DCM KX-12 Floorstanding Speakers

3.62/5 (47 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

Transmission line design - (2)12" Woofers, 6" Mid and 0.75" Tweeter

Submitted by Michael Underwood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2014

Bottom Line:
I purchased the kx-12s in the fall of 98'. I hooked them up, and was very impressed with the sound for the price I paid (less than 200 from Circuit City) brand new. In the year 2000, I left home, but could not take the speakers with me. I did not have the room for them nor the system, but I craved, and missed them every day. These speakers sat unplugged and unused for 14yrs., Untill I was finally able to get them and ad them to a new ht system. I dusted them off, plugged them up, and said a prayer. After all those years of non use, they looked and played like they were brand spanking new! I can personally attest to the build quality and the materials used for these speakers.

Submitted by Dean a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2012

Bottom Line:
MY FRIEND GAVE ME A PAIR OF THE DCM KX10"S THE SOUND IS UNBELIEVABLE !!! I RUN A GREAT OLD SCHOOL SHERWOOD WITH A TEAC EQ. SPECTRUM ANYLYSER, I HAVE A SET OF BOSE 901"S AND I HONESTLY CAN SAY THE KX10"S BLOW THE BOSE AWAY POINT BLANK. I ALWAYS THOUGHT BOSE WERE THE BEST. KX10"S HAVE PROVED THAT DIFFERENT... I NOW RUN THE 901"S REAR SPREAKERS.

Submitted by baron Mcdonagh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
THESE SPEAKERS ARE BADASS NO SUB NEEDED NO I USE THEM AS LEFT AND RIGHT.... IL PROB KEEP THESE FOREVER BOUGHT THEM FOR 50 BUCKS THEY WERE STORED FOR 5 YEARS.... LOVE EM. BRING YOUR BOSE!!!

Submitted by patrick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have had a set a set of the DCm KX-12 and it preformed amazingly untill we had the smart idea to strip out of the box and put them in a custom box and put them behind my seats in my truck. from that point on i was addicted to bass. dont strip them out of the box just causes problems worked perfectly for awhile and was loud as heck my principle from my school even commented on it when i was driving in the parking lot. great sound quality untill u try to put to many watts through it. great sound system together but subs by self suck but would highly recommend this product

Submitted by TT Lover a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
First off, I read at least fifty reviews on these speakers, here and elsewhere. It's been thirty years since I was in college and I've been into high-end, but affordable, stereo since 1974. I've learned a whole lot about
audio since then and bought and sold a LOT of equipment.

I came across a pair of these DCM KX-12s at a local pawn shop. I recently had the left channel of my Adcom GFA-585 power amp develop a problem. After Internet research, I found it was common and didn't want to spend $280. plus shipping both ways to get it fixed. I'd only spent $149 TOTAL for it, the matching pre-amp and power conditioner. So, I listed it on eBay as-is and sold it for $149.95. Once the replacement amp, a Kenwood KM-X1000 arrived and I hooked it up, I found no bass from the left speaker. WTF? I took the cover off and saw the woofer jammed all the way back! It turns out the amp killed it. Sort of a murder/suicide, I guess. An autopsy revealed the voice coil had overheated and bubbled, causing the jam.

SO, I was trying to decide to replace both woofers with some Dayton 15" ones or buy something else. THUS, my trip to the pawn shop.

They had them marked down to $149 and based on the dust, they'd been there a while. I remarked on this to the pawn salesman. He said, "How's $115 sound?" So, after listening to them and assuring all six drivers were working, I bought them. They DON"T weigh 90 pounds like someone said, but they are heavy.

Hooked them up to my system and zeroed the equalizer. Just toed them in a little, then began some initial
equalization and critical listening.

Despite some reviewer's comments, they have a great sound stage. I have a LED power meter and with it displaying between 0.04 and 0.11 watts, it is a very comfortable level. About where my Optimus Pro 4000 speakers (which are 92 dB sensitive @ 1 watt) would be around 1.0 watts. Read those numbers again. Basically, they are at least twice as sensitive as the Pro 4000s are. I can believe the 99 dB I've read.

Being that I've gone from a 250 WPC amp to 130 WPC, I was looking for more sensitive speakers and I've found them!
How, what to do with the gorgeous walnut Optimus Pro 4000 speakers, less one woofer? Part them out?
They are too heavy to ship, but the walnut veneer is so pretty...........