DBX Soundfield 1a Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (10 Reviews)

Omnidirectional Speaker System

Submitted by tim a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2016

Bottom Line:
WoW ,,, I'm amazed every time I fire these babies up the love power and amaze everyone who listens ......I had pair that I bought from DBX directly in the late 80's .... I've reassembled my original system and I found this current pair 4 months ago ... Like new ! OMG!

Submitted by Bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2014

Bottom Line:
I purchased a pair of DBX Soundfield ones new 35 years ago.The are in pristine condition.I have had the woofers refoamed.The only problem I had was a defective woofer during the warranty period,which DBX replaced.

Submitted by Sam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have been a big fan of dbx for a number of years. I had seen the SF-1s once while only knowing 1 person with a pair. At that time I thought they were the most phenominal speakers I had ever heard. I finally found a used pair in mint condition and drove 95 miles to get them. I absolutely love these things. The imaging (what dbx is known for) is amazing. while the high end is very crisp and while the mids can seem a bit distant, all together the system seems very balanced. Listening to live music puts the performaers in very distinctive stage positions. Interesting thogh, while listening to classic studio work such as old Fleetwood Mac Blues (pre-Bob Welsh) or Beatles / McCartney the aura of being in the studio is enhanced beyond expectations. Playing vinyl takes on an even greater enjoyment. I do not have the controller but I do have a multi-band equalizer which helps to tame the tweeters. The 10in woofers provide a balanced low end without being over bearing or booming. I do find that I amp at a higher volume smply because the 10" drivers do not move as much air volume as would a 12' or 15" driver, but that is ok as the overall output is balanced. Positioning is vital and if there isn't a capability to postion these in mid room - then its important to postion these as far away from the walls as possible to allow for balancing and reflection (remember-they fire on all 4 sides) Without going into all of the tech spec flag waving..all I can say is that these flagship dbx SF-1s have found a home and make this home sound fantastic. They are truly an amazing speaker. DBX was a trully imaginative company giving us imaginative products. Not the same old stuff. Love them...

Submitted by david moran a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2013

Bottom Line:
The dbx SF1A is an amazing, excellent speaker but yes, you have to use the outboard EQ, absolutely. (I worked in dbx engineering through the 1980s and wrote the manuals.) The drivers are actually not cheap and perform very well, but in a time when dealers were being spiffed for designs with new polypro materials and the like and nonsense about driver 'speed', it was easy to knock them, and many competitors did. The woofers were by Tonegen (better than the original Pioneer woofers in the One and the Ten), and the tweeters were Audax or Peerless knockoffs (I think, not sure), or maybe originals. The lead tweeter was an Oaktron, made by Chuck McShane of AR3a fame and designed expressly to imitate the famously unequaled Allison tweeter. The midranges are a Pioneer cup unit, smooth and sold widely until a year or two ago (writing this in 2013). The immensely complex crossover is a sight to behold, and the amount of measurement and computing power that went into that design was and probably still is unprecedented; the oval radiation pattern was conceived following experimentation by MIT EE/psychoacoustics PhD Mark Davis, also of Dolby AC3 fame. Nobody at dbx then or since knows why ex-salesguy Ed Maidel has it in for dnx and the products and posts same every chance he gets, and believe me, many db-exers have asked. I can be reached at drmoran@aol.com for any questions. I don't defend the trashcan appearance, though there were and are worse, and subsequent dbx SF designs with curved grills were pretty handsome, at least as speakers go.

Submitted by rjmanny a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2010

Bottom Line:
I own a pair of soundfield 1As and every time I think its time for them to go i re evaluate and keep them. I would agree that the drivers are cheap--seriously cheap--if they were in any other type of speaker i am sure they would sound horrible. That said the crossover and eq turn these drivers from below ordinary to extra ordinary. If you have a big enough room--its got to be a big room because you want the speakers to be far enough apart and away from the back wall--if you can do this--have them sitting almost in the middle of a big room they are a no brainer--if you can find a pair. I have a pair of Infinity Betas preludes and a pair of reference kefs. All great speakers (speakers i would never part with not sure about the kefs yet) but if you want it to sound like you have a live band in your room the soundfields are better--I know it sounds crazy but i just did another side by side with the new kefs that i just got. The kefs are more accurate however they do not and cannot do what the sfs do. So it appears that the designers nailed their goal--create a non shifting soundfield. The only reason i think i frequently consider selling them is because it drives me nuts that the drivers are so cheap.
They are also great on the bottom end--they don[t add bass but if its on the album or cd its going to come through. The midrange can be harsh but you can tweak that. The high end is excellent but don't boost it with the eq or it will sound tinny. Leave it alone and they sound beautiful. Go get a brubeck cd sit back and listen and you will be amazed. This is the first time i have ever cared to give a review but i figure if someone finds them at a garage sale they should grab them before someone empties their trash in one--they are very challenged in that area--they really do look like a fast food trash can.