Definitive Technology BP 20 Floorstanding Speakers

4.55/5 (22 Reviews) MSRP : $1600.00

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

Two 25 mm moving coil, aperiodic dome tweeters; four 17 cm mineral-filled homopolymer-coned, cast-magnesium basket bass/midranges.

Submitted by jimmy pisciotta a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2013

Bottom Line:
I had these speaker since 1993 brand new and I love them today as much as I loved them back then !!! I guess that says everything. I had the same problem with the glue on the speakers but definitive stood by their speakers !! they sent me 8 new drivers and new tweeters I guess so everything was new. how many company's will do that. I spoke with the owner of the company(I cant remember his name) back then and he just wanted to know how I liked the speakers. I told him it was the best speakers I heard. I wish they still made these !!

Submitted by Larry Denham a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2008

Bottom Line:
I own a pait of BP7001s towers (Paid $6500.00 new) they have 1500 watt built in subs, for $ 395.00 who could go wrong on the BP20's. I run them with an ONKYO m501 (150 per channel) the bp20 could take a lot more, they are incredible speakers, great for rock music nice gut thumping bass, I am not running a sub and I love the pure old school solid sound. You could run a sub and they will run right along with the expensive BP7001s with built in subs.
Truly a great speaker and available on ebay cheap. The more power the better. I have bought another onkyo and will bi-wire them and they will really rock.
I paid $ 400 for both amps/$ 500.00 for the BP20's along with a used mint adcom pre-amp total cost was $ 990.00 - plus a new samsung cd player for $ 100.00
The tuner on the adcom is great. Needless to say for a $1000.00 it sounds like $ 5,000 plus in todays dollars...highly recommended

Submitted by masstar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
Ive had my BP-20s for a while now...and I still love them. I did have problems with the glue coming loose on the drivers, but all 8 were replaced under warranty - no charge, no hassle. The BP-20s dont have the integrated sub like the 2000s and 3000s...and I like this better. Id rather get my own sub and place it where i want in the room. Even though thse things go pretty low in the first place, you really dont need one. Sometimes on a great recording like Sade's "your not the mn" off "promise". WOW...close your eyes and the walls just melt away. Anyway, these speakers really shine at higher volumes and in bigger rooms. Get yourself a good sized amp because they love power. My 200 watt Mac drives them pretty well but they seem to taunt me for more...Play with the placement a bit...dont put them too close to the wall or corners...angle slightly inward for more brightness and pinpointing.

Submitted by RBains a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
Absolutely pleased with them. Bought them when they first came out. I'd tested other speakers (including Paradigms which I consider quite excellent) and still liked the BP20s better.

Still sounds great 10 years later, even more so with DVD-Audio and SACD.

Purchased At:   local stereo shop (V

Submitted by daniel-SF-USA a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
After buying an a pair of bp10s, used from a local guy, I got these bp20s used from a private seller in Florida. Now bp20s are the front channels of my surround system, with bp10s for back channels. All the fine qualities of the bp10s are duplicated by the bp20s, only more so. bass projection is just that much better, although the really nice thing about these speakers is that the mid and high frequencies are so clear, accurate and sweet, with the bass kicking in just when it really should, not otherwise. Clear zing from the tweeters gilds the all-important solidity and presence of the mid-ranges. Instruments and voices are really there, hanging right in space. You forget that the tall columns are putting out the sound. whether for classical/jazz or for movie soundtracks, nothing gets lost in muddled boom or wall-shaking bash that is more distortion than music or sound. I must emphasize how nice it is to just get involved in the music or movie soundtrack, with loads of presence just wafting about in the air, and forget that it's all coming out of a system with boxes, speakers, wires, electrical components, etc. The better stuff just disappears, and that is all good.

Purchased At:   Private Seller/Audio

def tech bp 20: how to test for buying used?

Hi all! I am new to the forum. I just started hooking up my new Onkyo 5007. I have def tech mythos 3 center mythos gems for surrounds and mains< and a supercube 1 at the moment. I have come across a deal for a few bigger, older def tech speakers. Here is what I am looking at: BP 20 pair BP 10 pair ... Read More »