DCM TFE200 Floorstanding Speakers

• Power: 200W
  • Nominal Impedance: 8

Submitted by Chuck_Ds a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
I can honestly say that this is an excellent pair of speakers. In a small living room, I had to literally cover my ears at one scene in the X-men 2 DVD because the bass extension was too much. In a medium to large room you still don't need a subwoofer. But if you're an action movie enthusiast, I would still get a good sub to add that extra dimension to your DVD's (in a large room). (As a side note, I recommend anyone in the market to seriously consider the BIC Acoustech H100 as a sub. It offers the same type of value for the buck as these TFE200's and can stand up to sub's three times their price - honestly.) These speakers play music and movies extraordinarily well in my opinion and really impresses company, especially when paired with a good receiver and an acoustically friendly listening area. Beware, though. The original DCM of the 70's (early 80's) is not the same as that of the 90's. When DCM was purchased, its name and quality were really brought down. However, it was relatively recently purchased by a company who was committed to bringing the brand back to the glory, prominence, and quality on which it was originally founded. Therefore, I would strongly encourage you to stick with the Time Frame (which is one of the early products), Time Windows (another early product), or TFE (which stands for Time Frame Evolution - and is the newer model that has restored the integrity of the brand - and has exceeded it in my opinion). I haven't heard the TFE100's, but I own the TFE 200's and am thoroughly pleased - and quite frankly pleasantly surprised - with them.

My system:
Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 745
DVD Player: Marantz (I don't remember the model number off hand and I'm not typing this from home)
CD Burner/Player: TDK (I don't remember this model number either, but it's also a very good performer - although it seems like the company has moved in a different direction from cd recorders, to my dismay)

As another side note: whereas I love my receiver, I would recommend you stay away from H/K cd players. Not pleased with the sound it gives (sounded a bit low) and the model I purchased did't even have an optical connection.

Hope this helps. Happy hunting!!!

Submitted by ORBlackFZ1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
DCM TFE200

Summary: Great speaker in the under $2000 price range. Sound great with lots of solid bass. No subwoofer needed with the TFE 200. Bass fiddle plucks sound real. You might want to bi-amp them because they like the power, even though they are efficient. They want to play loud. Effortless listening for hours. No fatigue whatsoever at any listening level.

Strengths: Bass is solid. Vocals are incredible! Imaging is good, but not as good as the original Time Window. Great value for the $. No need to spend $ on a subwoofer.

Weaknesses: If you have a weak back, these speakers are not for you. They are heavy. Freight is the only way to get them shipped. They require at least entry level audiophile electronics and source. Heavy gauge wire makes a big difference in sound. Spend the extra $ for at least a 12 gauge wire or specialty speaker cables.

Equipment owned: Original DCM Time Windows (1978), Denon PRA 1500, Denon POA 2200, Denon POA 2400A, Denon DCD 3300, Kenwood KD-500 TT / Grace 707 / Grado cartridge, M&K S-1B, M&K V-3B