into the store determined to buy a pair of B&W's, and walked out with the BP-8s. Though primarily a Classical music listener, what sold me on them in fact was a "big band" jazz recording. I had never heard speakers that could put on a sound stage like that, for anywhere near the price. And P.S., they're great for Classical too, especially the big rambunctious Romantic-era symphonies. Put on the Telarc recording of the Cincinnati Symphony playing Bruckner's Eighth Symphony, sit back with a shot and a cold beer, and it's time to rock the house!

One of the other reviewers correctly noted that the mid-range is a bit weak and the highs a bit harsh (probably the metal tweeters...?). So why do I like them so much? Must be the bipolar sound. To me, they just sound much more resonant and realistic than ordinary speakers. The imaging is outstanding, the dynamic range is formidable, and the bass is really quite good.

In fact, the bass was so good that I hesitated to buy a subwoofer. But I did anyway, and much of the harshness of the highs went away. They're mated with a Phase Technology PC-Sub, and these components work together like the 1979 Pittsburgh Steeler linebacking squad. With the crossover set at about 60 cycles, it just seems to take any strain out of the sound.

There was a noticeable improvement when I went to separates for the power supply, however. My old low-powered NAD receiver was clearly not up to the task. Now, the speakers are driven with a Rotel pre-amp and a Rotel 120-wpc amp, and that has made an enormous difference. The sound is three-dimensional and thick.

One of the keys with the BP-8s is placement. It may be a function of the bipolarity, but if they're placed badly, the result is a boomy sound with little definition. In my living room, I have them placed widely apart and angled in about 20 degrees.

Don't know what I'd be listening to if it weren't for the BP-8s. I can't afford Linn's. I just don't care much for B&W's, though everyone tells me I should. I auditioned an NHT satellite system awhile back and liked them, but they just couldn't handle the dynamic and tonal range of, say, the "Saturn" movement of Holst's Planets (the Dutoit/Montreal recording is an exceptional audition piece for speakers).

Purchased At:   Custom Electronics,

Submitted by Rob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
Excellant Speakers for the money, great for dvd and surround.

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have to say I really love these speakers. Tight bass, very precise highs. Again, a bit weak in the mid-range.
Overall a very solid proformer.
The price cannot be beat!