Dahlquist DQ-10 Floorstanding Speakers

4.74/5 (101 Reviews)

Submitted by Tomcat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2015

Bottom Line:
Once upon a time, there was a high end stereo shop in my home town. The repair guy was and is an absolute genius. He designed and built custom 5 way crossovers for the DQ-10. The company actually marketed these upgrades for quite a while. I have the pair that he built originally during design work and put in his own living room. They are flawless.
Yes they require power... yes the power must be clean.
Yes, you can improve the overall sound quality by adding subwoofers, mine are Dahlquist DQ-1Ws... a pair of them. These have been in the listening room of any home I have lived in for over a quarter of a century. They will not be replaced.
Setup you ask?
Preamp is the Phase Linear 4000 series two. Downstream from that is an original Dahlquist active crossover. The high end once went to a Phase Linear Dual 500... old buddy talked me out of that one. Now a Hafler 500. Clean power & great response. The bass goes to a Yamaha P7000S. Muscle on the bottom end that is clean at a good price.
I would not trade the speakers for the world. The woofers in the DQ-10s have been redone... and that is all.
Love the imaging. Had them in a living room once... and could not get the drummer out of the fireplace.

Submitted by Marcus Kelly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2015

Bottom Line:
I can only concur fully with all the comments below. Especially Paul. I have had my DQ10's since they fisrt came out in 1975, I have yet to have found something that equally matches them with out going the top of the range B&W. As technology has moved forward there are some amazing products out there like new bookshelf Bosten's A26 & CS26. But I always go back to the DQ10 for reference of what the perfect sound should sound like. I have moved on with my amp, from a massive 200W unit, which sadly packed up after 35 years to a new Rotel 60W. A very good combination if loud volume is not important. I am looking for a spare No.2 tweeter. it seems to be the only weaknes in the 5, I have blown one in all the time I have had them. For anyone who wants the ultimate listening expereince, get a second pair and stack them, with the top one upside down on the other in alignment. Use huge amps. You will hear the sound of your life, only a live concert can reproduce. Marcus RSA.

Submitted by Paul a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2012

Bottom Line:
I've owned this speaker since 1978 and cannot think of letting them go. I think they will be buried with me.

My pair have been "around the block" as they say. The bases / stands were destroyed when I have a flood in my basement but I still have them.

These are amazing speakers and still sound great after all these years. I have a different woofer in them currently but will be sending them out for rebuild to Miller Sound soon.

I cannot part with them. Find a pair, check them out, and if they are good buy them....

Submitted by Niccolosito a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2012

Bottom Line:
I just keep going back to my DQ-10s. My other choice is a pair of Vandy CE2 Sigs which are great speakers in their own right. But what actually makes these speakers sound so good to my ears is the Sonic Hologram switch on my Carver C4000. The sound stage is widened beyond belief it seems 3 dimensional. This SH circuitry expands the sound coming from any pair of speakers with the possible exception of direct/reflecting speakers like Bose 901's but the 10's just seem to do it more effectively. This may sound like a commercial for the SH but the DQ-10's just seem to do it better than the other speakers and I have 4 other sets.

Submitted by Laidbacklarry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
I GOT LUCKY and found a Pair of Dahlquist DQ 10's with Pedestals at a Local Goodwill For a Whoppin 6.88 each
for a Total of 14.45 With TAX
and What an Investment
Had to laugh when My friend who brought me said you are not going to get those in my Vehicle
I said ok watch me
So she than twisted it to what do you need them for
I simply said if you knew what they were you would not even ask that
WOW!!!
A Bit Weak In the Bass But Normal for these
I have them matched with another Pair Of OLM Walsh 3XO that I bought for as well a WHOPPIN 50.00 for the pair
They match VERY WELL