Cerwin Vega LS-12 Floorstanding Speakers

4.47/5 (77 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

12" 3-Way Floor Speakers

Submitted by Think420 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2012

Bottom Line:
I own a set of the LS-12s and a set of the newer (Chinese Made) VE-12Fs and the old LS-12s sound much better than the VE-12Fs. That being said, I wanted so much to like the sound quality of the Cerwins, but no matter how much I fiddle with my EQ levels and no matter which of my three different receivers I hook them up to they just don't reproduce sound well. They look amazing! and that is what drew me to them in the first place, but the sounds that come out of this brand is muddy at best. I feel like the crossovers they put in these things rob the music of clarity. If you like bass in the range of 80hz to 125hz you may like these speakers. I like deep 30hz - 60hz bass and typically will adjust the 100hz down to a tolerable level. With this brand you can't adjust the 100hz type bass down far enough for comfort and clarity no matter what you do. I feel like there is a very limited bass response to anything under 60hz with these. LS-12s are a little better with the low bass than the VEs. The mids and highs are very unbalanced in Cerwin Vegas and they sound dirty and shrilly. They do get loud and are good for house parties and backyard bbqs but if you are looking to sit and enjoy some good music at reasonable volumes forget about these speakers and get anything but these speakers. I have floor standing Sonys, Pioneers, Bic Americas, and a set of tower speakers the cabinets of which I constructed myself that house (2) 12" speakers, a mid, and a horn pizzo tweeter each...All of the other speakers sound worlds better than the Cerwins do. It's sad because I realllly wanted to like the CV floor standing speakers, but I just can't warm up to them no matter how much I try, and my ears rejoice when I go back to my other speakers everytime. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but i felt obligated to give an honest review based on my 30 years of being an audio enthusiast. Also it sucks that CV probably laid off American workers, because all of their products are now made in China, (like everything else) but are still charging an arm and a leg for their beautiful yet dirty sounding speakers. Just sayin'

Submitted by RedishThunder a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2012

Bottom Line:
These are my most favorite set of floor speakers I have ever owned. Before them I used to chance my whole setup every few years. Prior too these I was running a pair of older Infinity Alpha 10's on an old Technics Amp. They sounded good especially on the highs but lacked thundering bottom end and had zero midrange. After my brother gave me these I ran them on the Technics Amp briefly and they sounded OK. Then ran them on a newer Sony Receiver, which sounded like crap. It never really powered them very well. The Sony was a step down from the Technics. Then came my current setup. After listening to a friends pair of 70's Marantz Amps I felt they would likely be able to give the Cerwins the extra umph needed to really make the 12's shine. I was very right. That 25 year old makes most new stuff sound like crap. At 100 watts per channel these things sound like depth charges when a really low frequency comes slamming off the cones. Most night clubs seem a little quiet compared to my living room. Try out Sleigh Bells-Riot Rythm and hear what I'm talking about. Make sure you have a good amp for these babies. I agree with what many people have stated about using a strong enough amp to feed these. The Technics was underpowered and the Sony was embarrasing, it always felt like the amp gave up way before the speakers did. My Marantz iced the cake and made the whole damn setup 100% American made. There might be better but not for the same price these speakers go for.

Submitted by (O0o*o0O) a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
My main speakers that shall always be in my collection. I buy, sell, and trade to help support my audiophlia. I have had the chance to replace these speakers many times over. The only pair that ever came close was a pair of Infinity SM-155. I found the 12" Cerwin Vegas had deeper bass then the 15" Infinitys. The highs were far better on the Infinitys, but at the time I had a tweeter out. I went Cerwin Vega.
Fuse protected 300 watt crossover terminals, but really wished they would have originally came with bi-amp terminals. The .75" tweeters are not something you should expect to have forever. As I may have led on I blew one and replaced both in each cabinet. The cabinets could have been made with a little thicker MDF, but Cerwin Vega isn't a furniture maker. The 5.25" mids and woofers I have no complaints on even though I have since replaced them both.
From the beginning these speakers have been superior to most when it comes down to 2-channel stereo. Classic Rock, Rap, or whatever Bjork is the Cerwin Vega LS series towers rock balls. I could see going with something else or something in addition to the Cerwin Vegas for Classical listeners. I have add a pair of Klipsch SF2 speakers for special interest listening!
All in all however you obtain these speakers there worth your dollar, your attention, or the repair. I have owned a few pair of 15" 3-way Cerwin Vega speakers and have always preferred the 12". I can only assume I would rather enjoy the LS-10's.

Submitted by Devon Hodgson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
Great. Especially for the price ($125/ea). If I didn't already own the E-315's (which I paid less for), I would have been astounded by the complete sound package. Sure, a pair of nice infinity's will sound nicer, but for the price you really can't beat them. Oh, and the LS-12's are in my dorm room, and we throw movie nights and get noise complaints from upstairs.

In a nut shell: these speakers sound the way all speakers should, bass that is there through the entire specified power input, and a good midrange/ tweeter balance. Basically, whatever your music preference, these will be there.

Dorm Setup

Sony ss-b1000 rear channels
custom 500watt (rms) subwoofer tuned to 20hz

Submitted by Randall Bales a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2010

Bottom Line:
One of the best speakers made for rock music. I have a set of 4 using Sansui 500 watt amp. Therotically... 4 way breaks it down to 150 watts per speaker but no problem since the speakers are rated at 300 watts. They handle all the amp can give distortion free.

Product model year:   2007