Cerwin Vega L-7B Floorstanding Speakers

4.44/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $170.00

2 way bookshelf, 7in woofer, 1in tweeter

Submitted by rudeboyrobbo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
As owner of a few pairs of high efficiency speaker systems, most notably a pair of vintage Altec Lansing 846B Valencias, I just wanted to stick up for these little Cerwin Vega L-7s. I got my pair via a craigslist posting the other day, $35 for the pair and I'm still blown away by how nice they sound paired with the excellent little Dayton Audio Class T Digital Audio Amplifier Modules I've been experimenting with. The L7s are a perfect match for this little 10 Watt /channel (RMS) amp that kicks out audiophile quality sound -- and lots of clean sound is the result. These are indeed high efficency speakers that will perform nicely with the wimpiest 98-pound weakling of amp powering the system.

I can understand why others have noted that the L7s lack "sizzle" but I think this is exactly why I like them so much. While the bass is surprisingly strong and smooth, this smoothness extends through the top frequencies providing a wide sound stage and dynamic transitions without a hint of harshness on the top end. This makes for the sort of sound one can listen to for hours without fatigue. Once you settle in while listening, you start to appreciate the overall clarity of this 2-way system. No muddy spots, no hot spots, just smooth, strong, and well voiced.

Submitted by drewsk404 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
Not sure about product model year, guessing the L7's originally came out around 1997. Anyway, I saw these speakers at a garage sale and couldn't pass them up because I already owned a pair of CV's AT-10's and they are great. The L7's have a decently broad soundstage and don't seem to be missing any particular band of the frequency range. The 6.5" woofer is excellent at reproduction of the mid-frequency range, and is capable of producing punchy, clean bass as well. The crossovers seem to be about right, however vocals/highs are not really sharp enough because the plastic-sounding tweeter is muddy and lacking efficiency when compared to the woofer. This becomes less noticable at higher volume levels, but this should not be necessary to enjoy these speakers. I am considering upgrading the tweeters in these speakers in the manner that another reviewer on here advised, which is probably all they need to sound like $500+ speakers.

Purchased At:   Garage Sale

Submitted by xxnite a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Do yourself a favor... Ditch the standard tweeter and order a replacement pair of tweeters for the Cerwin Vega VS-150's... It's a dual diaphram tweeter with ultra-high sensitivity ($50/pair from CV).

The difference is night-and-day... Your L7's will "sizzle" and sound complete! not overly-bassy. I talked to CV tech support and they gave me the idea to use the upgraded tweeter. You will have to 'slightly' dremel the outside of the standard tweeter opening to accomodate the [+-] leads a litrtle and drill new holes for the four screws, but it is without-a-doubt worth it. :)

Purchased At:   online @ Spidergear.

Submitted by Ryan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers. They're small yet put out as much base as you'd find in some larger speakers, and the bass is clear and solid. I first bought these after comparing the sound to a pair of Bose of the same price range and simlar model and the Cerwin not only had more base but the treble was clearer, more lively than the Bose. I was surprised back then cause I hadn't heard of Cerwin Vega. There was a 5 year warrantee on it so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I didn't. I was going to blow these at the end of 5 years and get the new model but I like them so much that I couldn't do it.

Purchased At:   Can't Rem. Went out of Bus.

Submitted by Frank Carlson a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
If you can find these used and undamaged - buy them -
them will improve the soundscape for your bedroom -
as they have done for me.

I bought them originally upon the recommendation of
Consumer Reports and I have not been let down.

I try always to get the most bang for the buck.

These speakers are probably only available on the
used resale market - my advice is to check speakers
against damaged speakers before buying.

Meanwhile these speakers keep me entertained
- provide sound confetti to mask outside sound
so that my dogs will not bark while I am away at work!

Purchased At:   Best Buy