Cerwin Vega V-12F Floorstanding Speakers

• Frequency Response: 28 Hz - 20 kHz
  • Recommend Power: 10 - 300 Watts
  • Sensitivity: 98 dB
  • Impedance: 8 Compatible
  • Protection: Self-Resetting PTC (Tweeter)
  • Finish: Gray Granite Vinyl
  • Dimensions (H x W x D): 34" x 13 5/8" x 14 1/4"
  • Weight: 49 lb./22.2 kg

Submitted by Ivar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2014

Bottom Line:
Cervin Vega V12 F.
Well sounding speaker with an attack of all kinds of music, performing the sound of live music.
Not the best on singer / songwriter, smoother detais, and low cowsy levels.

But that is not what you hear an an amplified consert. What you hear is a dynamic electrified consert, with lots of transients, on a superb PA equipment.

That is what you get back on the V-12.

If you prefrer classical music, in neutrual recordings, they still do fine but are always eager to
spit a cressendo inn your face. An astonishing low budget speaker. This is not high end, maybe not even HI-FI. But the V12 is a class of its own, making most music come alive in an astoneshing way on a Malaysia budget by the builer. A low cost bullet, with no weak sides, only the strong voice of dynamic music. A hiden pearl in HI-FI history.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by mr. budget a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
For the value alone these are worth it, you can always turn the bass off. Think the e-series mighjt have an edge on these...not sure. Excellent woofer and tweeter. Very difficult to overdrive except if you really try to. Put them on a stand to reduce bass reflecting everywhere. Sensitive people beware these things hit really hard 98db, they really pressurize the room. Very easy to get evicted and annoy stupid neighbours with but create an excellent soundfield. Awesome bass, good with any reciever powerful from the jump. For the money they're hard to beat, might sound a lot better than a lot of speakers that cost more. Keep far away from tv (at least 2 ft). Can fill any room with a lot of sound. Weigh 50 lbs, if you get 15s you can't move easily67lbs, if you get 10s they're not as good as 12"s, so 12's are ideal and can compete with 15's specwise whereas 10's can't cmpt with 12"s specwise. Use them with good rcv from the start no need to put junk through them. To break in just play at regular volumes for a while each day. If you see marks on the woofer it means they were pushed a bit some are okay but too many marks means you're pushing them too hard. Just play them at reasonable volumes. Watch out for drinking and volumizing, you could wake up with everything blown, but again they can take a lot of power. Strong box approx 3/4 inch wood. Awesome for bass. Actually awesome for any music. You can get heavy duty bass out of love songs with these it's fun to hear the bass on those songs I never knew had bass! You can hear every editing problem with these. Get them the E-series might have an adv but these ones are just really close so get them for the money they should be closer priced to the e series...I just realized how really awesome these are...Get any cerwin vega speakers, they're all awesome. They grow on you over time. At first you might be a bit skeptic but after a while you realize excellent speaker excellent price. binding posts are better, could fit any size cable. Colourful Stardust sparkles on foam surrounds and beatiful blue black silver grey styling. Cerwin's been doing this for a lot of years they're not joking around with these things. Just look at the specs on www.cerwinvega.com then look at the price they can be had and then but them. Just do it. Also they have so many matching speakers for each series, you can just build amnd build with them. The range is stunning, says they go down to 28htz...not too bad at all. Watch it with pets they're more sensitive. You may not realize but you could seriously harm an animal with these 98db a lot sooner than yourself properly. If it's just me I don't care, even if my hearing is lost, I'll still be able to feel these. Just watch not to kick a hole in the woofer...darn cloth gills...the clsc series has metal grills and these would be better with metal gills...I've almost put a hole in the woofer a few times and the midrange wouldn't be to hard to poke out with a broomhandle or something. The materials are adequate. A lot of + and no real -. Thanks Cerwin Vega!

Purchased At:   n/a

Submitted by CerwinVega a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
To start off I think this is the best speaker available to the average/normal consumer that listens to 80's hard rock/metal type of music or rap/hiphop. The LS-12's I think are overall the best Cerwin Vega 12 inch speaker with the fuse and enclosure type, but V-12F's can get louder at lower volumes I"ve noticed. You should have at least 150 RMS clean watts to get the most from these speakers. I've seen on other Cerwin Vega Reviews that people use Professional amps like QSC or Peavey pushing these home audio Cerwin's with good results. But when I tried a QSC amp before I purchased the Audiosource amp three it sounded like crap with a Gemini professional preamp. I think that was because the speakers are not made for professional equipment and it was supposed to be hooked through a mixer. Anyway, I wasnt going to purchase a mixer for a home audio setup so I purchased the 150x2 Amp three which is made for home audio speakers running through an audiosource preamp and the sound was amazing! The "home audio" preamp really made the difference!

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by bogwanbj1783 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have been a cerwin vega fan for years because my parents had a pair and the sound of the speakers was amazing. So this year I wanted to buy a set of speakers on a limited budget and I knew I wanted Cerwin Vegas.. I was looking for speakers to play all types of music and still sound great as a home theater application. I also wanted speakers that incorporated the DJ professional products idea (i.e. 12 in woofers) and that could provide enough bass to knock stuff of my buddy’s wall. Finally I had a budget of under $900 to get a whole system. I ended up buying the V series speakers because after viewing other speakers online and going to Best Buy, Circuit City, and other audio places and these where the best value for what I wanted out of speakers I have two V-6’s for surround sound, the V-5 center channel and then two V-12 as my front right left speakers. I have these hooked up to the pioneer VSX-D514-K/S receiver that I bought from Circuit City for $160 down from $300 and that puts out 100 watts a channel . All together I paid around $750 for this system. At best buy you may be able to get two speakers comparable to the V-6 for that price. After hooking the system up I was amazed at the bass and the clarity of the mids and highs and the ability to fill in the caps from the bass. They are unbelievably loud and can provide as much bass as you want for those bass enthusiasts out there. Overall these speakers are an unbelievable buy for the price and sound and I challenge anyone out there looking for system that is loud enough to get evicted and good enough for home theater to find a comparable system for under $700. So if you’re on a budget, want speakers that can through a great party, and want speakers for home audio then any of the V series is a great buy. I am Amazed.

Purchased At:   Spectravox.com

Submitted by bond2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Awesome Speakers. These speakers are perfect for Music, Movies, Games, etc...The woofers provide great crisp bass, and the mids and tweeters fill in the gaps for all the voices and higher range sounds. They look awesome too. I am powering them with a Sony STRDE-595 Audio/Video Receiver. 100 Watts per channel. I can blast these things really loud and I hear very little distortion if any at all. If you want big, clear, crisp sound in a cool enclosure these are the speakers for you. Plus at $200 a piece you can't beat that. Enjoy.

Purchased At:   Sears