Cerwin Vega Re-38 Floorstanding Speakers

4.57/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $690.00

15" Woofer, 6.5" Mid and 1" Tweeter

Submitted by ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2016

Bottom Line:
I have a set of these that are powered by Sansui gs22000 220rms the sound at 200 w will not only shake the walls and loosen the nails... you will have to use the washroom due to the bass that passes through you.... so make sure you have a great big meal before you do.. just completely awesome....two thumbs up

Submitted by harlan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2012

Bottom Line:
I'm a huge fan of listening to music the way it's supposed to be heard! And for that reason, I've always been super particular with my sound equipment. I was a teenager when I bought my first high end home stereo system. I worked all year to afford everything i wanted! I bought a "Sony ES STRG8es" for $999.00 (this was when Sony's high end stuff was still real good, unlike now) witch sounded amazing! very clear and powerful sound. Then I bought a pair of "Cerwin Vega RE-38's, at $499 each. i had been gazing at for almost a year, praying i'd be able to get them eventually! And... I finally got them. and had a HQ receiver to play them on. And I gotta say... I was 100% pleased with them! They held up so well, and were so powerful, that I ended up buying a 2nd pair! thats a total of 4 Cerwin Vega RE-38's in 1 room! Oooohh loud! I will agree that the highs weren't exactly as good as i'd liked them to be, but the mids were always real solid i thought. I then bought the Cerwin Vega 15' powered sub (5 15" woofers in 1 room now), and a pair of the Cerwin Vega LS series rear surround sound speakers and a LS center speaker as well. I was never as pleased with the Cerwin Vega LS series. I personally think the "RE" series was some what of the last real solid speaker series Cerwin Vega made. I ended up replacing the Cerwin Vega center and surround speakers with the "Bose Cubes", witch sounded excellent! So now i was running the "RE 38's" as my fronts, the Cerwin Vega 15' powered sub, and "Bose Cubes" for the center and surround speakers. With the Bose Cubes picking up that slack the Vega's had in the "highs" area, it sounded great! I ran this set up for over 10 years! I blew the glass out of the window in this room while rocking out real loud! True story! Also, these speakers come with a fuse safety system witch allows these speakers to be basically un-blowible! Any time the speaker is being pushed to the point of the speaker being put at a risk of blowing, the small little fuse mounted on the back of the box simply pops and cuts the speaker out, so to avoid damage to the speaker. I loved these speakers!

With the start of 2012, i thought it was a good time to upgrade my system. It had been almost 12 years since i bought this system. So I moved the old system down to the den, and decided to upgrade everything, in a big way. First i bought a new receiver. A "Denon ARV-2312CI" for $899.00. This thing sounds awesome. With every possible option you could imagine! Google it! Then for speakers, I decided to go with a brand I'd always wanted but up til now could never afford. And those would be non other then the "Definitive Technology - Bipolar BP-8060ST" tower speakers at $999.00 each, the "Definitive Technology Bipolar CS-8060HD" center channel at $699.00, and the "DEfinitive Technology SR-8040BP" surround speakers at $249.oo each. A quick summary... my new system is by far the best I've ever had or personally even heard! Absolutely phenomenal Everything from Jazz, to Rap, to Rock, to movies! Amazing highs and powerful lows! BUT!... with all the technology i have now, and the massive quality (and price) jump i made here, I STILL absolutely love the old sound system, and she still is actively kept alive in the den on almost a daily basis.

So I guess in comparing the Cerwin Vega RE-38's to the hi tech ,high quality and high priced "Definitive Bipolar BP8060ST" series that i'm currently running , how would I personally say they hold up?... Very nicely! Obviously the "Definitives" sound better. More clear, and wide ranging. There a much higher speaker on the totem poll. However, I absolutely love my "Cerwin Vega RE-38's"! I still rock out to them in my den all the time! And would never part with them! Those bad boys seriously ROCK! If i was a shopper looking for something in the fields of what this discussion is about, I personally would jump on the chance to grab a pair of these if in good condition and for a fair price.

My personal rating for the "Cerwin-Vega RE-38'":
Bass Port output = 7
-Overall as a "floor Loud Speaker" = 8

Submitted by sctty338 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
best speakers i have ever had, incredibly deep bass rivals some subwoofers and the highs are surprisingly crisp and clear for speakers with such head pounding bass. i use a yamaha receiver on them and the 2 work together flawlessly. rival alot of speakers made today and very well made and virtually indestructible

Submitted by PatRealtor76 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers in 1992 when I was 16. I recall paying something like $700, big bucks for a kid in high school. I still have them as the mains in my surround system in my basement family room. I have used these continuously since I bought them and they sound as good as the day I brought them home, matter of fact they sound better since my current amp is better than the old Sony I had in 92'. My musical tastes have changed a little since I was younger, I listen to a lot of jazz on my B&W 802's in the living room, but if I want to listen to some Megadeth, or some Public Enemy, I'm in the basement on 5 channel stereo (all Cerwin Vega including sub). I don't think I will ever part with these speakers, I will be replacing them in my surround system with a B&W cm system, but I think these will wind up in my garage driven by a pair of NAD 2200 amps. If you listen to rock, or any bass heavy music, these are incredible, work well for a surround setup too.

Submitted by dob67 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
What can be said that hasn't been said? I am not an audiophile, I like my music LOUD. I like to experience it. After my house was broken into and my old stereo was stolen(JBL L-100's and Carver amp), I looked into all the reviews here and after finding some re38's on Craigslist I purchased them, along with an Adcom GFA 555 II.

Let me say this the music has never felt so good. BASS!!!!!! and all around crisp sound. If you don't get the cops called then you don't like it loud. My nieghbors love me.

I would recomend these to anyone who loves music, loves to listen to and feel it. I am just a music lover, and I love these.