Dahlquist DQ-10

Submitted by Marcus Kelly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2015

Bottom Line:
I can only concur fully with all the comments below. Especially Paul. I have had my DQ10's since they fisrt came out in 1975, I have yet to have found something that equally matches them with out going the top of the range B&W. As technology has moved forward there are some amazing products out there like new bookshelf Bosten's A26 & CS26. But I always go back to the DQ10 for reference of what the perfect sound should sound like. I have moved on with my amp, from a massive 200W unit, which sadly packed up after 35 years to a new Rotel 60W. A very good combination if loud volume is not important. I am looking for a spare No.2 tweeter. it seems to be the only weaknes in the 5, I have blown one in all the time I have had them. For anyone who wants the ultimate listening expereince, get a second pair and stack them, with the top one upside down on the other in alignment. Use huge amps. You will hear the sound of your life, only a live concert can reproduce. Marcus RSA.

Submitted by Paul a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2012

Bottom Line:
I've owned this speaker since 1978 and cannot think of letting them go. I think they will be buried with me.

My pair have been "around the block" as they say. The bases / stands were destroyed when I have a flood in my basement but I still have them.

These are amazing speakers and still sound great after all these years. I have a different woofer in them currently but will be sending them out for rebuild to Miller Sound soon.

I cannot part with them. Find a pair, check them out, and if they are good buy them....

Submitted by Niccolosito a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2012

Bottom Line:
I just keep going back to my DQ-10s. My other choice is a pair of Vandy CE2 Sigs which are great speakers in their own right. But what actually makes these speakers sound so good to my ears is the Sonic Hologram switch on my Carver C4000. The sound stage is widened beyond belief it seems 3 dimensional. This SH circuitry expands the sound coming from any pair of speakers with the possible exception of direct/reflecting speakers like Bose 901's but the 10's just seem to do it more effectively. This may sound like a commercial for the SH but the DQ-10's just seem to do it better than the other speakers and I have 4 other sets.

Submitted by Laidbacklarry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
I GOT LUCKY and found a Pair of Dahlquist DQ 10's with Pedestals at a Local Goodwill For a Whoppin 6.88 each
for a Total of 14.45 With TAX
and What an Investment
Had to laugh when My friend who brought me said you are not going to get those in my Vehicle
I said ok watch me
So she than twisted it to what do you need them for
I simply said if you knew what they were you would not even ask that
WOW!!!
A Bit Weak In the Bass But Normal for these
I have them matched with another Pair Of OLM Walsh 3XO that I bought for as well a WHOPPIN 50.00 for the pair
They match VERY WELL

Submitted by Paul Moore a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2010

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers off CL a couple days ago for $350 so my experience with them is somewhat limited, but this level of auditory quality is rare (and absolutely criminal at this price point), so here I am writing this review...

WOW! WOW! WOW! Oh, and did I say WOW!? But before I define what "WOW!" means, I should mention which DQ-10s I have since it seems to make a bit of a difference. I have the mirror imaged type with the large yellow capped crossovers. I have them blue tacked to a pair of sand filled dual pillared Target stands about 27 inches off the floor. I have them as fronts in my HT system with no center (no room) and ADS L570s as rears with a modest Mirage subwoofer (need a better one, but still serviceable). They are powered by a Yamaha RX-V4600 surround sound receiver putting out an honest 110 watts @ 8 ohms (a VERY highly rated receiver that pushes a fair amount of current. It originally sold for $1900 a few years back). My source is a PS3 running blu-ray movies set to their lossless audio track. BTW, I also have a vintage 1979 Pioneer SX-1080 receiver (a VERY honest 120 watts per @ 8 ohms) that I plan to try with the DQ-10s. I'll do another review at a later date with that one though. Many here are pushing far more wattage through their DQ-10s, but I am here to tell you that you don't HAVE to have that much power to reach audio nirvana. I'll no doubt acquire more power later (probably stay with solid state power mated to a nice tube preamp), but for now, I have no complaints whatsoever. Now to that definition of "WOW!"...

Open, airy, smooth, dynamic, musical, rhythmic, delicate, forceful, sweet, ultra-detailed, expansive, HUGE soundstage, intoxicating, pleasant, unfatiguing, friendly, forgiving (I might modify this opinion with more 2 channel listening, but for now...), soulful, layered, complicated, honest, lush, neutral, engaging, and just plain wonderful! I have never heard a speaker that does so much so right... at ANY price much less at anywhere near 350 clams! These DQ-10s are easily the best audio speaker I've ever owned and one of the finest I've ever heard. I don't make it a habit of auditioning speakers I can't afford, but I have heard and owned some damn fine speakers in my time, but these Dahlquists are legendary for VERY good reason and sit solidly on the top of the heap! I am totally befuddled as to why they command so little on the used marketplace, but I can tell you I literally giggled all the way to the bank/ATM. Are you beginning to see what "WOW!" means?

I would be a little worried about this review costing me $$$ (I plan to get another pair someday) except that these speakers have been around for decades. Perhaps it's their square face or odd size or that they suck watts up and beg for more, but at the end of the day, It's all about the sound, and these jewels deliver the goods in a mile long freight train! Just keep dissing them you guys... at least until I get my second pair! lol

Legendary... yes, that just about sums it up. :-)