Definitive Technology BP 10B Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

Two 25 mm pure aluminum dome tweeters; two 17 cm mineral-filled homopolymer- coned, cast-magnesium bass/midranges

Submitted by DefinitiveSid a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
Formerly, I was a Polk Audio fan that always wanted to upgrade. Since I continuously upgraded, and changed, I eventually just changed speaker brands completely.

Having heard Definitive before at a friends house, they interested me, so I picked up the BP6B. With their unique, yet incomplete sound, I proceeded to go for the BP10B.

The BP10B is a rather robust looking speaker, and weighs quite a bit at 60Lbs. With 1" thick Medite front and back, and 3/4" Particle board sides, and robust drivers. It is definetely a step above others in its price range with construction (Particle board aside).

The Definitive, upon hook up was effortless. Yet it still gave my B&K a work out, it really needs power to produce the lows. It has the potential to produce the lows, I just can't do it with my limited power.

The highs are incredibly smooth for aluminums, and are amazingly detailed. The guitars remain clear and vibrant throughout most songs, but this also has its down side as it shows pretty much all of the defects of songs...

The mids this speaker produce are great, very smooth and the transition between the mids and highs is nothing but stellar, which is one huge step for me as most all of my Polk speakers before had a nasty hiss between the mids and highs.

The soundstage, Definitive is known for a lifelike soundstage. The Definitives are incredibly placement oriented, and in my small room I can not get seperated far enough for them to REALLY open up. However in my limited space, they are wide, and incredibly deep. Depending on the song, the BP10B can control the room with no problems at all. It also has incredible seperation between instruments, that I don't hear often in this price range.

They do particularly well with Blues/Jazz/Metal. I know you are thinking, Jazz and Metal, what in the world? But these speakers can reproduce bands like Disturbed like no other I have heard. They just can 'do it'. Stuff like Jonny Lang, no problem. BB King, no problem. They can do about any kind of music you throw at them.

Definitive is a fine speaker company, a speaker that can NOT be heard right in stores. An in-home demo is a must, or you just won't 'get it'. They require ALOT of tinkering with placement to get them to sound right. The show rooms at stores just don't cut it.

So if you are interested in giving these speakers a go, get an in-home demo, and another thing about them. They sound terrible on receivers. If you plan to buy these, give them an amp and watch them open up. Simple as that.

Fine speaker, I would love to own the BP30 one day.

Purchased At:   EBay

Submitted by chimera128 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was considering speakers for the rear channels. My house is going to be complete in about 2 months and I wanted something full range for the surrounds. While browsing local stores I found the BP10. It sounded much better than the BPVX and the BPVX/P. I am going to wait till I move in to get the rest of my system, as i am quickly running out of space in my apartment.

Purchased At:   Local Retailer

Submitted by jayvahs a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers back in March of this year to compliment the Boston VR965's.
The goal was to regain the same overall soundstage presence that I lost when I donated my 25 year old Bose 901's to Courage Center. I can honestly say that this goal was achieved. And with a LOT less power per channel. These are GREAT secondary (or rear channel) speakers. Some listeners may not like the direct- reflecting (what Definitive calls Bi-Polar) characteristics, since three of the drivers are mounted in the rear of the cabinet and are required to be 6-8' from the rear wall. A great compliment for any system.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics

Submitted by trekman2001 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers in January to complete my surround system (I'm using the pro 100's for the sides and rear channels.) I love these speakers. I think they have just incredibe range. You can't go wrong getting a pair of these. I listend to both the bp8 and the bp6's and while those were quite good the bp10b's were just a little richer in sound quality for not that much more money.

Purchased At:   Magnolia Hi-Fi

Submitted by Claude Dean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Dollar for dollar these speakers are tough to beat.I recently had a pair of B&W 803's in my system for a few days.Very nice speakers,incredible build quality.But when I put my BP10B's back I was able to appreciate how good they really sound.They are a little rough around the edges and more forward and aggressive sounding than the B&W's,but that's what I like.(I listen to hard rock mostly)For movies they are amazing,huge soundfield.
My system:Sony STRDA5ES
Energy RVSS
HTS1 (center rear)
Panamax Max 1000+
Cables by Kimber,Monster,AR,NBS

Definitive BP 6B/8B/10B series as rear surrounds?

Hi all -- I recently purchased two Def Tech BP7006's to use as my front speakers and a c/l/r 2002 to use as my center for my HT setup. I was going to buy something from the BPX series to use as my rear surrounds, but I'm seeing a lot of the BP6B/8B/10B towers on ebay, and, wisdom of purchasing s ... Read More »