Definitive Technology BP 2006TL Floorstanding Speakers

4.64/5 (53 Reviews) MSRP : $1198.00

Bipolar Power Tower Two 4 1/2 midwoofers Two 1" Tweeters One 8" Subwoofer 250 watt RMS amp per speaker

Submitted by Charlie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2013

Bottom Line:
Although I'm not sure of the actual age of the set of BP2006's I have, no matter what the age (and it's now about 7 or 8 years that I have them), I wouldn't give them up for anything. I bought them used on Ebay for 600 dollars and they came with original boxes. I never owned better speakers. I'm a musician and sound man so I do know what it's like to crave good equipment, and these speakers fit that bill for me. I did get to hear them in a hi end audio complex and I fell in love with them, even with the small footprint they have. The clarity is remarkable and not thin sounding even for only having 4" mid/bass woofers. The 8 inch sub is outstanding for the size and with the overhead of a 250 watt power amp to drive them, the bass hasn't been muddy yet.
I use mine for recorded music including cd, cassette tape and reel to reel. WHen I record, I have confidence that the 2006's will reproduce a truly uncolored sound and when I say record, I mean live music in my studio or live performance recordings. I never had to have the bass or sub volume, control past half way. Just the other night we were watching an action movie (space stuff) and I cranked it up for the effect of "being there" and these babies did the trick. While watching, I pointed out to my company the basement door door knob. It was turning from the bass and still, no breaking up. If you ever need or would love to have a great set of speakers, these are them. Oh, I forgot to mention that I do listen to classical music and vinyl, wow!! The imaging (very important) is phenomenal. And you can look ahead with your eyes closed and tell right where the instruments are....By Def Tech!! You will never regret it!! My ultimate quest once I sell my pa gear, is to purchase the 7000's. I heard these when they first came out in a a full def tech system. The only thing I can say is "Oh my God"!!! the floor was moving under us from the ultra low end. Yep, I'm sold, and I hope you will be too!!!

Submitted by Steve62 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
I too have owned more expensive audio gear in the past including Apogee Stage Speakers and Music Reference amplifiers. So, after being out of this for awhile, I decided to get back with NAD C372 Integrated Amp, Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD player, and the Definitive Technology BP 2006TL speakers. It has amazes me how good “entry level” high end gear has gotten. I’m not saying that these speakers are the latest word in high end sound – they certainly are not. But they’re close. The bass is deep and tight with a smooth midrange. The highs are detailed and for the most part pretty smooth. Where these speakers really excel is their imaging. In my room, the sound stage is wide, extending well beyond the sides of the speakers. There is also plenty of depth. Imaging is also very good. Instruments and vocalists have a presence that comes close to some very, very expensive speakers. Overall, these speakers are worth the money.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by isc1jap a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
I am starting to build an above average home theater system. I currently have a Def. Tech. center and have recently purchased the 2006TL's. All I can say is ... small but powerful! I am impressed by the amount of sound these speakers produce. The 8" has tight, solid low bass but does have its limits. Don't get me wrong, it is very solid though. To my ears, Def Tech has a crisp, clean sound. The 2006TL's will be replacing a less than spectacular pair of Pioneer towers with 12" woofers. The sound from the 2006TL's was a little "bright" initially. Little did I know how much "music" I was missing prior to my upgrade. Once my ears adjusted, it is difficult for me to listen to anything else. I have a wide music interest range: Jazz, Classical, Rock, R&B, Electronica, Hip Hop, Big Band, and even some Computer Generated music on occassion (eg, Techmaster P.E.B). Everything but the computer generated music (ultra low bass) sounds excellent without any level adjustments to the speakers. With the computer generated music, I have to turn the amplifier down considerably to get a balanced sound (the bass is overpowering). I also watch quite a few movies and these are my front L/R speakers. My next upgrade will be for my surround speakers and I beleive I have decided on the Def Tech BPX surrounds. I would like to hear them before I purchase them. Even if I don't get a chance to hear them first, I don't think I will be disappointed as I am pleased with the look, feel, and sound of my previous Def Tech speaker purchases. I would recommend these speakers to people who's wife may not want huge tower speakers sitting in the living room (I speak from experience). The look is very clean and classy. The speakers are very slim but capable of producing window rattling bass and crisp highs that will blow you away. Don't overlook these speakers because they only have an 8" woofer, once you hear them you may realize that they produce more than enough sound. I am still new to this level ($) of equipment. I have noticed that when listening to music, I can hear instruments coming from parts of the room that I've never heard before (sound stage). I'm still training my ears to hear these things but I can definitely notice the difference. When watching a movie, when something zips across the screen, the sound appears to start on one side of the room and moves seamlessly across to the far side of the room.

Purchased At:   Ovation, KY

Submitted by meephis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
These are a very good buy especially at this price. one thing i can't stand is when people have no F***ing clue what they are talking about and don't even have the common sense to even check the F***ing owners manual to see that the top is supposed to come off to remove the sock and the feet unscrew to, get this, reviel these magical openings that you screw carpet spikes into. I mean come on, really, don't review things unless you have a basic knowledge of the unit. These are fantastic speakers that pump out surprizingly powerful sound from their rather modest cabinet size.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics

Submitted by jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
After listening to the 2006TLs for almost a year, I am writing the review. I stopped back to this site because I am finally ready ($) to upgrade my receiver. The Def Techs are the first real speakers that I have owned. I bought the 2006TLS as part of the Def Tech HT system that includes the CLR2300 and BP2Xs. Prior to buying the Def Techs, I visited many web sites reading reviews. I then listened to speakers and Circuit City and then at audio stores. I knew that nothing at CC would satisy me after listening to Def Techs, Phase Techs and Paradigms. Anyway, the point is that the Def Techs offered the most bang for the buck. The 2006s are absolutely incredible. I do not know all the technical jargon, but I know music and I know what my ears like. For rock music, the Def Techs are the best. However, do not take my review or anyone elses as gospel. Go to audio stores, sample today's technology and enjoy the sound as well as the experience. The Def Techs will be hard to beat.

Purchased At:   audiocraft

first purchase: paradigm mini monitors or dt bp-2006tl's

i know, i know, these speakers are completely different from one another. for now i am mostly interested in listening to music, but i will expand to a home theatre a bit later on. i am really just interested in getting the best bang for the buck. i can get a pair of Definitive Technologies BP-20 ... Read More »