Cerwin Vega HT-12PWR Floorstanding Speakers

3.09/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

12" Powered Subwoofer (1995-1997)

Submitted by Audio Phile a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2012

Bottom Line:
I picked up the Cerwin Vega HT-12 PWR subwoofer at a thrift store for under $100. At first I was very skeptical to purchase it, first, because there was no way to test it and second because of the reviews on this site. I went ahead and got it because I was convinced that some of the reviews on this site were extremely unfair. I took it home and plugged into my Pioneer CDJ-2000, DJM-800 professional audio system and turned it on. Well, it instantly smashed all the windows in the house while making every wall, floor and ceiling at home resonate! My initial setting of Auto off and Phase 0 caused the thing to clip every 30 seconds, completely cutting out for over a minute. I flipped the switch to Auto and Phase to 180 and turned the frequency down below 45 Hz and it put out pure bass vibration. I say vibration because at these frequencies the sound because subsonic; you don't hear it but you simply feel it. It did just that! So, I think it was a great purchase. It gives me more than enough bass for my purposes. In fact, the bass is so strong and loud that I am sure it would give any listener a run for their money. I would recommend it to supplement an already good sound system. I find it does an excellent job at keeping mid-range frequencies out, unlike what other reviewers wrote, while the speaker pass through connections allow you to run your audio out to any speaker system that you already have, without dampening. I think the outer construction is solid, the speaker quality material above average and the overall unit with electronics very good. So for under $100, I was able to actually upgrade my system into having more dynamic bass, with active crossover. You see, I already have a mixer/filter in front of the unit so I can adequately control what I want to send to the subwoofer. All in all, I would recommend purchasing it. I think you're going to get more bang for the buck and really enjoy it. On listening, I heard no clipping, no distortion, no muffling, no hiss and no 60 Hz noise. If you are looking for a great vintage subwoofer get this; you won't be disappointed. I saw on ebay the going rate for the subwoofer ranges from $300 to $500. Pick it up to supplment your main speakers and high range. Best of luck!

Submitted by Kal a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
how much do thay worth as pear

Submitted by Greg Pretsch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
For the first point Cerwin-Vega is not an audiphile quality speaker company and it can not compete with the other brands mentioned above. I heard this speaker at at a dealer and also read reviews on it. Its decibal rating after around 60hz drops to the floor . It only produces a measly 68db at the claimed 25hz, and doesnt do much from 45-25 period. Im not sure what this sub retails for but I know its around $400. For that money you could get a Hsu Research 10 which is flat down to around 28hz (at an online site) or a def tech 10 or some other quality brand. Please do not buy this or other Cerwin Vega subs if you want tight bass musical refinement and sub that can handle low frequencies.

Submitted by Arthur Soifer a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 1999

Bottom Line:
Like the previous reviewer, I have the older HT-12PWR, front firing, 150 watt, remote volume control model. Bought new at J&R Music World for $378 delivered. This unit goes low and loud. 106db average from 25-50Hz. That is fine performance. It matches very well with my KEF Q70's. When I bought it in 1995, you couldn't touch this level of performance for less than $800-$900. This subwoofer is a poor man's Velodyne F-1200R for 1/4 the price. Overall, 5 star rating.

Submitted by Loren Oswald a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
....mmmm... I must have an older model. My HT-12 is front firing, but still with a 12" woofer and a 150 watt amp. I'm not sure why the list price of my sub was so much higher than the others I see in this review. The list was $900, sale price $600, in Crutchfield. Maybe the front firing sub was getting closed out, maybe it is a different model all together. When I first purchased it, I was happy with the volume and clarity of the sound. I can't say the same after upgrading my current system and having the chance to hear true "high-end" products. It just doesn't shine anymore. The sub is able to put out lots of volume of low sound, but it's just too muddy. After upgrading, as stated above, I essentially do not need the sub anymore, I have turned the volume down to almost zero. Perhaps it will still be useful for LFE's when I finally hook my stereo to my television. Please audition other subs before purchasing this one. And another thing, the remote control arrived broken.
My system:
Adcom GTP-540 preamp
Adcom GFA-5500 power amp (also rated in audioreview)
Pioneer PD-M552 CD player
Monster HTS-2000 line conditioner (also rated in audioreview)
AR 308HO, biwired (also rated in audio review)
Cerwin Vega HT-12PWR subwoofer